Membership rip-off

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
I know there is a thread on Loyalty points but but my gripe with the club is how they have now changed the criteria for buying tickets from just having loyalty points (from earlier in the season) to now requiring loyalty points and Membership.

I have plenty of points but they now don't count for anything unless I buy membership. I usually buy online but queried this with the ticket office on why I can't buy Arsenal tickets, they said membership and loyalty points are required (which is a complete change from earlier in the season) so additional membership will cost my family £120. So £120 plus the £102 for tickets will cost an astonishing £222 for three tickets!

Having been a regular attender over the the years I have plenty of loyalties points but now have to wait until the on sale to 500 loyalty points category to get tickets. What was the point of the loyalty scheme if it now has a huge proviso.

Seems membership is suddenly been forced on regular supporters and is clear an attempt to extort money from supporters who have been loyal to the club.

I know there is a thread on Loyalty points but but my gripe with the club is how they have now changed the criteria for buying tickets from just having loyalty points (from earlier in the season) to now requiring loyalty points and Membership.

I have plenty of points but they now don't count for anything unless I buy membership. I usually buy online but queried this with the ticket office on why I can't buy Arsenal tickets, they said membership and loyalty points are required (which is a complete change from earlier in the season) so additional membership will cost my family £120. So £120 plus the £102 for tickets will cost an astonishing £222 for three tickets!

Having been a regular attender over the the years I have plenty of loyalties points but now have to wait until the on sale to 500 loyalty points category to get tickets. What was the point of the loyalty scheme if it now has a huge proviso.

Seems membership is suddenly been forced on regular supporters and is clear an attempt to extort money from supporters who have been loyal to the club.

9am Thursday 3rd October
500+ Loyalty Points - membership not required

Tickets will be on sale to supporters with 500 loyalty points or above.
One ticket per supporter.

You don’t need a current membership , it is sufficient if you have had membership at some point . My mate has not been a member for 3 years but has a customer number from when he was and he got a ticket for Monday no problem.
As ever UTB

This season
In the Premier League
You have ALWAYS needed Points & Membership to buy HOME Tickets in the Initial Priority Period
But, HOME Tickets have ALWAYS gone down to just POINTS (no Membership) once that Priority Period has ended.
Tony Currie does not say which match he/she is trying to buy for. But, whichever it is, once it gets to the date, he/she will not need a Membership to buy a ticket.

This season
In the Premier League
You have ALWAYS needed Points & Membership to buy HOME Tickets in the Initial Priority Period
But, HOME Tickets have ALWAYS gone down to just POINTS (no Membership) once that Priority Period has ended.
Tony Currie does not say which match he/she is trying to buy for. But, whichever it is, once it gets to the date, he/she will not need a Membership to buy a ticket.

Agreed, Membership (which I have) gives peace of mind for getting home tickets but every home game has been available to non members. It was a gamble pre season as we thought that there may be early, i.e. non member, sell outs but that hasn’t been the case.

I deliberately don't have membership as it's a rip-off (unless you're a non ST holder who wants away tickets), but have never had any issue getting tickets. They tweaked the points boundaries after people with memberships but hardly any points complained at the start of the season, but most of the BL Upper is always available when it drops down to the points only requirement. There's never been a non-member higher points threshold.

Presumably this relates to the Man U match which isn't on sale to non members until the day after Tuesday, so if you want tickets now you do need points+membership. The Arsenal match only has a 150 point and no membership requirement.

I bought a ticket for Arsenal last week and I’ve not got a membership.

You dont need to be a member to buy tickets ,still tickets available for arsenal if you want one.
I think it's a minimum of 150 points and you could get one.

The point is either way, it's a rip off.
It's nothing to do with loyalty, it's simply extortion.

I’d assume most people with a membership will attend more than a handful of games a season. If you attend 10 games it’s an extra £4 per game for the ability to secure tickets earlier on in the sales process. Not such a rip off.

It has been like that since they introduced the membership in 2013(?)

And yes, it's a complete rip off regardless. Particularly now they've bumped it up from £25 - £40 and took away most of the benefits

No membership needed for Arsenal for 2 weeks:

9am Thursday 3rd October
500+ Loyalty Points - membership not required

so, misunderstanding or shit stirring

Whether it’s a rip off or not depends on what you want to get out of it. If you’re not bothered where you sit, it‘s possibly a waste of money.

If, like us, you have two family members with long-standing STs, and one with c16,000 points, a membership means we can get the third ticket we need early doors, and sit close together in the middle of the South. Which, in turn, means we can be together up til kick off, and at HT, and leave together at the end.

The other two, who aren’t me, are my lads. Forty quid is a lot, but if it means the three of us can go to the match together, and share the day, it’s a very long way from a rip off.

(Though, obviously, everything is black and white these days, and the possibility that different people may have different realities has fallen out of fashion. So, yeah, absolute garbage from the club. The robbing bastards).

Of course it’s a rip-off. United implemented a loyalty point scheme in order to differentiate those fans who are more eligible than others to attend; now they are saying that you have to bung them an extra £40 in order to get on the ladder with the points you have already accumulated.

Peace of mind my arse; people accumulated those loyalty points fair and square, now they have to spend £40 in order to use them?

Of course it’s a rip-off. United implemented a loyalty point scheme in order to differentiate those fans who are more eligible than others to attend; now they are saying that you have to bung them an extra £40 in order to get on the ladder with the points you have already accumulated.

Peace of mind my arse; people accumulated those loyalty points fair and square, now they have to spend £40 in order to use them?
Why do you need a membership?
What game have you needed it for?

Why do you need a membership?
What game have you needed it for?
The blurb from the ticket office in the summer and for the first couple of home games was that membership only was required; regardless, membership shouldn’t even be needed on the first place - there is a loyalty point scheme to differentiate fans based on matches attended, there shouldn’t be a further £40 cost just to use those points.

The blurb from the ticket office in the summer and for the first couple of home games was that membership only was required; regardless, membership shouldn’t even be needed on the first place - there is a loyalty point scheme to differentiate fans based on matches attended, there shouldn’t be a further £40 cost just to use those points.
There isn't. What game have you missed out on?

Those that have shelled out £40 for no discernible reason. Not difficult.
Ok, get you. It was past beer o'clock!
I can't remeber what membership cost before this season. But haven't you always needed points plus membership, until the last few steps?

I have griped about this myself since it came in this season. Having had a membership for a few seasons now I was disappointed to see the club remove the free ticket from the membership "benefits" and then add in the criteria for needing a membership to buy tickets before they go on general sale. So effectively they have cancelled out any saving that membership brings, and seem to be scaring supporters into buying one with the prospect of not getting a match day ticket.

As it happens I think that most home matches have eventually gone on general sale so far, but the point still stands.

I am lucky that I can afford the £40 for me and the 2 kids, without needing the free ticket to offset the cost, and whilst I have never been one to criticise the club this just stinks of rinsing people for extra money as far as I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom