Middlesbrough v. Sheffield United - 12/08/2017

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Match thread for discussion on the first away fixture of the season at Middlesbrough.

TICKET DETAILS:

Saturday 12th August 2017, Kick-off 5:30pm

Middlesborough v Sheffield United
Sky Bet Championship

This game has been selected to be televised.

This match is ALL TICKET for Blades Supporters.

We have been allocated 2,657 tickets, priced £30 Adults, £20 Seniors 65+, and £17 Juniors U18.

12 wheelchair bays on a raised level are available at the age appropriate price with the personal assistant going free of charge, a further allocation of pitch level wheelchair bays maybe available if necessary.

Ambulant disabled tickets are available at the age appropriate price, a personal assistant ticket can be provided if necessary.

100 loyalty points will be awarded to supporters purchasing tickets.

Tickets are on sale on the following dates to Members only (including season ticket holders):

Monday 31st July 9am
45,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 45,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Monday 31st July 1pm
40,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 40,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Tuesday 1st August 9am
35,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 35,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Tuesday 1st August 1pm
30,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 30,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Wednesday 2nd August 9am
25,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 25,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Wednesday 2nd August 1pm
20,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 20,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Thursday 3rd August 9am
15,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 15,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Thursday 3rd August 1pm
10,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 10,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Friday 4th August 9am
5,000+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to members with 5,000 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Friday 4th August 1pm
2017 Super Draw Lotto Participants and members with 2,500+ Loyalty Points
Tickets will be on sale to 2017 Super Draw Lotto Participants and members with 2,500 loyalty points or above.
1 ticket per supporter.

Monday 7th August
General Sale
Should any tickets remain they will go on general sale on Monday 7th August.

Last edited:

Can we catch them cold before they settle into the team we expect to walk the league? (Personally I fear a massive reality check)

Where are Blades fans going to be drinking beer and eating Parmo's before the game?

I'd suggest a nice afternoon in Northallerton and last train possible through to Boro. There's nowt there.

• Admin
For those looking for somewhere to go, the designated away pub is Dr Browns (Doc Browns).

It's at 135 Corporation Rd, Middlesbrough, TS1 2RR - Across the road from the cinema/Nandos etc

If you are into that kind of thing, there's music/karaoke etc and I believe "Boro Fan TV" will be in attendance.

We've been a few times (minus the Fan TV), it's one of the more convenient.

Failing that, if they are still open, walk further into town and there's a Walkabout etc.

David Prutton Predicts:

It was a wonderful opening day for Sheffield United, but not so good for Middlesbrough. Garry Monk's side have been hotly-tipped for promotion because of the money that's been spent, and they might need a win here already. The omens aren't all bad, though, as Newcastle lost their first two last season and still went on to win the title.

This could be a tough one for the Blades, but they've still got plenty of momentum and that should stand them in good stead.

Prutton predicts: 1-1 with Billy Sharp to score first

If it's nil nil at half time I think we will win. Their fans will get nervous the longer it goes.

If they get off to a fast start it might be a tricky night.

If it's nil nil at half time I think we will win. Their fans will get nervous the longer it goes.

If they get off to a fast start it might be a tricky night.

I think the opposite. I think we'll catch them unawares and score first. Small chance we score twice before they wake up. Probably 1-1 but possibly 2-1 to us.

We went there 20 years ago as underdogs for a game also on Sky – they were favourites, not just for the game but for promotion, which they got. Mikkel Beck scored within minutes, Deano equalised almost immediately, and then Whitehouse got the winner early in the second half – must have been one of his last goals for us. I'd be delighted with the same result Saturday.

So after the completely different starting 11 employed in the midweek cup win against Walsall it would seem we are more than likely to return to the opening day 11 IMO. Arguably one of the toughest away league games we'll face this season, the trip to Middlesborough will be a good gauge of what and if we lack in certain areas. Having said that, it is nice to get this one out of the way early on, while they might still be suffering a relegation hangover and still may have not yet gelled as a team. Well we can hope so at least.....

Anyway....

Any team news? :)

Ched presumably making the bench?

Otherwise unchanged from last Saturday?

Sky Sports are televising the match of course, which puts added pressure on the home side. Couple that with the defeat last week and unless they get an early goal the home support could start to become their own worst enemy. What we know from our side is that they will be 100% committed and are unlikely to roll over for any opponent. That said, really really tough game and though I'd like to be extra optimistic, a draw would be a great result. I'll go for 1-1 more in hope than expectation though....

Safe journey folks.

UTCB

We went there 20 years ago as underdogs for a game also on Sky – they were favourites, not just for the game but for promotion, which they got. Mikkel Beck scored within minutes, Deano equalised almost immediately, and then Whitehouse got the winner early in the second half – must have been one of his last goals for us. I'd be delighted with the same result Saturday.

Was this the best result we got in the dreaded white away kit from Wembley?

Last televised game up there was i believe in Aug 2009 (1st game) it was a boring 0-0,seen who was on the bench.

Dejavu on the bench.
surprise.gif
reyt player.

Team
(G) M Bunn
(D) K Walker
(D) C Morgan
(D) A Taylor
(D) M Kilgallon
(M) S Quinn
(M) N Montgomery
(M) B Howard
(M) R France
(M) K Treacy
(F) D Henderson

Subs
(G) I Bennett
(D) L Bromby
(M) D Cotterill
(M) K Reid
(M) G Little
(F) B Sharp
(F) C Evans

Last televised game up there was i believe in Aug 2009 (1st game) it was a boring 0-0,seen who was on the bench.

Dejavu on the bench.
surprise.gif
reyt player.

Team
(G) M Bunn
(D) K Walker
(D) C Morgan
(D) A Taylor
(D) M Kilgallon
(M) S Quinn
(M) N Montgomery
(M) B Howard
(M) R France
(M) K Treacy
(F) D Henderson

Subs
(G) I Bennett
(D) L Bromby
(M) D Cotterill
(M) K Reid
(M) G Little
(F) B Sharp
(F) C Evans

Blimey. I tell you what, I wouldn't swap our current XI for that XI, even with Walker in it. Morgs and Walker the only 2 players that would get into the team.

Compare and contrast against the victorious 1997 side...

Tracey
Holdsworth McGrath Tiler
Borbokis Patterson Marker Whitehouse Quinn
Deane Katchouro

Subs: Hutchison, Ward, Scott

Slightly tougher call. Thought Tracey should have done better with Beck's shot for the goal, but would still take him as he was back then over our current keepers (and over Bunn, obviously). I think I'd take the 1997 defence in its entirety over the equivalent players in 2009 or today, including the wingbacks. Deane over anyone else.

It amazes me to this day that we managed to produce some excellent football with a midfield that had Marker and Patterson in it for a large chunk of the season from day 1.

Compare and contrast against the victorious 1997 side...

Tracey
Holdsworth McGrath Tiler
Borbokis Patterson Marker Whitehouse Quinn
Deane Katchouro

Subs: Hutchison, Ward, Scott

Slightly tougher call. Thought Tracey should have done better with Beck's shot for the goal, but would still take him as he was back then over our current keepers (and over Bunn, obviously). I think I'd take the 1997 defence in its entirety over the equivalent players in 2009 or today, including the wingbacks. Deane over anyone else.

It amazes me to this day that we managed to produce some excellent football with a midfield that had Marker and Patterson in it for a large chunk of the season from day 1.

Looking back, what a team that was.

Confident of a result today. Everyone is expecting us to lose but we know what our team is about, we will turn up and we will have a few chances throughout the game which we must take. 3-2 Blades - Billy, Leon & Evans off the bench for the winner.

Today they will be wearing a very similar kit too, with the horizontal white stripe across the chest...good omen maybe?

Thanks to the three points last week this is a game we can play with absolute freedom, the neutrals aren't expecting us to get anything, there is no pressure as we already have three points on the board.

Win lose or draw I expect us to play our football and have a go at the Pre season favourites to win the league.

Looking forward to it.

Think this will be our 'down to earth' moment with a bit of a mincing :confused:

They have spent £44m this window, will be interested to see what that buys you.

We have also brought in around £40 million in sales.

Back
Top Bottom