Media predictions for PL table May 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's a cup tie every game, just give it the same as our Third Division team did whenever it played a team from a higher division

I could say give 150% but then we'd be criticised for being industrious and workmanlike

I could say attack with our overlapping centre backs but then we'd be stupid and naive everytime somebody scored against us

I could say keep the ball and not let Man City have it to do damage to us, but then we'd be accused of ruining the game

It won't matter what we do we'll be criticised so FUCK THEM

Let's break some legs, cave some noses in, punch everybody in the gob, and sneakily and accidentally elbow the ref in the face whilst running past him, then invade the media section and batter them as well, then we can all burst out laughing like that time Tony Philliskirk went up for a header

I wouldn’t mind if they applied some sort of consistent logic to their predictions.
Aston Villa finished 23 points behind us last season but they’ve spent a lot of money and signed a lot of players so that will make them good enough to finish 15th.
We finished only 5 points behind Norwich but we’ve spent a lot more money than them and signed a lot more players. So by the Villa logic we should overhaul them but no apparently not.

We’ll see. Can’t wait
13 not 23

I can’t fathom why anyone would have us finishing below Norwich. We were defensively much better than them and they only reason they managed to win the league is that they got incredibly lucky with late goals- that isn’t sustainable for another season, especially against greater opposition.

I'd be amazed if we end up bottom. I have a sense of us finishing no lower than 12th.

We have a great squad with real quality and balance and we have a manager who has put together a set of players who will relish attacking and surprising some very big established giants of the game who will get the shock of their lives.

We have hungry quality and youthful belief and great individual and group ambition. If the big boys can handle that then all credit to them. However the mid-table, tired, steady lot (the ones who are not worth watching when they play each other on T.V.), think they have easy points against us, then they are in for a real shock.

We have players who can drop and defend and we have full capability to go fast on the break. Our players have goals all over them.

I would never say we are going to do a Notts Forest under Brian Clough all that time ago but just watch us go.

Pretty much every season, one of the newly promoted teams go straight back down. Often two. Villa are a big club, so not them.

That there is the sum total of the analysis, no matter how much padding out. It's backing the first and second favourites in a three horse race and let's be honest, we all went for Cardiff last season didn't we?

All noise and nonsense.

I have full faith in the squad, and wilder alone must be worth 15 points or so. I think we have signed well and been very astute in our business. From that perspective, I think we're good enough and there are plenty of points to pick up along the road which will stand us in a good position, especially the first half of the season.

I have full confidence in our tactical approach, and now with the signings the ability to mix it up formation when 352 doesn't work.

What does concern me is something of the unknown really over recent years, there will be times where it doesn't go to plan, results will go against and we will likely be on a few consecutive losses at times. Its how we pick ourselves up from them which I hope we demonstrate.

But to have us rooted to the bottom on every prediction is just naivety on the majority part, some present reasonable arguments, others just see us and slot us into that spot without any backing up. There has been a lot of ignorance around us, but I'm sure Chris and the boys won't mind that. Under the radar is fine for me.

Neck on line - 17th(just)

"The Blades are a throwback.

They stand in opposition to many of the things we associate, and perhaps dislike, about modern football."

Fucking bizarre statement.

I can’t fathom why anyone would have us finishing below Norwich. We were defensively much better than them and they only reason they managed to win the league is that they got incredibly lucky with late goals- that isn’t sustainable for another season, especially against greater opposition.
Sorry mate, can't agree. The reason they won the league is that they were the best team over 46 games, and late goals are not lucky, they are just the same as early goals.

The BBC has us finishing 17th.

Quite the outlier!

Sheffield United
Last season - Promoted

This season - 17th

There is always at least one prediction that goes against the grain and this is mine.

Sheffield United are plenty of people's tips to go down but I am going with the Chris Wilder factor and the stirring surroundings of Bramall Lane to keep the Blades in the Premier League.

Wilder revels in his "old school" managerial persona. Do not be fooled.

He is smart, meticulously prepared, has proved his tactical flexibility and his impressive record shows a manager waiting for this chance to show that he can sit comfortably at the highest level.

Phil Jagielka's return will provide experience, while Oli McBurnie, at a club record £20m from Swansea City, will be relied upon for potency.

Well here we have McNulty from the beeb predicting us to survive, for the same reason most of us fall back on, Chris Wilder.

boo .. i thought Lawro would be the first to rebel.. hats off to McNulty

It doesn't on twitter anymore but luckily someone put it on youtube before they deleted it

I’ll rephrase the question: why would anyone in their right mind create something like this in the first place? Don’t get me wrong, I love the alternative ending to The Karate Kid where Johnny Lawrence wins the final, but this seems a bizarre thing to create either before or after the actual events...

I wouldn't say that Norwich were lucky with the number of late goals they scored but they often left themselves in a position where they had to score at the death. These weren't fourth goals in a walkover, they were 96th minute winners.

I do, however, completely agree with your opening sentence. Predicting Norwich to stay up while we go down rock bottom just tells me that no research has been done: arguably, our biggest weakness was the lack of pace in an ageing forward line so what have we done? Signed a 23 year old and a 24 year old and crucially both are quick. A lack of alternatives to Duffy was also a problem - so we sign Luke Freeman, statistically one of the best players in the Championship over the last couple of seasons.

Norwich's attack is OK. Pukki's season was an outlier but in Buendia they've got a gem while Vrančić, Hernández and Leitner are decent players. They've got a major weakness in goal and at centre back though and I expect them to concede somewhere over 70 goals this season.

Dean Saunders has just said on Talksport that he has a feeling that Sheffield United will do really well because Chris Wilder is a winner.

Alan Brazil asked him what “really well” means, he asked if they could finish top half.
Saunders replied “no, not that well but I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished mid table, which is much better than people expect”.

Dean Saunders has just said on Talksport that he has a feeling that Sheffield United will do really well because Chris Wilder is a winner.

Alan Brazil asked him what “really well” means, he asked if they could finish top half.
Saunders replied “no, not that well but I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished mid table, which is much better than people expect”.

Did Brazil try to divert him away and asks how Leeds will do in the Championship?

I really hope every journalist tips us to come bottom. I also hope everyone else including other teams buy into it and they under estimate us.
The punch that does the most damage is the one you don’t see, and all this talk puts no pressure on us from the start.
This is where we like it and we’ve always been better when there’s a point to prove and an opportunity to upset the apple cart.
Bring it on!

Even the fans have started to chant about us staying up today. Always a good sign

Back
Top Bottom