Midfield options and Robinson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeTillIDie

Reaction score
We have 3 CAM's now but i think were light in CM. If Fleck/Norwood get injured or were playing away at a top side who fills in? Ideally we need a defensive minded type player to fill in occasionally.

CM;
Fleck/Norwood/Lundstram
CAM;
Duffy/Freeman/Morrison

Also surely Robinson will be a main striker?

Does anyone get the feeling that Wilder doesn't think Duffy can handle the Prem? Three signings who pretty much all play that position.

He seemed to do this last season by initially playing a flat three, then trying Woodburn before turning back to Duffy. Interesting to see what happens this one.....

We will probably find Ravel deployed as the Coutts.

Competition for Norwood more so than Duffy / Freeman.

Maybe !

UTB

I can’t see it, I think Ravel will be given the ‘free role’ get on the ball and do a bit of magic type of role. Certainly not a get on the ball and be the pivot player like Norwood is

I can’t see it, I think Ravel will be given the ‘free role’ get on the ball and do a bit of magic type of role. Certainly not a get on the ball and be the pivot player like Norwood is

He can do either. Many of his games out in Sweden he’s played the deeper role and he was more of a centre mid than an attacking mid at lazio.

More of a deeper lying playmaker than a keep us ticking over Coutts / Norwood type.

I reckon Wilder has offered him a deal as cover for all of the midfield positions rather than one specific slot. If he’s head is right he’s got the ability to make any of those positions his own.

He can do either. Many of his games out in Sweden he’s played the deeper role and he was more of a centre mid than an attacking mid at lazio.

More of a deeper lying playmaker than a keep us ticking over Coutts / Norwood type.

I reckon Wilder has offered him a deal as cover for all of the midfield positions rather than one specific slot. If he’s head is right he’s got the ability to make any of those positions his own.

I agree he could do both, I do feel he can offer us more going forward rather than keeping us ticking over.

We certainly need competition for fleck and Norwood. Going into the premier with only 3 out and out CM (Lundstrum) won’t help us at all

Does anyone get the feeling that Wilder doesn't think Duffy can handle the Prem? Three signings who pretty much all play that position.

He seemed to do this last season by initially playing a flat three, then trying Woodburn before turning back to Duffy. Interesting to see what happens this one.....

I don't think it's a case of him not believing in Duffy, it's just that he needs other options in there. Duffy has been good with injuries so far but he is 33 now and his opponents in the PL will be fitter, stronger and faster than anything he has faced in the last few seasons. Plus Freeman can cover CM and Robinson is more of a wide forward/striker than CAM, so they were brought in with more than an eye for the CAM role. Duffy also managed plenty of game time last season when McG was increasingly dropping into his role.

He can handle the competition, and is easily good enough for the step up, in fact I would argue that his close control and dribbling is as good as most in the PL already.

Think Morrison will be more like the Ched signing first season back in the Championship, in respect to getting him fit and if needs be playing him and seeing if he can keep his place.

Ched failed and wasn't upto the level of the championship. Rav I think could make the step up but we as fans will need to be patient. Bigger impact after Xmas or next season if i had to guess at the moment.

Lundstram will play a bigger part than we all realise I think.

Yes tonight was only a friendly but he looked impressive when he came on in the second half. He’s also been brought on a number of occasions last season and looked more then competent.

I do agree that we need strengthening in that area but I don’t think it’s as big of a crisis as we might imagine.

Love duff but can’t take any prisoners , duff will get his chance but there’s no room for sentiment

People are saying we are a few players short whilst in pre season seem to forget this is normal.

I hope you are correct.

Everyone knows how good I have been at spotting “issues” in the past.

And in the CAM area, I can tell you that Luke Freeman (after just 100 or so minutes that I have seen) is not the answer.

More worrying, is that the mercurial Mark Duffy may be on the slide. Not saying his legs have gone, but they might be going !😞

UTB

All the talk is about strikers which we obviously need but CM does worry me. I'm not sure about Fleck or Lunny in the Prem and at times last season neither looked great in the Championship. We need a Leroy Fer type player, someone with a physical presence that can go box to box.

I hope you are correct.

And in the CAM area, I can tell you that Luke Freeman (after just 100 or so minutes that I have seen) is not the answer.

More worrying, is that the mercurial Mark Duffy may be on the slide. Not saying his legs have gone, but they might be going !😞

UTB

Freeman is perfect to have alongside Norwood, he has the legs to get up and down and needs to be busy. I think the 10 role for him certainly isn't the way moving forward. Get him alongside Norwood and give him the free role.

I would like the option of a big strong fucker who the ball sticks to.

Not sure if we have the presence and quality to get hold of the ball enough in the middle third currently.

I think our attacking options will be more than adequate but winning the ball and getting it to them regularly may be a problem at PL level.

The link to Sander Berge would make sense, no matter how optimistic of us that was.

We will probably find Ravel deployed as the Coutts.

Competition for Norwood more so than Duffy / Freeman.

Maybe !

UTB

Big fat maybe... he'll be technically the best finisher and dribbler at the club. Be a waste to play him so deep.

Not sure if we have the presence and quality to get hold of the ball enough in the middle third currently.

I think our attacking options will be more than adequate but winning the ball and getting it to them regularly may be a problem at PL level.

The link to Sander Berge would make sense, no matter how optimistic of us that was.

LEROY FER!! Come on Chrissy, you know it makes sense.

The only big man we need is the CB who goes up top for the last 5mins. The PL focus on possession, technique and energy - lumping it up front to a big man means 50% of the time possession is lost and the midfield skills are bypassed. Our style pivots on Norwood switching the attack and then we overload that area, Didsy works as his intelligent flicks allow the pivot to reverse for the WB/CB to attack the space.
The signings hopefully are the finishers we need to take more advantage of the chances created but we also need protection of the pivot, Fleck does it at present but a "Kante" type enforcer would be a good upgrade. Lunny might do it if he continues his progress and studies what that role means for the team- but PL experience is crucial for that role - Jags as a DM if his Legs hold out maybe a temporary solution.

The only big man we need is the CB who goes up top for the last 5mins. The PL focus on possession, technique and energy - lumping it up front to a big man means 50% of the time possession is lost and the midfield skills are bypassed. Our style pivots on Norwood switching the attack and then we overload that area, Didsy works as his intelligent flicks allow the pivot to reverse for the WB/CB to attack the space.
The signings hopefully are the finishers we need to take more advantage of the chances created but we also need protection of the pivot, Fleck does it at present but a "Kante" type enforcer would be a good upgrade. Lunny might do it if he continues his progress and studies what that role means for the team- but PL experience is crucial for that role - Jags as a DM if his Legs hold out maybe a temporary solution.
Fleck doesn’t just protect Norwood though. He carries the ball, linking midfield to attack. I don’t think Lunny has got that in his skill set.

I do agree that lumping long balls to a big man won’t be very effective. Unless we sign Fellaini ;)

As a blade who lives in Preston and gets to see Preston play more than us I can tell you that Robinson has nor once played in the cam roll at Deepdale he is not a cam I presume we will use him in a mcgoldric roll

I hope you are correct.

UTB
Dem eyeballs 😍

UTB

I hope you are correct.

UTB
Everyone? Really? You're being a bit presumptive there ? Tha sounds like a "Big Eeaed". Most unbecoming of a Blade, in my humble opinion.

Shall we give Chris your number so he can get some advice when it goes tits up for a few games? ;)

Back
Top Bottom