Memries of Preston

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2017-12-11_17-51-14.png

Meetings between The Blades and Preston date all the way back to 20th November, 1893. Recent-ish results:

upload_2017-12-11_17-51-41.png

Full list

To date, our League results against Preston read:

Home: P: 51 W: 34 D: 10 L: 7 F: 94 A: 46

Away: P: 51 W: 11 D: 16 L: 24 F: 56 A: 89

Apart from our home defeat to Preston in the 4th round FA Cup replay in 2015 our matching fortunes have seen us meet almost every year.

Perhaps the most significant meeting in recent years was the two-leg play-off semi-final in 2009. This game would decide who would go on to meet Burnley at the new Wembley on May 25th in the final, the winners going up into the Premier League. The Blades drew the first leg at Deepdale on May 8th 1-1, our goal coming from Brian Howard.

Three days later, we won the return leg at Bramall Lane 1-0, our goal coming from Greg Halford.

The final was watched by 80,518 and our usual no-show in vital games meant a near-inevitable 0-1 defeat.

Going back to 2001, here’s a selection of goals from Preston against The Blades:

On 30th August 2014, Nigel Clough’s Blades drew 1-1 at Deepdale in Division One, our goal coming from Jose Baxter:

On 17th March, 2014 we played out a (fairly) exciting 0-0 draw at Preston in the League:

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_17-50-47.png
    upload_2017-12-11_17-50-47.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-12-11_17-50-51.png
    upload_2017-12-11_17-50-51.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 1

The last time our two clubs met was in the aforementioned 4th Round FA Cup Replay, a 1-3 home defeat that ended our Cup aspirations for another year. The first leg at Preston ended in a 1-1 draw:

…and the replay:

On 20th August 2004, an Andy Gray goal saw United’s first win at Deepdale in almost 50 years:

The second game of the 2000-01 season saw Neil Warnock’s Blades soundly beaten 0-3 at Preston who were managed by David Moyes:

Current form: Preston are tenth in the table, have not lost in their last five games and lie tenth in the full season form table:

upload_2017-12-11_17-57-11.png

However, Preston’s form over the last eight games is only marginally better than ours.

upload_2017-12-11_17-57-31.png

Compared to Billy Sharp and Leon Clarke, Preston’s top scorers are less than impressive:

upload_2017-12-11_17-57-56.png

My last visit there was in 2000.

Deepdale at that time was probably the strangest ground I've seen. One end of the pitch was a crumbling terrace, the side stand where the away fans were was a decaying wooden shitheap, and yet the other two stands were the brand new shiny ones they have now. Strange contrast to say the least.

Anyway we were utter shite that day and got dicked 3-0. Paul Devlin got sent off for scrapping...for a change.

January 17th 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Preston 0. My first match as a committed Blade (after having been to a few matches but I couldnt really "focus" on the game, not knowing the players' names etc) and that when I started reading Scorcher, Shoot! etc to learn the names of the star players, instead of American comics.

Sitting in the BLUT I was amazed that many of our fans (especially the elder ones) were giving stick to our players as we failed to score until very late in the game. Dont remember how Reece scored his goal .My dad thought that was it so we made for the exits and then as soon as we left the ground there was a loud roar. A nearby steward confirmed to my dad that we had scored again

My first visit to Deepdale was in August 1978 and what a great game it was. Sabella giving a 10 out of 10 performance , a Daily Express reporter said of him in the match report "Sabella sells more dummies than Mothercare". A young Preston striker, Micky Robinson, who I had never heard of had a good game with two good goals.

Simon Stainrod came on as the sub replacing an injured player midway in the 1st half. Soon after he hit a long speculative shot that Roy Tunks let it slip through his hands to give us the lead. Micky Robinson hit the equaliser with a good shot from outside the box. Early in the 2nd half Sabella skilfully beat three or four Preston players before flicking the ball through Tunks' legs to give us the lead again and then running to acknowledge the jubilant Blades fans behind the goal. I was sat in the main stand on the side and there were rubble being thrown at us Blades fans by the Preston fans in the terracing below. An elderly Blade was hit on the face and needed some treatment by St Johns. Late in the game Robinson equalised again with a diving header

Barely remember going there in early to mid 2000s,went from ball in on myrtle Rd on blades boogie bus,stayed in Blackpool for wkend,blindo when we got to Blackpool,drunk as a skunk when we got to pub near Deepdale and lads put the blades cd on off sharply,keckled during game and watched it under concourse slurping even more beer,can' t remember score even to this day,back to Blackpool,ended up in a nightclub and one of lads won miss wet t-shirt competition,(piggy)..buttsy fell through bar in nightclub like del boy did in only fools and horses,come out of nightclub I lost all lads who I was with,no idea what hotel was called we were staying in,cost me £30 to drive round blackpool to find it which we didn't,got out of cab sat on kerb for half hour,remembered where we were staying pulled another cab £3 jus round corner from where I was sat!!! Got back to hotel at 5am lads still in bar boozing,so had a few more,back on bus at 9-30am back to ball then round town just to Finnish wkend off!!!!! You'll be all glad to know this Saturday,on train at 10am with my twin boys no ale and back at 5-05 with still no ale. Really looking forward to this wkend..UTB

Going to this, big coat required it's always cold over there. God knows what it's going to be like in this weather

My last visit there was in 2000.

Deepdale at that time was probably the strangest ground I've seen. One end of the pitch was a crumbling terrace, the side stand where the away fans were was a decaying wooden shitheap, and yet the other two stands were the brand new shiny ones they have now. Strange contrast to say the least.

Anyway we were utter shite that day and got dicked 3-0. Paul Devlin got sent off for scrapping...for a change.
That was my last visit too. An awful two footed lunge from Devlin if memory serves. SUFC Handsworth would have loved it!:)

Also memorable for the horrific hangover I travelled with and being two down after about ten minutes.

Remember 2008 away. Still hopes of reaching the play-offs under the Blackwell revival. Sadly, dashed in a 3-1 defeat with Morgs sent off. Most memorable for me was my son (then 14) and attending his first away game, assured me it was his best day ever. Which only goes to prove that some people are very easily pleased.

One of my earliest footy memories is watching Deane and Agana play there in a losing effort on the plastic, and hearing some local kid shout “black magic” every time they got the ball.

That pitch really demanded football on the deck and we were pretty crap at that.

January 17th 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Preston 0. My first match as a committed Blade (after having been to a few matches but I couldnt really "focus" on the game, not knowing the players' names etc) and that when I started reading Scorcher, Shoot! etc to learn the names of the star players, instead of American comics.

Sitting in the BLUT I was amazed that many of our fans (especially the elder ones) were giving stick to our players as we failed to score until very late in the game. Dont remember how Reece scored his goal .My dad thought that was it so we made for the exits and then as soon as we left the ground there was a loud roar. A nearby steward confirmed to my dad that we had scored again
Ah , Silent , we have similar heritage then , I started at the Lane aged 11 with a season ticket in the BLUT next to my Dad in 1969. But I certainly can't match your encyclopedic knowledge !

Back
Top Bottom