Michael Appleton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If appleton gets the job he would be gone within 6 months.

Michael Appleton?, why not. Is he any worse than page, he at least knows how to run a club on a shoe string. ( portsmouth). Also had a shot ( albeit a short one ) at Blackburn and Blackpool. No great shakes I know, but as allready stated on other threads no one of note is interested in taking on a sinking ship. Was also linked to the u21 if pearce left, and is quite well in with roy hodgson. (good contacts) maybe?. Would be interesting to know if Pompey can shed any light on him. UTB.

Not really a surprise though is it?

Look at the profile of the new role. Club in a bit of a crisis, needing to cut the payroll still further as far as the playing staff is concerned yet still expecting promotion. People say we'll get a fresh manager with no experience (Page for instance) but that is a lot to contend with in a first job. So, looking at who is around and available who is the one with the experience most likely to fit that above criteria?

Always seemed logical to me that Appleton would be a strong contender. A board with that remit for the job would be bonkers not to seriously consider him. But this is the Blades board............

Just sign him up if he's daft enough and let's get in with it.

This.

He's actually a good coach by most accounts and knows what working on a shoestring is all about.

Rather him than Page.

This.

He's actually a good coach by most accounts and knows what working on a shoestring is all about.

Rather him than Page.

In fact he's highly regarded within the FA and particularly by Hodgson. Knowing our luck we'll appoint him and they'll then go and offer him the vacant under 21 job!

This.

Rather him than Page.

His win percentage is also averaging about 21%.

I thought after he'd been binned by blackburn he'd have to rebuild his career lower down the leagues. I didn't think it'd be us though.....

His win percentage is also averaging about 21%.

I thought after he'd been binned by blackburn he'd have to rebuild his career lower down the leagues. I didn't think it'd be us though.....

That's fair enough, but you do have to look at the context of where he's been. Particularly Portsmouth.

That's fair enough, but you do have to look at the context of where he's been. Particularly Portsmouth.

But then you look at it in the context of the other clubs he's been at, where he's had the luxury of clubs receiving chunky parachute payments.

But then you look at it in the context of the other clubs he's been at, where he's had the luxury of clubs receiving chunky parachute payments.

Agree with you, when a manager's record is so poor it's more tempting to go for someone completely unknown.

Will say this - Appleton is a good manager. Had he stayed at Pompey (and they not been financially buttfucked) they'd have made a decent stab at getting out of Div 3. He isn't Premier League standard, but I think if what we are looking at is McCabe shutting the bank on us and Sheffield United last season looking like Sheffield United this season, then I feel he will get as much out of the team as physically possible, which possibly means getting us playing better with more bite and structure. I'm unsure about Page - where has he been that will prove to us he has any experience? Plus, there's the 'Blades Connection' which I thought everyone was so set against. Appleton will have hopefully new ideas and if anyone can stop us reverting to losing the midfield battle and booting it longwards for opposition back fours to soak up and counter, then bring it on.

If we get through twenty minutes of the opening game without Maguire or Collins lumping it forward, then you'll know this might be our season. If, owever that happens, then standby for more of the same.

pommpey

Just sign him up if he's daft enough and let's get in with it.

I'd go with Appleton simply because, if you believe everything you hear, Donny almost appointed him and they have a decent track record of picking managers. Our lot could be looking until a year next Christmas and would still get it wrong.

Faz

The Blackpool fans I know hated every minute of the football they played under Appleton. Sounded very Blackwellesque, very negative, try not to concede a goal 1st even at home. Whilst you can say that he wasn't there and at Blackburn long enough for the stats to stand up, 2 wins in 12 at Blackpool, 5 in 15 for Blackburn tells enough of a tale.

Will say this - Appleton is a good manager. Had he stayed at Pompey (and they not been financially buttfucked) they'd have made a decent stab at getting out of Div 3. He isn't Premier League standard, but I think if what we are looking at is McCabe shutting the bank on us and Sheffield United last season looking like Sheffield United this season, then I feel he will get as much out of the team as physically possible, which possibly means getting us playing better with more bite and structure. I'm unsure about Page - where has he been that will prove to us he has any experience? Plus, there's the 'Blades Connection' which I thought everyone was so set against. Appleton will have hopefully new ideas and if anyone can stop us reverting to losing the midfield battle and booting it longwards for opposition back fours to soak up and counter, then bring it on.

If we get through twenty minutes of the opening game without Maguire or Collins lumping it forward, then you'll know this might be our season. If, owever that happens, then standby for more of the same.

pommpey

suspect we'll be getting through the season without him

The Blackpool fans I know hated every minute of the football they played under Appleton. Sounded very Blackwellesque, very negative, try not to concede a goal 1st even at home. Whilst you can say that he wasn't there and at Blackburn long enough for the stats to stand up, 2 wins in 12 at Blackpool, 5 in 15 for Blackburn tells enough of a tale.

a 24% win percentage tells you all you need to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Appleton

a 24% win percentage tells you all you need to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Appleton

At clubs that should have been doing better as well. Blackburn and Blackpool should both have done well in the Championship, with both having been in the Premier League recently and Portsmouth, with the players they had, should have been doing a hell of a lot better than they were.

According to Paul Walker on twitter, Michael Appleton is being interviewed tomorrow. The other option is a Page/Downes combo, which, apparently, is still the preferred choice.

According to Paul Walker on twitter, Michael Appleton is being interviewed tomorrow. The other option is a Page/Downes combo, which, apparently, is still the preferred choice.

My preferred option too. Jesus wept, Appleton would jump ship after 2 months then we have to go through this all again! FUCK THAT

If we did well under Appleton and someone comes in for him then he will walk away. Done it twice already in a very short time. No thanks

Agree with you, when a manager's record is so poor it's more tempting to go for someone completely unknown.

I'd even say preferable Bergen. I'm actually warming to having Page and Downes as our Coaching team. Elsewhere, both men have good reviews if you take out the headline comments about ex-Blades, crap footballer etc. I think both men are well respected by their peers actually

If we did well under Appleton and someone comes in for him then he will walk away. Done it twice already in a very short time. No thanks

But would he? He's tried that and got burned, he'll be looking for some solidity on his CV I'd say.

Appelton is in my opinion the best manager we could get in our situation. With Portsmouth he built a team from scratch and within 3 months got them to the equivalent of 5th if you ignore the points deduction

But would he? He's tried that and got burned, he'll be looking for some solidity on his CV I'd say.

The only thing I would say in his potential defence is as you say, if he did take the job here, it would obviously be for football reasons.

Back
Top Bottom