Memries of Palace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There’s a vital floor in this anecdote...
Anyway, I was at Wembley, side stand, roughly central, near the front and as it broke and fell to Hopkins I was thinking ‘get out, close him, he’s going to try one. Oh fuck off’.

Anyway, I was at Wembley, side stand, roughly central, near the front and as it broke and fell to Hopkins I was thinking ‘get out, close him, he’s going to try one. Oh fuck off’.
I was behind a pillar and missed it. Always told myself it was for the best anyway.

Great old stadium my arse.

I was behind a pillar and missed it. Always told myself it was for the best anyway.

Great old stadium my arse.
It was about five minutes after that goal that I realised how much Wembley stank of piss.

I went to the last game in 2011. Going into the game they were fourth bottom, we were third bottom IIRC and it was about as close to a "relegation six pointer" as it's possible to get. Palace went on to finish 20th with us going down in 23rd and, ironically, had we won 1-0 we would have stayed up at their expense as we ended up 6 points behind them with an equal goal difference of -25.

We lined up with Nyron Nosworthy at left back in another of Micky Adams' bewildering tactical decisions but fortunately Palace were as poor as us, apart from one moment of quality from Darren Ambrose who scored a screamer from about 25 yards in the second half. I'm not sure we even had a shot worthy of the name that day and it was after that I lost any hope of us escaping relegation.

It's another horrible matchday squad: looking at the forward line it's pretty clear why we never looked like scoring.

Simonsen
Lowton Lowry Collins Nosworthy
Riise Doyle* Williamson Quinn**
Bogdanovic*** Cresswell
Subs Long, Ertl, Calve, Parrino, Yeates^^^, Evans^^, Bent^

My first ever Blades game was vs Palace (I think) in 1993.

We lost 1-0 in an uneventful game. I don't remember much, but do remember the ball hit the top of John Street and knocked some roof slates off into the crowd. Anyone confirm the date based on that?

My first ever Blades game was vs Palace (I think) in 1993.

We lost 1-0 in an uneventful game. I don't remember much, but do remember the ball hit the top of John Street and knocked some roof slates off into the crowd. Anyone confirm the date based on that?

Silent Blade will be able to tell you what type of slate it was.

The match was March 1993. Palace played most of the match with ten men, but still nicked it (Chris Coleman scored). They got relegated at the end of the season.

Silent Blade will be able to tell you what type of slate it was.

The match was March 1993. Palace played most of the match with ten men, but still nicked it (Chris Coleman scored). They got relegated at the end of the season.
Palace's Chris Armstrong was sent off in the 1st half. It was like after the Lord Mayor's show as we beat Blackburn on penalties a few days earlier

The play off final in 97 is etched forever in my psyche it was last minute I turned to me bro and said ET coming up, then Hopskin's shot from miles out and that was it "sick as a bloke on a promise from a liar". Can't say I either like or dislike Palace they're just one of them sort of teams, should be a good game on Sunday if not ruined by VAR. Oh and the 97 final was a truly horrible, horrible boring game worse than watching paint dry.

It’s over eight years since we last met Crystal Palace. Since then, we’ve spent six years in League One and have returned to the Premier League. Palace are starting their seventh successive season in the PL.

Recent games against Palace:

View attachment 59733

Full history Sheffield United v Crystal Palace. (P: 53 W: 20 D: 12 L: 21).

No recollection of Blades v Palace games would be complete without mention of the play-off final on 26th May 1997 at the ‘old’ Wembley. Fighting for a place in the top-flight, the game was 0-0 until a very late goal by Palace’s David Hopkin broke our hearts…

More recently, we beat Palace at 1-0 Bramall Lane on 30th April, 2006 – our last game of the season before promotion to the Premier League.

In our ‘Triple Assault’ season (2002-03), we beat Palace 2-1 in the Quarter-Final of the Worthington (League) Cup. Think Pesch was offside..?

A special mention to Palace who – on 2nd May 2010 drew 2-2 at Hillsborough and sent Wednesday down to League One 😂 . This sparked a crowd invasion where Palace players and fans were attacked, just another shameful incident in the long, disgraceful history of Wednesday.

Transfer activity:

Palace reject £65m bid from Everton for Wilfried Zaha but right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka has left for Manchester United for £49.5m.

Centre-forward Jordan Ayew has been brought in from Swansea for a fee of £2.5m.

On 6th August, Gary Cahill joined Palace on a free transfer from Chelsea. The 2-year deal sees Cahill on £75k per week.

Victor Camarasa (Real Betis, loan); James McCarthy (Everton £2.97m) complete Palace’s pre-transfer window activity.

Top Scorers:

View attachment 59734

Men to Watch:

View attachment 59735

Wilfried Zaha caused rumoured upset on the training ground last week when his hoped-for move to Everton was denied and is likely to be named in the starting 11 for Palace's game at Bramall Lane this Sunday.

Hodgson will be desperately hoping that the winger can repeat his form of last season, where Zaha's ten goals and five assists helped Palace to a safe 12th place finish in the Premier League.

View attachment 59736

Serbian Luka Milivojević was Palace’s leading scorer last season and has just signed a new 4-year deal. He was one of only three players who played every minute of the 2018-19 Premier League season (Ben Mee of Burnley and Wolves’ Conor Coady being the others).

The Manager:

View attachment 59737

Woy Hodgson
became Palace manager two years ago. It is Hodgson’s 22nd managerial appointment in a mostly undistinguished career.

First match with Dad 1977 at the lane

Boxing day 1968 absolutely freezing. Stood on BL end with my Dad. Palace had brought a few fans, none of 'em had a coat daft sods. Supping as much Tea as they could to keep warm. Think it was 1-1 score. Silent will know. Walked it up to my aunty's at Woodseats after.
0-3 at the Lane 2004.
Been to Selhurst a couple of times, never again. Nightmare to get to and get away from.
We''ll do ok on Sunday.

It was the Boxing Day 1968 game in the (old) second division I remember as the first time I saw Palace.

That season was turning into a bit of a nightmare. Most of us thought we'd be promoted first time of asking but that draw against Palace saw us in 13th place.

Palace in those days were seen as more Fourth Division rather than second.

Addison scored the equaliser at the kop end. Attendance 21682.

Following game we lost to Mansfield in the FA Cup.

The game at their place in 2009 stands out. Still had an outside sniff of automatic promotion, thousands of Blades descended. We had seats in the home end behind the goal, thought we were alone, but we weren't loads of Blades in that section. The pub on that High Street before the game was a bit mad, and Linz was wearing an inflatable rubber ring. No, me neither! The actual game was pretty shit.

Yeah, me and Mrs G were at that game, seemed to take forever to get home.

We came close a few times but Speroni was on good form in goal.

Was at the game at selhurst in 2011. Dont remember us having a shot on target. Do remember bloke in his 50s a few rows back shouting expletives at the lads every so often...his missus looked embarrassed!

Was at the game at selhurst in 2011. Dont remember us having a shot on target. Do remember bloke in his 50s a few rows back shouting expletives at the lads every so often...his missus looked embarrassed!

Not related to Palace, but as I have mentioned before, there is a bloke who sits about four or five rows behind me, and a few seats to the right, who used to shout "fuck off Coutts!, fuckin crap!, just fuck off!", every time Paul Coutts got the ball. This was at the time that Paul Coutts was the best player we had, and was pretty much head and shoulders above most players in the league.

Weird behaviour.

I remember the last home game of the 05/06 season, Deano's last game. They interviewed him on the pitch afterwards and I cried.

Last game of the season 08/09, away at theirs. The only match I ever got my wife to attend. Could have been legendary, was shit.

Back
Top Bottom