Memries of Preston Part 3

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2018-4-25_6-46-40.png
Saturday 28th April will be our third meeting with the Lilywhites this season. We last met on a freezing cold January (27th) day in the fourth round of the FA Cup where a single Billy Sharp penalty goal settled the tie.

I’ve previously visited our history with Preston in ‘Memries of Preston’ and ‘Memries of Preston – Part 2

Recent-ish meetings:

upload_2018-4-25_6-47-58.png
Full Sheffield United v Preston history

To date, our League results against Preston read:

Home: P: 51 W: 34 D: 10 L: 7 F: 94 A: 46

Away: P: 52 W: 11 D: 16 L: 25 F: 56 A: 90

Current Form:

Preston are currently in slightly better form than us based on the last six league games.

upload_2018-4-25_6-48-23.png

Full Championship Form Guide

Championship Table

Again, not much to choose between the teams in the Championship table:

upload_2018-4-25_6-48-52.png

Full Championship Table

Men to watch

upload_2018-4-25_6-49-45.png

upload_2018-4-25_6-50-9.pngupload_2018-4-25_6-50-27.pngupload_2018-4-25_6-50-41.png
Sean Maguire and Tom Barkhuizen

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-25_6-49-15.png
    upload_2018-4-25_6-49-15.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 2

The home game in April 1989 was memorable for the way it finished. Preston came for a draw and were very defensive, and managed to hold us off for 80 minutes. Then Preston made 2 terrible errors to give us the game. First, they messed up a backpass and an alert Deano nipped in between defenders and keeper to score, and then the keeper messed up a goal kick, playing the ball straight to Agana who ran on and coolly slotted past him as he came out. Peter Duffield made it 3 19 seconds after Preston kicked off again after the keeper could only parry Deano's cross to him.

You can see all of this action on the "Blades History" channel on Youtube. Sadly the film of the game does not include its most spectacular goal, Preston's last minute consolation which was a fantastic bullet diving header by Paul Stancliffe into his own net!

Pretty much despair for the most part, one of the worst was (I think) a 3-0 defeat when we wore our infamous purple and gold Midas kit.

Two more from the archives, both in the same year, a bizarre end of season 3-3 which was Rob Page's last game for us. Really hot day, great support and I remember 'Rock' turning back and looking at the fans as he left the pitch, looked really choked. A few months later, maybe 2nd or 3rd game of the season, Jags sent off really early on for a dubious challenge, Paddy saved the resultant pen and we went on to gain our 1st victory there for nigh on 50 years.

Then Preston made 2 terrible errors to give us the game. First, they messed up a backpass and an alert Deano nipped in between defenders and keeper to score!

The Preston defender making the poor backpass was ex Blade Bob Atkins!

That evening, the club hosted an ex-players reunion and there were some of the ex-players watching the match some rows in front of me in the South Stand. Jock Dodds sported a pony tail and wore a big hat!

The home game in April 1989 was memorable for the way it finished. Preston came for a draw and were very defensive, and managed to hold us off for 80 minutes. Then Preston made 2 terrible errors to give us the game. First, they messed up a backpass and an alert Deano nipped in between defenders and keeper to score, and then the keeper messed up a goal kick, playing the ball straight to Agana who ran on and coolly slotted past him as he came out. Peter Duffield made it 3 19 seconds after Preston kicked off again after the keeper could only parry Deano's cross to him.

You can see all of this action on the "Blades History" channel on Youtube. Sadly the film of the game does not include its most spectacular goal, Preston's last minute consolation which was a fantastic bullet diving header by Paul Stancliffe into his own net!

Loved this game , as a 8 year old I loved the way Agana slotted in that goal. I remember thinking back then how cooly he had done that and from then on i would always do my best to replicate his finish in the school yard, with not much success !

still think he was one of the best finishes ever for us, especially in one on ones

January 17th 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Preston 0. My first match as a committed Blade (after having been to a few matches but I couldnt really "focus" on the game, not knowing the players' names etc) and that when I started reading Scorcher, Shoot! etc to learn the names of the star players, instead of American comics.

Sitting in the BLUT I was amazed that many of our fans (especially the elder ones) were giving stick to our players as we failed to score until very late in the game. Dont remember how Reece scored his goal .My dad thought that was it so we made for the exits and then as soon as we left the ground there was a loud roar. A nearby steward confirmed to my dad that we had scored again

Addison Preston.jpg

My first visit to Deepdale was in August 1978 and what a great game it was. Sabella giving a 10 out of 10 performance , a Daily Express reporter said of him in the match report "Sabella sells more dummies than Mothercare". A young Preston striker, Micky Robinson, who I had never heard of had a good game with two good goals.

Simon Stainrod came on as the sub replacing an injured player midway in the 1st half. Soon after he hit a long speculative shot that Roy Tunks let it slip through his hands to give us the lead. Micky Robinson hit the equaliser with a good shot from outside the box. Early in the 2nd half Sabella skilfully beat three or four Preston players before flicking the ball through Tunks' legs to give us the lead again and then running to acknowledge the jubilant Blades fans behind the goal. I was sat in the main stand on the side and there were rubble being thrown at us Blades fans by the Preston fans in the terracing below. An elderly Blade was hit on the face and needed some treatment by St Johns. Late in the game Robinson equalised again with a diving header

January 17th 1970. Blades 2 (Reece, Addison) Preston 0. My first match as a committed Blade (after having been to a few matches but I couldnt really "focus" on the game, not knowing the players' names etc) and that when I started reading Scorcher, Shoot! etc to learn the names of the star players, instead of American comics.

Sitting in the BLUT I was amazed that many of our fans (especially the elder ones) were giving stick to our players as we failed to score until very late in the game. Dont remember how Reece scored his goal .My dad thought that was it so we made for the exits and then as soon as we left the ground there was a loud roar. A nearby steward confirmed to my dad that we had scored again

View attachment 38893
Addy Addy Addy Addy Addison ! (?)

View attachment 38893

How lucky were you & I to commit to the Blades just before the best Blades team played the best season

View attachment 38893

I don't quite know how to say this Silent but I think you've made a mistake.

Gil Reece scored the opener, a free kick from TC brought panic in the Preston goalmouth. Salmons flicked a header down and Reece fired a shot past Kelly from six yards. That was on 80 minutes. The goal you missed was the one you've shown on the photo. Addison on 90 minutes.

We were top that evening after 29 games.

I don't quite know how to say this Silent but I think you've made a mistake.

Gil Reece scored the opener, a free kick from TC brought panic in the Preston goalmouth. Salmons flicked a header down and Reece fired a shot past Kelly from six yards. That was on 80 minutes. The goal you missed was the one you've shown on the photo. Addison on 90 minutes.

We were top that evening after 29 games.
I did say it was Reece who scored the first goal. Thanks for describing the goal as I do not remember how it was scored. I do remember leaving soon after so I assumed it was near the end of the game. Yes, the photo was Addison who scored the goal that I had missed but I didnt say it was Reece's goal.

Didnt realise we were top of the division that season as I had always thought Huddersfield were top for most of the season

My last memory of Preston was the last time we played them, at their place, and lost 1-0, cold day, SUFC just didn't turn up, both sides were crap and with a lapse in concentration we were 1-0 down. Regan Slater and Lafferty came on and livened things up, but it was too late.

Not only that, I had booked a hotel for the night, so me and Mrs G did a pub crawl of the old school pubs we know, that usually have decent beers on (and wine for her) and they were all pretty crap to be honest. We finally gave in and went to Wetherspoons where the beer was good and only £2.25 a pint.

Highlights of the day:

1. The coppers at the ground were (or maybe still are) the best I have ever encountered. Big, scary lads who could handle themselves and yet went out of their way to be pleasant, polite and helpful.

2. That's about it

Back
Top Bottom