Memries of Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
We first met (Woolwich) Arsenal on 7th February 1903 and our first league meeting was on Christmas Eve 1904. Our first appearance at The Emirates Stadium was the 23rd September, 2006 in the Premier League, where we lost 0-3. Prior to that – and since 1913 – Arsenal had played at the characterful Highbury Stadium, an Archibald Leitch-designed arena.

12 April 1913 – Woolwich Arsenal were relegated. One of the many myths of Arsenal's history is that the club has never been relegated. The Gunners have been in the top flight non-stop since 1919

Our league record v The Gunners is:

Home:

P:
47 W: 25 D: 14 L: 8 F: 100 A: 62

Away:

P:
47 W: 9 D: 8 L: 30 F: 50 A: 113

Recent games against Arsenal

1571372166635.png

Full history Sheffield United v Arsenal

I’ve gone back to our recent meetings in the Premier League, but my ‘Memries of Arsenal’ go much further back. On 24th August 1971, during our incredible return to the top-flight where we started the season ten games unbeaten (8 wins, 2 draws), we won 1-0 at Highbury. The previous season (1970-71) Arsenal had won ‘the double’ and The Sheffield Morning Telegraph headline was a bold, large, ‘Mafeking Relieved’-dramatic font - SAY IT AGAIN. ARSENAL - 0 SHEFFIELD UNITED – 1. It really was that incredible.

So who sat on the ball?

29th January 1972 and The Gooners won 0-5 in a League Division One encounter at Bramall Lane. Our fabulous ten-game unbeaten start to the 1971-72 season had faded and we would eventually finish in tenth place. Our line-up that cold Saturday was:

• Hope 2. Badger 3. Hemsley 4. Mackenzie 5. Colquhoun 6. Hockey 7. Woodward 8. Salmons 9. Dearden 10. Currie
    11. Scullion 12. Reece.
While Arsenal’s line-up wasn’t too shabby:

1571372191141.png

This was the game when – with Arsenal leading 0-5, Alan Ball sat on the ball near the halfway line, JSS side.

The favour was returned by TC on 4th September, 1973 when we beat Arsenal 5-0 at Bramall Lane.

1571372238855.png

We’d played Arsenal three times since the first ‘Alan Ball game’ (the 1-0 win of 7th October saw Alan Ball sent off) but this Tuesday night game saw us win 5-0. My memries of this game? Not many as I was still queuing to get on the kop 20 minutes after the game had started – and we were 4-0 up! I was in the ground to see an imperious TC sat on the ball when we were 5-0 up!

United scored four goals in the opening seventeen minutes (two from Currie) within the first in thirty five seconds. Currie in devastating form, sat on the ball near the end, completing United's revenge for the January 1972 defeat. Our other goals came from Dearden, Woodward and Jim Bone.

On 27th October 1981, we played a midweek League Cup second-round, second-leg game at Highbury. Leading 1-0 from the first leg, we lost 0-2 in the second leg. The published crowd was just 22,301 but the Blades took thousands – taking the entire ‘Clock End’. I was working in That London at the time and it was a quick tube ride up from my salubrious accommodation in Bethnal Green. Finding a pub near the ground and opposite the Arsenal underground station, I was in the bogs having a piss when a bloke joined me. The windows in the bog were slightly ajar and the main steps down from the tube station were just across the road.

‘What time your boys arriving, then?’ Said this denizen of the metropolis. Right on cue, the sound of glasses smashing, police dogs barking and a shout of ‘United! United!’

‘Er, I think they’re here, mate!’

On 6th January 1996, Howard Kendall’s Blades drew 1-1 in the FA Cup third round before winning the replay back at Bramall Lane two weeks later. We would exit the Cup in the next round – a 0-1 home defeat to Villa:

23rd February 1999 saw a ‘routine’ FA Cup Fifth Round tie at Highbury. The original tie played on 13 February 1999 (which also ended in a 2-1 win in Arsenal's favour) was declared void after Arsenal's plea for a replay was accepted by the FA in the interests of 'fair play'. This was because the 76th minute winner by Marc Overmars came after Sheffield United keeper Alan Kelly had kicked the ball out of play for an injured colleague to receive treatment. On his Arsenal debut, Nwankwo Kanu was unaware of the usual custom of returning the ball to their opponents in such circumstances, and crossed for Overmars to score. It was the first time in the 127-year history of the FA Cup that such a re-match had been ordered.

_______________________________________________________________________________continued>>>​

In the ‘Triple Assault Season’ (2002-03) Neil Warnock’s Blades met Arsenal in the semi-final of the FA Cup at Old Trafford. Arsenal were reigning Premier League Champions and United were in Division One (second tier). Freddie Ljungberg scored the only goal of the game in the 34th minute but United were heroic and certainly didn’t deserve to lose. Starting line-ups:

1571372418599.png

The game was characterised by Arsenal’s David Seaman making possibly ‘the best save ever’.

On 30th December, 2006 in the Premier League Neil Warnock handed a starting position to Christian Nade. On another ‘one of those nights’ under the Bramall Lane floodlights, Nade put the Blades 1-0 up at half-time but, in the second half, goalkeeper Paddy Kenny suffered a groin strain and had to go off. Unfortunately, United hadn’t name another keeper as sub and Phil Jagielka saw the game out between the sticks for United.

Our most recent meeting with The Gunners was on 23rd September 2008 in the third round of the (Carling) League Cup. This meeting at The Emirates Stadium saw Arsenal’s youngest-ever starting line-up trounce The Blades 0-6. An unused sub. for the Blades that night was Billy Sharp.

Premier League Table:

The Blades sit in 13th place while the Gunners – despite their indifferent start to the season with just two wins in their last five games – are in third place:

1571372530203.png

Latest Premier League Table

_____________________________________________________________________________________continued>>>​

Top Scorers:

Aubameyang is easily The Gunners’ top scorer so far this season:

1571372596264.png

Men to Watch:

Nicolas Pépé
Signed from Lille on 1st August a club-record fee of €79 million (£72 million), eclipsing the previous record of €62 million for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.31st January 2018 from Borussia Dortmund. Obviously – like all Arsenal teams – quality all over the pitch. But I’ve just got a feeling about this one…

The Manager:

1571372616721.png

Unai Emery became Arsenal manager on 23rd May, 2018 shortly after leaving Paris Saint-Germain.

Arsenal are a side that I don't dislike one bit, they've been very good to us over the years if memory has served me well..

Very early memory of them taking the pigs to 6? Replays only to break their hearts in the cup. That was a good start, they'd convinced themselves they were gonna beat them.

Then always beating them when they got on the big match live, and who can forget the cup finals where they went to replays (in at least one) and ended up defeated in both finals... Lovely stuff..

For my part as we left old Trafford after that game, a van full of gooners slid the side door open and drew up beside us, just as they start to shake a bottle of warm cava (wasn't champers) to spray out the door at us, I shout over "go and win it now lads, we're ok with you lot for beating Wendy in all them cups" lad was taken aback offered me a drink but i declined and went on to the car park.. how they could Lord it over us was surprising, cause they took a miracle save to stop us that day.. hey ho, all in the past..

One of the weird matches against Arsenal was the 3-0 win in the 5th round Cup replay in Feb 1959. The fog was so thick that you could barely see the half-way line right through the game. Hodgy unusually played as sweeper, in order to see something of what was going on at the other end, and if you think VAR kills goal celebrations, it is nothing compared to thick fog. A noise alerts you to the possibility of something going on at the other end, cheering begins to spread like a Mexican wave, then players emerged out of the fog celebrating (but in that understated way of the pre-1960s), and finally Hodgy came skipping back to his penalty area to make it clear to the Kop that we had scored. And rumours circulated, with mixed accuracy; one correct one was that the Arsenal keeper had gone off injured. I don't recall any other match played throughout in such fog - can anyone else remember one?

I assume I was there, but have no memory of it...
I was sat in the South Stand and it wasnt easy seeing the crowd in the JSS or in the Kop. The fog would have been more dense in 1959 because of the smoke from the factories would have added the density in the fog. The clean air act improved the air quality in the city centre in the 1970s

Starting lineup the last time Arsenal visited Bramall Lane.

Bennett
Bromby
Morgan
Armstrong
Lucketti
Carney
Montgomery
Tonge
S. Quinn
Sharp
Stead

Attendance: 16,971

Arsenal won promotion back to the top division after world war 1 in 1920 by finishing 6th
no they did not win the play offs but somehow were invited to go up in front of 4 other clubs
The football league said they would publish the reasons behind that decision in due course
They are due any day now

One of most controversial games ever View attachment 62925

How can that be over 20 years ago?

How many of that team would you take in the present day team? I'd have Kelly in goal and I think Holdsworth would look good in the current back 3. Probably take Marcelo up front as well. Is that Borkokis under Kelly's armpit? I reckon he'd look fantastic in a Wilder side up and down the right

Arsenal won promotion back to the top division after world war 1 in 1920 by finishing 6th
no they did not win the play offs but somehow were invited to go up in front of 4 other clubs
The football league said they would publish the reasons behind that decision in due course
They are due any day now
Not quite correct. Arsenal finished in 5th place at the end of the 1915 season and got "promoted" when the FL resumed in 1919 instead of Barnsley who finished in 3rd place in 1915.

They are due any day now

Later adjusted to 5th after an error at the time.

The reason, laughable then as well as now, was given at the time.

Not quite correct. Arsenal finished in 5th place at the end of the 1915 season and got "promoted" when the FL resumed in 1919 instead of Barnsley who finished in 3rd place in 1915.

they also let Chelsea stay up. They’d finished in one of the two relegation places. The top division expanded to 22 clubs as a result.

2nd game of 1975 76 , a 3 1 defeat, only time I saw a man bawling in BLUT.
Probably Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady destroying us that night. 😕

Three of my top ten Blades watching experiences involve matches against Arsenal .

The thrilling 1959 2-2 FA cup match at Highbury , the 3-0 thrashing of them in the replay at the Lane ( albeit I and every other supporter only saw half of the match due to the fog ) and best of all , the 5-0 humiliation we inflicted on them in 1973 after a TC master class .

Anyone who has any doubts as to what an outstanding footballer he was when at his best could not have been there on that day , and a good number of others I could mention .

That 96 replay, Carl Vearts stooping header to knock them out of the cup, memorable thing about that.
Driving back home from match first caller on P & G was Seamans now ex wife, absolutely going mental praising the blades. Paul Walker didn't know what to say when she came on.

"Hi Paul, just really want to praise the blades, fantastic result, I'm David Seamans ex wife..."
Etc etc

Was pissing misen laughing, had to stop car.
She had found out he was cheating on her and had kicked him out, if I remember correctly.

Not the most flattering angle of Lys scoring against Arsenal, the camera has definitely added some pounds on.
Screenshot_20240303_175905_Instagram.jpg

Back
Top Bottom