Membership rip-off

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have to say I'm genuinely surprised how we've struggled to sell out for games this season.

Sky or not I'd have expected this to sell out.

I'm lost, what exactly is the point of this thread???

Membership + points total gives priority to what day you can buy tickets, so technically we could sell out before we get to points only days but thats not happened so far this season for home games! UTB!

Those that have shelled out £40 for no discernible reason. Not difficult.

Thanks Rod, you get it completely. Previously loyalty points alone guaranteed tickets, now you have to have membership too (which as already stated has rocketed in price this season for £25 to £40) and the benefits have been cut. No wonder we are not selling out.

Conclusion - Membership is now required regardless of how loyal you have been - hence extortion!

Those that have shelled out £40 for no discernible reason. Not difficult.
But they do get something for their £40. They get priority, which is important for some people.

I don't see the problem with a private business offering a membership that brings certain rights. If you didn't think it was worth it, don't buy it, just like a Costco card.

Then you drop down the priority list , but can still get a ticket once all the members have had their feast.

Thanks Rod, you get it completely. Previously loyalty points alone guaranteed tickets, now you have to have membership too (which as already stated has rocketed in price this season for £25 to £40) and the benefits have been cut. No wonder we are not selling out.

Conclusion - Membership is now required regardless of how loyal you have been - hence extortion!
That is literally not true, you can buy tickets for the Arsenal game with 150 points and no membership. Even with membership, there is officially no guarantee of getting tickets (although effectively it's impossible not to get tickets are there aren't enough members to sell out).

The only reason membership is a rip-off for some is precisely because there will always be tickets available once they go on sale to non-members, which is the exact opposite of your stupid inaccurate complaint.

But they do get something for their £40. They get priority, which is important for some people.

I don't see the problem with a private business offering a membership that brings certain rights. If you didn't think it was worth it, don't buy it, just like a Costco card.

Then you drop down the priority list , but can still get a ticket once all the members have had their feast.
The priority is already there with loyalty points, but in the summer United said using these points is not possible unless you give us an extra £40 first.

That is literally not true, you can buy tickets for the Arsenal game with 150 points and no membership. Even with membership, there is officially no guarantee of getting tickets (although effectively it's impossible not to get tickets are there aren't enough members to sell out).

The only reason membership is a rip-off for some is precisely because there will always be tickets available once they go on sale to non-members, which is the exact opposite of your stupid inaccurate complaint.

It literally was true until the Leicester game; United said people HAD to have a membership card in order to purchase tickets no ifs no buts, when an already-functioning method of determining fans priority (loyalty points) already existed.

The priority is already there with loyalty points, but in the summer United said using these points is not possible unless you give us an extra £40 first.
yes that is right. so for the £40 you get extra priority.

People are saying this is new but it was certainly the case when we made the FA Cup semi final under clough as these pages and bladesmad were full of people winging about it then.

When we were shit no one ever mentiuoned it because you could turn up and buy a ticket whenever you fancied.

No it's a bit harder again, everyone wants to slag it off, but it's perfectly fine for home games.

It literally was true until the Leicester game; United said people HAD to have a membership card in order to purchase tickets no ifs no buts, when an already-functioning method of determining fans priority (loyalty points) already existed.
I'm guessing they thought demand would be higher and this would be the scheme they'd need to reduce demand to those that really want tickets. It turns out demand is lower than expected so the rules have been relaxed

yes that is right. so for the £40 you get extra priority.

People are saying this is new but it was certainly the case when we made the FA Cup semi final under clough as these pages and bladesmad were full of people winging about it then.

When we were shit no one ever mentiuoned it because you could turn up and buy a ticket whenever you fancied.

No it's a bit harder again, everyone wants to slag it off, but it's perfectly fine for home games.
There is no “extra priority” for having a membership in conjunction with loyalty points - if they said Members on 30k,25k etc then Non-Members on 30k,25k there would be some justification.

United came up with a scheme to prioritise fans for big games, the loyalty points scheme. Over the summer they then said in order to use those points you needed to give them £40.
Why some won’t see what the problem is with this is a mystery to me.
This is nothing to do with us previously being shit and being able to buy a ticket when you want; it’s about the simple fact that they implemented a loyalty scheme 13 years ago then said you have to give them more money in order to take advantage of the loyalty points you’ve built up. Scandalous.

Reactions: Dkc

There is no “extra priority” for having a membership in conjunction with loyalty points - if they said Members on 30k,25k etc then Non-Members on 30k,25k there would be some justification.

United came up with a scheme to prioritise fans for big games, the loyalty points scheme. Over the summer they then said in order to use those points you needed to give them £40.
This is nothing to do with us previously being shit and being able to buy a ticket when you want; it’s about the simple fact that they implemented a loyalty scheme 13 years ago then said you have to give them more money in order to take advantage of the loyalty points you’ve built up. Scandalous.
Did they actually say membership was compulsory? The problem with arguing over something that was done to death two months ago is that it’s difficult to remember who said what. I recall a couple of posters saying they’d been given refunds on membership but I can’t remember exactly why.
I wonder how much of this is down to the turmoil at boardroom level and lack of clear direction from the top.

You have been able to buy a ticket for a league games without a membership for all home league games this season since Leicester. You are aware of this ?

You have been able to buy a ticket for a league games without a membership for all home league games this season since Leicester. You are aware of this ?
The point I’m making is that it shouldn’t need a £40 membership the club were insisting on over the summer to use the points you’ve built up; the loyalty points alone should determine eligibility for tickets.

Did they actually say membership was compulsory? The problem with arguing over something that was done to death two months ago is that it’s difficult to remember who said what. I recall a couple of posters saying they’d been given refunds on membership but I can’t remember exactly why.
I wonder how much of this is down to the turmoil at boardroom level and lack of clear direction from the top.
That was the message from the ticket office; to use your points you had to have a membership card then it went to general sale after that. Granted you could have risked it and waited for general sale but it’s only been because the membership card take up has been poor that matches are now going to general sale.
My issue is that you shouldn’t need to give the Club more money in order to use your points you’ve built up over the last 13 years.

That was the message from the ticket office; to use your points you had to have a membership card then it went to general sale after that. Granted you could have risked it and waited for general sale but it’s only been because the membership card take up has been poor that matches are now going to general sale.
My issue is that you shouldn’t need to give the Club more money in order to use your points you’ve built up over the last 13 years.
This thread seems to indicate otherwise

Technically the games don't go on general sale after members, they still do the 500 point minimum when they first go on sale to non-members, then that requirement is lowered later on, so loyalty points do count. They could have more points brackets for non-members with thousands of points if the demand was there, but it isn't so they don't.

A membership card has never been required to attend a single home game this season, they did the stupid 500 point rule that prevented some members buying tickets for the first couple of games, but non-members with more than 500 could buy them.

It's a really simple system: Season ticket holders get priority over members. Members get priority over non-members.
Members with lots of points get priority over members with less points, who get priority over non-members, who get priority over non-members with hardly any points, who get priority over anyone who isn't in the database.

If anyone was being forced to spend an unnecessary £40 or was missing out on tickets I could see why some people are still banging on about it months later, but nobody actually needs membership to be able to attend home games.

So you don't have to have membership but you can if you want, thought I'd clear it all up for you

Have to say I'm genuinely surprised how we've struggled to sell out for games this season.

Sky or not I'd have expected this to sell out.

Our hardcore support had never been so high

but in the past loads of floaters, students, casual football fans would want to see local PL football.
Hence why when United or Wednesday play in the top division an extra 5000 plus that don’t support either team want to see each game.
Some will have allegiances to the away team but are willing to sit with the home fans and stay quiet.

When we were last in the PL I went to our home games with quite a few casual fans. None of those groups can go to our match now.

no it isn't , its perfectly reasonable, and has been in place in previous seasons such as when we reached the cup semi final.

and of course there is extra priority if you have a membership as you are ahead in the queue of anyone who isn't a member.

We should probably leave it there as we clearly have completely different views on the facts and they aren't going to change with this exchange

Back
Top Bottom