Midfielders you never really liked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Monty, Bobby Ford
John Gannon
I just never got what brought to the team, he just seemed to treat the ball like a hot potato. He never looked composed on the ball just used to get rid of it quickly with flick ons more often than not to opposition players.
I agree. To be fair i thought Sir Bob Booker & Gannon were limited (I'm being generous) as midfiekd players. I used to call Gannon, 'Johnny one pace'. Both played in a Bassett long ball side that got promotions so didn't see that much of the ball. Booker had a huge heart which he pinned to the Blades mast & scored some key goals which endeared him to many.

Johnny one pace, for me, did little. Then out of no where scored a screaming RIGHT footed volley against Forest away.

I’ve got to page 2 of this thread and can’t believe no one has mentioned Dean Hammond8A397CF9-F572-4158-9133-BBB9C3284195.jpeg

We missed him badly when he was unavailable away at Wednesday and then in the Play-Off Final.

Can’t believe he’s even been mentioned in this thread tbh.
Just thinking about that game. We were flying at the time KM was replaced by Monty. For the 1st half hour Blades were the better side & they didn't seem to notice Monty was there. Williamson smashed the bar with a free kick but eventually the Monty presence took hold... rest is history.

When Mam & Dad came home from the night out, if he was acting the goat with her, she used to always used to say,
"that's it now, i'm going to find Stevie Neville and make a home with him" ... she knew from all his tales that Stevie N
was a player that always riled Father LYDON nerves. You should have seen the look on her face when he came home
one night with a loose perm hairdo. Another name, Johnny Gannon - The Pantomime Horse, both ends, but at different times.

His all time favourite footballer was a midfielder, "The Maestro". Or was it a goalkeeper?
Neville was a forward. Another that never did it for us
Remember at 14yrs me & my mate travelling 6 hours to Exeter, arrived at 1 o clock & had to go inside cos we weren't old enough to have a drink. 2 minutes into the game we were 2 - 0 down. This was the first of many times we both thought wtf are we doing here. Eventually lost 3 - 1 (Neville scored 2) & we signed Neville soon after.

A very long day!!!

Michael Doyle. I get that he was committed and that he was passionate about playing for us, I just don't think he was very good.

EDIT: except for the Cockney walk. Chapeau for that.
I agree regarding Doyle's ability. Listening to him speak, it seems he was a good leader & stepped up in the play off final to take his penalty. Think he was very lucky to play in such a good midfield.

Correct, a great cross in from Gannon😉
Always worth posting this clip

After Davison attained legendary status that day, my mate had tankards made to commemorate the game. At the time I was running coaches from Heeley & Sheffield pub & he brought his tankards to sell.

Originally he had quoted £20 per tankard but the price had dropped to a fiver. Reason:
The tankard read:
Pigs 1 Blades 3
Bobby DAVIDSON
2 goals

They spelt his name wrong on all tankards 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nick Henry and Paul Thirlwell, but I don’t think they had any redeeming qualities.
Nick Henry was a big disappointment. His best game by far was the play off 2nd leg at Ipswich where he promptly got sent off & missed the final. Brilliant 😁😁

When Charlie Hartfield and Paul Rogers were the midfield two you knew it was a game we'd struggle in.
Charlie Hartfield was a player that I always 'nearly' liked. I always felt he had potential but never quite got there.
Paul Rogers was rubbish & another of a long list of of work horses that couldn't pass water.

One for the oldies: Steve Charles, tipped for a big future but never fulfilled.

Sticking strictly to the thread title I can’t include players like Monty and Doyle - I liked them because of their attitude towards playing for us.

I’ll always ‘like’ a limited trier over a gifted ‘waster’ any day.

See Monty v Harper - we all know one was a better footballer but god I hated Harper but liked Monty.

I also don’t think Monty was as bad as some make out.

We missed him badly when he was unavailable away at Wednesday and then in the Play-Off Final.

Can’t believe he’s even been mentioned in this thread tbh.

I liken it to an ex you'd had a brief fling with. Fantastic, intense, but as soon as a guy with more money came along, off she went, head turned. You're left telling yourself what a crap shag she was even though you know you're lying to yourself.

Kmac was a long way from the worst, in fact on his day he was superb, but got his head turned.

Also Ian Hamilton (the second one) was awful and (tin hat time) I didn't rate Nick Montgomery.

Yes the 1st one "Chico" Hamilton was ace, I never understood the adulation of Monty but he was sort of like Marmite.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ian Hamilton!! Fucking hell he was shite. My heart used to sink when his name was on the team sheet. Most players have the odd good game or even good spell, not Hamilton, complete shite.

He's been mentioned about 20 times already!
lol

Monty, Bobby Ford

I agree. To be fair i thought Sir Bob Booker & Gannon were limited (I'm being generous) as midfiekd players. I used to call Gannon, 'Johnny one pace'. Both played in a Bassett long ball side that got promotions so didn't see that much of the ball. Booker had a huge heart which he pinned to the Blades mast & scored some key goals which endeared him to many.

Johnny one pace, for me, did little. Then out of no where scored a screaming RIGHT footed volley against Forest away.

SEB can I ask is your dislike for Matthews like mine for the fact he bottled the penalty against Walsall, all those years ago. I have always said if he'd taken it and missed fans would forgive, it's the bottling they cannot forgive.

That was a big part of it. I just never thought he was all that, even though he played most weeks.

Monty, Bobby Ford

Gannon could thrill and kill us fans in same game, Haich I may be wrong so sorry if am, I seem to have a mindset of Gannon scoring 2 and we let him take penalty for hat trick, and he blazed it over. What Booked lacked in skill he made up for in enthusiasm in spades, and always got that vital gaol.

SEB can I ask is your dislike for Matthews like mine for the fact he bottled the penalty against Walsall, all those years ago. I have always said if he'd taken it and missed fans would forgive, it's the bottling they cannot forgive.

It is for me. I've always been utterly convinced that a lot of the stick that has gone Don Givens way should have gone Matthews way instead, and it's shameful that it didn't really.

Lee Evans for me. Never rated him and thought he contributed very little to our performances apart from that goal against 'Boro.

To be fair to him it wasn't always going to be straight forward performing the Coutts role.

Coutts became injured in November so we had to wait until the JTW for Evans' arrival and even though he was far from perfect he steadied the ship at least.

I went to his first match for us in Jan 2018 away at Norwich (won 2-1, Man U loanee James Wilson and Donaldson scored) and his performance felt like Coutts was back! But after that initial appearance he faded away for the remainder of the season.

Never going to be easy replacing Coutts but Evans' signing still demonstrated how quickly we identified a replacement. Thankfully though we signed Norwood on loan in that year's summer window and sold Evans to Wigan so we only had him for half a season in the end, a perfect and fully justified example of Wilder's ruthlessness!

I can’t believe it. Over 100 posts and no one has mentioned John Gannon!

Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all. He was certainly a marmite type player. The number of times you’d hear him referred to under a different name at the start - Bloody John Gannon!

He had a bit of skill about him but my abiding memory is him missing a penalty at the Bramall Lane end. He skied it. I think it was against Southampton.

He was a guy that wanted to pass it in a team that didn't want him to pass it. I thought he got a lot of stick unfairly tbh. He wasn't the greatest of footballers but he did have a bit of skill I agree.

Lee Evans for me. Never rated him and thought he contributed very little to our performances apart from that goal against 'Boro.

I saw his debut at Norwich and I came away from that match thinking we'd definitely found the replacement for Paul Coutts. He played really well, very calm and assured, pulling the strings in midfield in what was a great victory for us, and all the sweeter coming after those dreadful time-wasting tactics by Norwich in the previous game at Bramall lane.

He didn't over-impress after that but I still think he was a decent signing - it's just that when you compare what he offered to what Norwood offers it's chalk and cheese.

Charlie Hartifield

Never seemed like a footballer to me, and more a thug who won some sort of fan competition to play for his favourite team.

Leon Britton

Never bothered. Clearly was a class player before and after his stint with us. But somehow it all went AWOL for that season with us and because of that I always held a grudge against him, especially considering we went down to League 1 the end of that season

Good shout. Just seemed like a very basic player who was usually anonymous. That goal against Boro is one of the best I’ve ever seen live though.

In fairness, he filled a gap for a few months and we somehow managed to make a profit on him, allowing us to sign Ollie Norwood.

[QUOTE="guancheblade, post: 2755846, member:

Leon Britton

Never bothered. Clearly was a class player before and after his stint with us. But somehow it all went AWOL for that season with us and because of that I always held a grudge against him, especially considering we went down to League 1 the end of that season
[/QUOTE]
Didn't help him having to see the ball continually being launched over his head.

Back
Top Bottom