Media predictions for PL table May 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Michael Owen reckons 19th for us

The utter shower that is the Bleacher Report says bottom with 22 points. Note how the article doesn't mention a single club outside of the top 6.

The Guardian are currently posting their predictions alphabetically, two teams a day. Up to Everton so far.

Michael Owen reckons 19th for us

The utter shower that is the Bleacher Report says bottom with 22 points. Note how the article doesn't mention a single club outside of the top 6.

The Guardian are currently posting their predictions alphabetically, two teams a day. Up to Everton so far.
stick to the nags Michael ;)

The nice thing is that most of us Blades truly believe that we know something that the so called experts don't. Long may that continue, and long may we confound the critics. Chris Wilder has made a career out of doing so.

I cant wait to shock some of these pundits and experts this season....no doubt they'll put it down to freak results though.

In fact the more we get written off the more it makes me believe that we can survive. We seen how the team and CWAK respond to being the underdogs and underestimated

Who are these people? Calling us the next Fulham or Huddersfield. Chris Wilder would have kept both of them up and probably done better than auld big nose did.

Sheffield United - last season: Promoted
What's new: The £20m club-record arrival of Oli McBurnie from Swansea has topped off an exciting summer for Chris Wilder's side, who have added some vital Premier League experience in Phil Jagielka.

Who They Want: Wilder is still believed to be interested in taking Everton defender Mason Holgate on loan but faces competition from West Brom.

Bookies say: Odds-on to go straight back down.

We say: McBurnie's goals will be the key.

Spent: £42m

Players in: 7

Received: £0m

Staying up would be a bitter/sweet success
Wilder's achievements in keeping us up will be viewed on a similar level as turning water into wine. I mean what other miracle comes close.
Then he's probably gone, happy that he's taken scruffy old us as far as he can, and off to test himself at a club that's looking to compete higher up the League. Maybe Everton, Leicester or West Ham if they don't perform quite as well as their owners would like

Will he fuck as like be gone. If we stay up he'll be building on that success and trying to establish us like Eddie Howe has with his lot.

What have we got to lose ? Let's be positive and adapt as we go .our lads learn quick
Look at us in the championship ,one year in .out

Wilder's achievements in keeping us up will be viewed on a similar level as turning water into wine. I mean what other miracle comes close.
Then he's probably gone, happy that he's taken scruffy old us as far as he can, and off to test himself at a club that's looking to compete higher up the League. Maybe Everton, Leicester or West Ham if they don't perform quite as well as their owners would like

Sean Dyche is still at Burnley, and he got them into Europe and has only spent about £30m more over 5 seasons than we have in this one window.

If Dyche is yet to be poached, I don't see why we'd lose Wilder to a bigger team, unless we fucked it up somehow, a new board, or we don't back him.

Our current board have already shown ambition and will hopefully be sorted in a positive way by the JTW. Show more ambition then, and we stay up, Wilder will want to build whilever he has the tools provided.

We won't be anywhere near the relegation zone by the end of the season. Lazy journalism and punditry is a disease in this sport.

We won't be anywhere near the relegation zone by the end of the season. Lazy journalism and punditry is a disease in this sport.

Money innit.

Spend money = you're better

Historically have had money = you're better

Chuck in the fact that the press have all likely got mates at Villa, Newcastle, Norwich etc due to their being Premier League recently or currently and that's why everyone looks past the fact we had the best defensive record in the league and have bought a shitload of fast attacking players for the other end.

Same with all press.

Look at the reviews for Star Wars the Last Jedi for example, possibly the worst film I have ever seen, Star Wars fans despise it on the whole - it got 8s and 9s out of 10 in the press, because they probably got a really nice goodie bag from Disney with a BB8 toy in it, and they know a producer who gives them tidbits of info at Lucas film, and they've been promised tickets to a press screening in Tokyo for the next film.

Can't be telling the truth can you, not when there's money on the line.

Got to say, though, If JO’C is injured for any length of time it makes our task that whole lot tougher.
Key IMO

Sean Dyche is still at Burnley, and he got them into Europe and has only spent about £30m more over 5 seasons than we have in this one window.

If Dyche is yet to be poached, I don't see why we'd lose Wilder to a bigger team, unless we fucked it up somehow, a new board, or we don't back him.

Our current board have already shown ambition and will hopefully be sorted in a positive way by the JTW. Show more ambition then, and we stay up, Wilder will want to build whilever he has the tools provided.

I think we will be just about ok, we need a ‘goon’ in midfield perhaps.. we are of course in a mini league with Norwich, Villa, Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace and Newcastle. I think Burnley will really struggle this season, and palace too... especially if they sell Zaha.

FOTH.

In fact, just

FO......

Talksport. We’re a “throwback” apparently.

Prediction: 20th.

The positions they have had predicted I don’t think are too bad to be fair. You’ve got the standard media love in for Lampard and I would swap us with Brighton but overall the positions I don’t disagree too much with.

I didn’t bother reading anyone’s write up apart from ours. As expected it’s the usual “honest hard work” which is the sole reason we achieved promotion in 2/3 seasons.

Either these are crap or not. we can't accept their (media) evaluations of the piggies and not their evaluation of us. I am looking forward to it, time will tell, I am hoping we can be the dark horses this year. Might have to have a Championship team for a year to fill my Tuesday evenings.

99% of Blades probably don't want to see the negative approach we saw at times under Warnock last time we were up there; particularly away. Sure we will have to be a bit more pragmatic but we have to stick to the ethos and style that got us here. We will get some drubbing I am sure but rather that the the limp way we surrender last time we were up there.
Exactly this. The way Warnock played away was terrible. Let's try and get a point. Oops we've conceded what now?

Launching today, The Athletic offers to give a new model to sports journalism.

New model, same prediction: 20th.

6A7D7EF7-5DA6-435E-87ED-9173FD534E17.jpeg

Money innit.

Spend money = you're better

Historically have had money = you're better

Chuck in the fact that the press have all likely got mates at Villa, Newcastle, Norwich etc due to their being Premier League recently or currently and that's why everyone looks past the fact we had the best defensive record in the league and have bought a shitload of fast attacking players for the other end.

Same with all press.

Look at the reviews for Star Wars the Last Jedi for example, possibly the worst film I have ever seen, Star Wars fans despise it on the whole - it got 8s and 9s out of 10 in the press, because they probably got a really nice goodie bag from Disney with a BB8 toy in it, and they know a producer who gives them tidbits of info at Lucas film, and they've been promised tickets to a press screening in Tokyo for the next film.

Can't be telling the truth can you, not when there's money on the line.
nice Star Wars analogy. have a like ;)

plucky northerners tick
limited budget tick
never heard of players tick
organised tick
physical tick
bramall lane tough place to go tick
momentum tick
pashun tick

it's like ground hog day innit' :D

i once remember a team called Nottingham Forest with a similar inspirational manager coming up and being expected to be relegated. they won the league.

we heard all of this shit in 'every' viewfrom last season. the post comments were enlightening though 'best team we've played all season'.. i wonder who the first rebel pundit will be to say we won't go down .. i'm saying Lawrenson. as the man in the clown suit says.. 'i'm lovin' it' :D

Everyone will have us down for rock bottom and that's fair enough ( I would too )
I have complete faith in our manager and coaches that we won't lay down and die against anyone but it's going to be tough
If we stick to our principles and play how we can I can see us being in with a shout of staying up but it all depends how quickly we adapt to the challenge
History has shown that we do this really well but usually by learning the hard way
The villa draw last season being a key example
After throwing away two points we looked a more mean defensive unit but sacrificed a bit going forward the new signings excited me but the tactical changes I expected to fit them in haven't happened during pre season so I feel it will be a bit learn as you go and in this division that could see us falling a little but too far behind

All that withstanding a victorious season for me would be finishing the season with the same manager and coaching staff and everyone behind the team ready to take the step back up and go at it again ( aka Burnley ) perhaps we have peaked a bit too early and gone up a bit ahead of schedule
So hopefully the pressure is off and we can all enjoy having a right good go at it and if we do get relagated come back stronger for it

Sorry if that sounds a bit defeatist but I really think that come what may the club as a whole should've stronger than ever

I wouldn’t mind if they applied some sort of consistent logic to their predictions.
Aston Villa finished 23 points behind us last season but they’ve spent a lot of money and signed a lot of players so that will make them good enough to finish 15th.
We finished only 5 points behind Norwich but we’ve spent a lot more money than them and signed a lot more players. So by the Villa logic we should overhaul them but no apparently not.

We’ll see. Can’t wait

Back
Top Bottom