Memries of Brum

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2017-11-23_6-11-44.png

Memries of Birmingham

Birmingham – like most teams – have had some iconic players down the years. I’ll start with recently-deceased Roger Hynd. An absolute beast of a player (nephew of Bill Shankly), he played 170 games for Brum from 1970 to 1975. A real ‘ard nut, his thighs were like tree trunks.

upload_2017-11-23_6-12-31.png

A game I remember was on 3rd November, 1973. We drew 1-1 and Hynd scored the equalizer in front of the City fans at the Bramall Lane end. The Blues struck up a rendition of their club anthem ‘Keep right on to the end of the road’ which was a Harry Lauder music-hall song and taken up during City’s 1956 run to the FA Cup Final. Birmingham player and Glaswegian Alex Govan adopted the song for City. (Govan died in 2016, aged 86.)

Another who played five years for The Blues (1971-76) and scored 58 goals in his 175 games for Birmingham was Bob Hatton. Between 1980-82, Bob scored 34 goals in 95 games for The Blades including 15 goals in the side that won promotion from the old Fourth Division in the 1981-82 season.

upload_2017-11-23_6-13-17.png
In January 1971, The Blades bought Trevor Hockey from Birmingham City for £40,000.Manager John Harris’s instructions were "to battle, to win the ball, and give it to Currie". He instantly became a Bramall Lane cult figure on the pitch with his Beatle-style haircut, beard and tough tackling. He played a large part in ensuring that United were promoted that year, including scoring the first goal in a 2–0 win, against Millwall on 13 April, and sat down in a heap after colliding with the goalkeeper.

His United career virtually ended with a broken leg against Manchester City on 12 February 1972. Struggling to regain his place in the first team, he made his final appearance on 30 December 1972 before Norwich City secured his services in February 1973.

upload_2017-11-23_6-14-16.png

Worthy of mention is much-travelled Peter Withe. He played for 14 different clubs, made 539 appearances and scored 177 goals (plus eleven England caps). Between 1985 and 1989, Withe made 74 appearances for The Blades, scoring 18 goals. In 1987, Withe spent a brief period on loan at Birmingham and, during this spell of 8 games as a loanee, returned to Bramall Lane on 20th October 1987. In this match – won 2-0 by Birmingham – Withe scored both goals…

The earliest footage I can find of Blades v Blues is 10th October, 1970 when the Blades won 1-0 at St. Andrews with a goal from John Tudor:

This clip continues with a 4-4 draw at Bramall Lane on 24th August, 1996. Featuring for Birmingham are Paul Devlin, Gary Ablett, Paul Furlong and Steve Bruce(!). 1-2 down at HT, braces for United from both Gareth Taylor and Andy Walker shared the spoils in this second-tier (Division One) game where United were managed by Howard Kendall. Look out for the ‘bomb site’ on the John Street side, awaiting development.

On 10th February, 2001 United beat Brum. at Bramall Lane 3-1. The visitors’ goal coming from Geoff Horsfield

Our last competitive meeting with The Blues was on 28th January 2012 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Bramall Lane where Danny Wilson’s third-tier side lost 0-4 to Championship play-off losing Birmingham.

Of course, no account of our matches versus the Blues would be complete (for supporters ‘of a certain age’) without mentioning the final game of the 1974-75 season. Ken Furphy’s Blades were closing in on a final position in the top tier which may have allowed us to qualify for Europe. Around 8,000 United fans descended on St. Andrews for this Wednesday evening game on 29th April, 1975. Without any semblance of direction from stewards or police, most Blades found themselves on the large, partly-covered terrace down the side of the pitch. As it turned out, this was City territory – including the ‘Zulu Warriors’. As this 0-0 game progressed, many Birmingham fans infiltrated and carnage ensued. Personally, I had a United scarf on and was ‘targeted’ by 3 or 4 City fans and was pretty badly injured. Finally arriving back at New Street railway station, the highly-polished floor was covered in occasional pools of blood. Extremely grim times.

upload_2017-11-23_6-17-16.png
Full list

To date, our League results against Birmingham read:

Home: P: 49 W: 30 D: 8 L: 11 F: 109 A: 64

Away: P: 49 W: 12 D: 9 L: 28 F: 47 A: 86

Men to watch?

upload_2017-11-23_6-17-58.png

Ex-Blade Che Zach Everton Fred Adams joined Birmingham after playing just one game for United in the 2016-17 season. The fee was undisclosed, although the Sheffield Star reported it to be around £2 million, and that United had turned down deals valued at £1.2m and £1.7m. For some, a divisive figure at Bramall Lane, Che scored 11 goals in 47 appearance, including a sensational brace In the League Cup semi-final second leg against Tottenham Hotspur on 28 January 2015 at Bramall Lane. Adams replaced Campbell-Ryce after 74 minutes. Five minutes later he had scored his first goals for Sheffield United with two goals in just over two minutes, which would have taken the game to extra time had Christian Eriksen not scored for Tottenham Hotspur in the 88th minute to win 3–2 on aggregate.

upload_2017-11-23_6-19-1.pngupload_2017-11-23_6-19-53.pngupload_2017-11-23_6-20-26.png
Harry Redknapp’s brief tenure at City this summer led to a triple raid on the talented Brentford squad from the 2016-17 season. Harlee Dean (£2m), Jota (£6m) and Maxime Colin (£3m) all left for the Midlands club.

In all, Redknapp signed 13 players this summer. However, this hasn’t been translated into instant success and, prior to last Saturday’s narrow home win over Nottingham Forest, the Blues were in 22nd place, with only Bolton and Sunderland below them and gaining just 12 points from 16 games.

Last Saturday (18th November) Che Adams’ fifth-minute winner against Nottingham Forest ended a run of four straight defeats and 436 minutes without scoring since Che Adams scored in the 19th minute in the home win against Cardiff on 13th October. With just nine goals from 18 matches, Brum are by far the lowest scorers in the Championship.

Recent history: Like so many clubs in recent times, Birmingham have had a turbulent last few years. In 2007, Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung attempted to buy control of The Blues. Worried about the direction the club was taking, manager Steve Bruce resigned to become manager of Wigan Athletic. Over the protracted period of this takeover, Yeung was arrested in Hong Kong on charges of – among others – money laundering. He was sentenced to 6 years imprisonment, appealed, had his travel documents seized and finally, in July 2016, immediately returned to custody.

In June, 2015 ‘Brum were taken over by Trillion Trophy Asia who dismissed manager Gary Rowett and replaced him with Gianfranco Zola. Zola lasted a mere 24 matches before being replaced (incredibly) by the ubiquitous Harry Redknapp. Thirteen games, eight losses and many millions of pounds later, Redknapp left, was briefly replaced by Lee Carsley and Blues are currently managed by Steve Cotterill.

Attachments

• 70spacer.gif
    70spacer.gif
    65 bytes · Views: 1

Have a great memory of when we win 4 nil with peschy scoring the Garrick.

Got in the exec suite thanks to my dad's work. Anyway my dad said "don't embarrass me and get too pissed" fast forward after the match and peschy comes into the car park. My dad runs after him and jumps on his back. Peschy proceeds to give him a piggy back round car park. I just turned to my dad's boss and said "I'm sorry about him. I did warn him not to embarrass me"

13th December 1969. I was at a childrens Xmas party organised by my dad's works. At the end of the party my dad picked me up to take me home and the first thing he said to me was that United had won 6-0 (against Birmingham)! I was impressed !At the time I was slowly into football and I had only been to two home games (v Norwich and Cardiff in September but I hadnt yet known the names of the Blades players. I was aware that my dad and his youngest brother are Blades and that my mum's brothers were Wendy. I was more interested in Xmas and have no memory of being aware about the Blades playing at Norwich and Huddersfield in the next two games or the next home game against Watford. I was fully aware about us beating Everton in the FA Cup and watched the highlights on tv. After that I became a Lane regular

Always remember the 4-4 1st Home game of season.

Think we were 2-0 down pretty early on and went to 4-2 up only to end up drawing.

I remember Gary Ablett (RIP) gettig a shit load of abuse from us (were we about to sign him and he went to them instead?) Think furlong and Devlin scores for them.

Always remember the 4-4 1st Home game of season.

Think we were 2-0 down pretty early on and went to 4-2 up only to end up drawing.

I remember Gary Ablett (RIP) gettig a shit load of abuse from us (were we about to sign him and he went to them instead?) Think furlong and Devlin scores for them.
Another future Blade Jon Hunt scored for them too

This clip continues with a 4-4 draw at Bramall Lane on 24th August, 1996. Featuring for Birmingham are Paul Devlin, Gary Ablett, Paul Furlong and Steve Bruce(!). 1-2 down at HT, braces for United from both Gareth Taylor and Andy Walker shared the spoils in this second-tier (Division One) game where United were managed by Howard Kendall. Look out for the ‘bomb site’ on the John Street side, awaiting development.

That was a mad game. Did Jonathan Hunt play (and score?) for Birmingham then too?

I think Petr Katchouro came on for his debut during the game, only to be subbed shortly afterwards. He didn’t appear injured, so unsure why it happened.

That was a mad game. Did Jonathan Hunt play (and score?) for Birmingham then too?

I think Petr Katchouro came on for his debut during the game, only to be subbed shortly afterwards. He didn’t appear injured, so unsure why it happened.
Petr was struggling in the game so Kendall decided to sub the sub! He was upset and wanted to go back to Belarus!

Yes Hunt played and scored (see above video)

Of course, no account of our matches versus the Blues would be complete (for supporters ‘of a certain age’) without mentioning the final game of the 1974-75 season. Ken Furphy’s Blades were closing in on a final position in the top tier which may have allowed us to qualify for Europe. Around 8,000 United fans descended on St. Andrews for this Wednesday evening game on 29th April, 1975. Without any semblance of direction from stewards or police, most Blades found themselves on the large, partly-covered terrace down the side of the pitch. As it turned out, this was City territory – including the ‘Zulu Warriors’. As this 0-0 game progressed, many Birmingham fans infiltrated and carnage ensued. Personally, I had a United scarf on and was ‘targeted’ by 3 or 4 City fans and was pretty badly injured. Finally arriving back at New Street railway station, the highly-polished floor was covered in occasional pools of blood. Extremely grim times.​

That's the first time I've seen a figure put on the support we took that night. I went down with my brother on an SUT charabanc from Pond Street and it was certainly one of a large fleet. I recall there were other kids from our school on the same coach. We ended up on that large bank of terracing you mention and it was pretty chaotic and, to be honest, frightening with a (very) thin blue line of police between us and the Birmingham fans. Some missiles were thrown towards us but more memorable was the seemingly endless amount of phlegm which came our way over the heads of the bobbies. A game mainly remembered for the sitter TC missed late on. As we got back on the coach afterwards a brick came through one of the windows near my seat which made for a very cold journey home. Grim times indeed.

Shudder

I believe Peschi's goal in the 2001 win shown above was celebrated with such vigour as his wife, Karren Brady, was of course a director at Brum.

Trying to confirm this, but didn't future Blade Ian Bennett save a pen for them in the 0-0 draw in 1997?

Really interesting watching that back. Awful error by Vonk for Furlong’s goal, and that looked like an error by Kelly for Newell’s goal. I only remembered the Taylor goal of ours, as being a hopeful punt over the keeper. And for some reason I thought Hunt and Devlin’s goals had been the other way round...

Boos for Ablett, as we’d been hoping to make the previous season’s loan permanent – it took me a while to appreciate the player we went for instead, Sandford. Spackman also there as the Cowans replacement – he was nothing other than mediocre from my recollection of that season.

Shudder

I believe Peschi's goal in the 2001 win shown above was celebrated with such vigour as his wife, Karren Brady, was of course a director at Brum.

Trying to confirm this, but didn't future Blade Ian Bennett save a pen for them in the 0-0 draw in 1997?

Yes, he saved Borbokis' penalty.

Remember in the mid 90s when they sang Zulu Army through the whole of halftime. A couple of seasons later there was major trouble down there and up here over a series of matches including the Battle of London Road.

I think the only time I've seen us play Birmingham was the 4-3 home defeat on New Years Day 1985. Heffernan, Edwards and a Morris pen were our scorers. I don't actually remember much about the game at all!

My first away game without my dad as a 15 year old losing 1 nil in 2000. The coach got bricked on the way into the ground and it was a terrible game.

Did we play them in a friendly in the 1980s that was abandoned (may be a false memory)?

I remember going there on the first game of the season, Brum had just been promoted so there was a huge crowd there but not many Unitedites we headed for what we thought would be the away end it was but it was also populated by a huge mob of Brummies really a time to keep the head down and the gob firmly shut. The trouble started when Woody decided to hit a pile driver into the net we were stood behind and a few Unitedites forgot themselves, most of us got a good shoeing cos of them idiots. After the game at the coaches was just as bad we were stuck in traffic and ended up fighting them off at the front and back of our coach which had quite a few windows put through, a rather draughty trip home that day.

I think the only time I've seen us play Birmingham was the 4-3 home defeat on New Years Day 1985. Heffernan, Edwards and a Morris pen were our scorers. I don't actually remember much about the game at all!
We were winning 2-0 at one point. Wayne Clarke were one of the scorers for Birmingham

My first game vs Birmingham, Bramall Lane in May 1976, old Division 1 (Premiership in today's terms) last game of the season, night game, finished 1:1. We were already relegated, but with this score and others else where Brum stayed up, much to the delight of the 10,000 Brum fans in Sheffield that night.
This would never happen today, the last games of the season in the Premiership would all be played at the same time and on the same day for the Sky Sport TV.
Only visit to St Andrews was early 80s, another night game, League cup, lost about 4:0, myself and about 600 or so Blades on the away terrace. Must admit I was a bit nervous going there as a young un, I thought we might get a bashing by the Brum fans but we held our own on the way to the ground and after the game.

That was Villa. Got abandoned at half-time due to a frozen pitch.
We did play them at Bramall Lane in a friendly I think in January 1982 and beat them 2-1. I think the reason for playing was that we'd had quite a few away games called off and Porterfield felt we needed to stay match fit.

A few years ago we replaced our carpet and The Star from January 1985 had been used as carpet-liner. It contained a match report from the New Year's Day Birmingham match and Colin Morris told how one of the Birmingham players was trying to put him off when he was taking his penalty, so Morris just said to him "Look in your paper at the goalscorers tomorrow and it will say 'Morris, pen'".

One and only time that I’ve been to the shithole that is St Andrews we won 1-0 thanks to a Phil Starbucks goal, he’s gone onto greater things with a chain of coffee shops......think we signed him from Notts Forest!!!!!!!!!sorry Nottingham

One and only time that I’ve been to the shithole that is St Andrews we won 1-0 thanks to a Phil Starbucks goal, he’s gone onto greater things with a chain of coffee shops......think we signed him from Notts Forest!!!!!!!!!sorry Nottingham
Andy Walker scored the goal

In the game that Withe scored 2 in whilst he was on loan from us at BCFC, we had Roger Hansbury in our goal who was on loan to us from them. I seem to remember we had a goalkeeping crisis and the only reason why Withe was allowed to play against us was because we had no other options in goal so we had to agree to it.

In the game that Withe scored 2 in whilst he was on loan from us at BCFC, we had Roger Hansbury in our goal who was on loan to us from them. I seem to remember we had a goalkeeping crisis and the only reason why Withe was allowed to play against us was because we had no other options in goal so we had to agree to it.
Reg Brealey was furious with Billy McEwan and told him so after the match

Back
Top Bottom