Middlesbrough v. Sheffield United - 12/08/2017

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The live long shot from the game when frozen at the point of the corner being taken looked ok.
I don't think there was any need to find any other image - apart from trying to justify a wrong decision :(

Indeed - don't you just hate scrappy goals like what we conceded.

UTB
I hate it a lot more now it's cost us points FB :(

I'd like to say that I'd have saved it mate but the sad fact is it's stilll have beaten me even if I'd stayed on the line.

for 92 mins i was thinking we played alright considering all gulfs that we all know & if basham had headed it away not up. it wouldve been 0-0 & a very good point. also learning experience because we well have learnt so much from this evening because we got to take chances. clarke was huge chance. we've also got to get better defensively as 1st half we got battered couldnt cope gestede also Sharp was so quiet. was glad to be 1-0 at half time but after we played so much better 2nd half shouldve got a point. ive got confidence we can bounce back v warnock on Tuesday & maybe get all 3 pts

but that lino needs banning. he was useless all the game. numerous times he gave offside when they were clearly on. as he couldnt tell a offside if it punched him in the face also what irrated me more than disallowed goal was how officials completely ignored 2 fouls in same build up with 1 dragged over & Clarke getting grabbed

i was realistic to know for me was a bonus game. this & derby were the games that terrified me in august when the fixtures came out. as we are playing a newly relegated title favs away in our 2nd game back. the facts show we in different finicinal league to Middlesbrough
  • they spent 43m compared our 1.5/2m
  • they spent 25m to get promotion 45m in the PL & then 43m this season after relegation
  • 15m for assombalonga. utd 2010 - 2017 transfer fees 7m
  • brought a 7m striker off the bench & they theyve got last seasons 1st choice gk at West ham in net, only dropped because Hart went to west ham

Coutts should be pushing forward! Two crossfiild balls where ok, but he keeps plays the easy ball (mostly backwards) all the time better second half so far, I would like to see us have a shot though!

Thats the way we played all lasr season. Not saying youre wrong btw.

More hysteria from the world of Sheffield Utd fans. I feel like we're so used to being in league -
1, that many of our fans have forgotten that teams are allowed to just simply be better than we are.

As much as some fans want it not t be the case, Middlesbrough and ourselves will be slogging it out in different parts of the table this season. We didn't look great yesterday, but that's because we were against the highest quality opposition we have played in 7 years.

A dose of reality is desperately needed amongst our fanbase. My big concern is that people will start getting on wilder's back if we're 18th at Christmas, despite that being about right for our squad. We have no money to spend, and the squad is one of the weaker ones in the league. There's been so much negative reaction to losing 1-0 away at a team worth well over £50million, dear me, other teams are allowed to be better than us. Just like midweek, Cardiff are a better side than us, and the most likely outcome is a Cardiff win. We need to be able to adjust as a fanbase and realise we will lose more than we win this season!

As an aside, I've seen sharp getting it in the neck again for not being involved. So, I guess our fans never learn then? Sharp was never reall 'involved' in any game last season, byt he scored 30 goals. How have you not figured out this is the player he is by now?

More hysteria from the world of Sheffield Utd fans. I feel like we're so used to being in league -
1, that many of our fans have forgotten that teams are allowed to just simply be better than we are.

As much as some fans want it not t be the case, Middlesbrough and ourselves will be slogging it out in different parts of the table this season. We didn't look great yesterday, but that's because we were against the highest quality opposition we have played in 7 years.

A dose of reality is desperately needed amongst our fanbase. My big concern is that people will start getting on wilder's back if we're 18th at Christmas, despite that being about right for our squad. We have no money to spend, and the squad is one of the weaker ones in the league. There's been so much negative reaction to losing 1-0 away at a team worth well over £50million, dear me, other teams are allowed to be better than us. Just like midweek, Cardiff are a better side than us, and the most likely outcome is a Cardiff win. We need to be able to adjust as a fanbase and realise we will lose more than we win this season!

As an aside, I've seen sharp getting it in the neck again for not being involved. So, I guess our fans never learn then? Sharp was never reall 'involved' in any game last season, byt he scored 30 goals. How have you not figured out this is the player he is by now?
I get your point but whilst Boro clearly had more quality, the fact that we're discussing a legitimate goal being dissallowed to equalise and perhaps get out of jail suggests that the dose of reality is that we're not too far off Boro.

Over a season, you'd hope that those decisions will even out, but we doubt they will. And will that come when it's the difference between 1point and zero?

The point is that we can clearly see that we worked our bollocks off and to get nothing back for a legitimate equaliser is a little harsh

I thought that first half we were way off it. Clarke not striking the ball clean first time, balls into the box were poor, bad defending, losing shape, midfield overrun. I could go on. Boro were at a canter and passing the ball neatly, getting to tackles early, drawing the tackle (and foul)

However, second half, a few changes and we pushed a little. We didn't penetrate or cause many problems up top but they were sitting back and letting us play. They weren't too interested in counter attacking despite the quality. 1-0 was enough for them. They knew that it was enough in a tough game.

It tells us enough that we can compete with a side that will be up there but again, 2 games into a 46 game season we can't judge whether the crowd will be on the back of the manager at Christmas.

As for Sharp. He was fully involved and was a huge part of the spine last season, last night he was anonymous as the way we played meant that he was isolated. They had men over at the back which tells us that we were so deep that the likes of Freeman, Stevens, carruthers/duffy and Clarke weren't able to get close to him. The long ball outlet just didn't work for Sharp or Clarke.

None of this was Billy's fault. But we need to work on this to ensure that we get Billy more involved

It's been an entire game without a goal now – I'm surprised we haven't seen any "have the goals dried up?" or "is Sharp finished?" posts.

I thought yesterday we started reasonably brightly, really should have gone ahead with the Clarke chance, but the goal gave them the confidence to suddenly turn on their quality and we were hanging on it that first half (Gestede nearly scored what would have been a deserved 2nd). 2nd half we looked less overawed, the subs allowed us to inject a bit more energy, and we were back to our usual selves. The move for the Clarke chance (which we really should have taken advantage of) was superb. The offside decision was a terrible one – where the Sky coverage shafted us on that, Channel 5 were pretty clear that it was onside. We were up against tougher opposition though than we'll face most of the season.

Positives:
The 2nd half performance, and in particular from Coutts who was excellent. Fleck showed glimpses of what he can do. Freeman, generally in the wars, did well all game – best performance of his for a while in fact. That was also my first viewing of Stearman, who I thought did well in marshalling the defence all game.

Negatives:
I love our formation, but thought we should have switched it earlier than we did as Boro nullified it well enough and our front two were isolated. Carruthers had a typical last season Carruthers start – bright to begin with, but rapidly dropped off. It's such an important position for us, and while Duffy wasn't excellent he was a significant improvement in linking the play and moving players out of position. We desperately need some pace up front before the window closes.

Back
Top Bottom