Media predictions for PL table May 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
In case we want to group together all the various different predictions from the various broadcasters and media. This could be a bit depressing, or hilarious, depending on what happens.

Here’s BT’s to start.

92E80808-97EB-49CD-929B-9F8FF5664693.jpeg

In case we want to group together all the various different predictions from the various broadcasters and media. This could be a bit depressing, or hilarious, depending on what happens.

Here’s BT’s to start.

View attachment 58564

They're supposedly taking a statistical / artificial intelligence approach to predicting the outcome but the squads for August aren't even finalised yet, let alone January.
GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage out.

They're supposedly taking a statistical / artificial intelligence approach to predicting the outcome but the squads for August aren't even finalised yet, let alone January.
GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage out.
ha ha. this 'Artificial Intelligence' hype kills me. its probably three lines of code that says A beat B and B beat C therefore A will beat C . as we all know this isn't how football works..

ha ha. this 'Artificial Intelligence' hype kills me. its probably three lines of code that says A beat B and B beat C therefore A will beat C . as we all know this isn't how football works..

This line says it all:- "We then simulate the random events that could occur during a season - such as injuries and player transfers - to give us even more accurate predictions".

How can random events be simulated? How does that make it more accurate?
If those simulated events don't happen then you will get a different outcome.
Run the simulation 100 times and you will get 100 different speculative outcomes but they are only presenting one.

I subscribe to When Saturday comes, a monthly football magazine, and every year they get fans of all the clubs in each league to predict where everyone will finish.

We were 20th. We appear to be predicted as 20th everywhere.

We are hot favourites to go down.

The only people I know who think we will stay up are other blades fans.

Time will tell

Trying to predict the future outcome of an event, based on past evidence, is like driving your car blindfold looking out the back window.

HH

Never ceases to amaze me why some fans get so annoyed at these things.

1. It's perfectly reasonable neutrals would predict as such
2. We've always functioned well as underdogs and possibly helps more with motivation if being widely written off
3. Who gives a fuck what various media outlets think

So.....what they are saying is we CANNOT disappoint anyone because we can’t finish lower than expected. Underdogs. CW might be Manager of the year but if he keeps us up, it will be a miracle. SUFC are bound to finish in the bottom three. CWAK cannot possibly get us above bottom three. You can’t win owt by buying players that have no experience of this league. How familiar does this all sound? Let’s wait and see before anymore insignificant pricks like Adrian wotsisbollocks makes an utter prat of himself.

That "script" is, without doubt, the biggest load of shite I've read in quite some time.

Are the media all Wendyites ? Sounds like it to me, we've heard it all before in fact every summer since Wilder took charge. Let's prove them all wrong again.

No issues with most topping us to finish bottom.

Even some knowledagble football fans/some decent analysts havd said the same. Someone will finish bottom and the argument for an unproven manager and group who has almost to a man never played this level is quite compelling no matter how angry some Blades get over this predictoon.

What I do find amusing is the likes of Nicol and co with their prognosis of our immibent downfall. If the 'experts' said 'I think it's great they are going to have a go and play the way they have...I am not sure it will work but better to go trying and staying true to what got them there'

Imagine if Nicol etc said 'they need to abandon what got them here, change their approach completely and simply defend in numbers hoping for the odd breakaway goal.'

99% of Blades probably don't want to see the negative approach we saw at times under Warnock last time we were up there; particularly away. Sure we will have to be a bit more pragmatic but we have to stick to the ethos and style that got us here. We will get some drubbing I am sure but rather that the the limp way we surrender last time we were up there.

I can understand why we are tipped to finish bottom though as much as msny get workec up over it. Villa are a huge club and spent a load and established PL club (yes it did mot work for Fulham but did for Wolves) Norwich won the league and maybe have more athleticism, pace and youth- goals coming from all over the team. However they have not strengthened much.

There are no clear teams up there that you think could be rock bottom...you start looking at Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Newcastle and all have tons of talent still.

If I was tipping and say it was not SUFC but another club who went upin our type of position with Norwich and Villa who made our signings and played like us I'd fear for them without having watched us regularly. Even then you could see why some may feel it won't work even disregarding lazy comments like Nicols.

However we know what Wilder can do and so we could surprise teams. Whatever happens I am glad we will have a go.

It's really not worth getting angry about comments and predictions. Even taking away those that don't know much about us.. all the bookies have pegged us as bottom and this is not a surprise based on who we are up against etc.

Up to us to prove them all wrong. At the moment though we do not know if we will be able to compete at this level but we also do not know if we can't either.

Back
Top Bottom