McBurnie Signs for Bees

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's a normal contraction of Alexander. Given his Scottish roots, not a big surprise.

I know that but in my experience it's usually people of a certain age or status that use it. I note Alexander Armstrong is being called it all of a sudden.

Based on Oli's style and approach shall we say, I'm just surprised his brother is a Xander.

I know that but in my experience it's usually people of a certain age or status that use it. I note Alexander Armstrong is being called it all of a sudden.

Based on Oli's style and approach shall we say, I'm just surprised his brother is a Xander.

Probably be nowt to do with Oli, and something the Scottish side of the family have used. I knew an Alexander, that got called Xander by his parents and hated it. They were as rough as you like from Shotts. 😁

Is this the first time we've ever had two players with brothers who play league football elsewhere?

REAL anorak that one.
Barnet aren’t a league club.
I’m not sure if either of Maguire’s brothers were playing when Harry played with Squinny.

I thought Zander was the German name - isn't it called a pike-perch?
One of those mysterious fish, that no-one seemed to have the right name for when they were introduced in the 60s and spread like wild fire, they became “fucking Zander”, but now colloquially known in the U.K. as “Zeds” by legions of anglers who now have another species of fish to catch...

I thought Zander was the German name - isn't it called a pike-perch?
The zander is closely related to perch. Zander are often called pike-perch as they resemble the pike with their elongated body and head, and the perch with their spiny dorsal fin. Zander are not, as is commonly believed, a pike and perch hybrid.

The zander is closely related to perch. Zander are often called pike-perch as they resemble the pike with their elongated body and head, and the perch with their spiny dorsal fin. Zander are not, as is commonly believed, a pike and perch hybrid.
I only know what it is because when I first moved to Hamburg, where there are a lot of seafood restaurants, most menus had a pike dish on them and I was sure that couldn't be right. So I looked it up and discovered that they had all translated it incorrectly - which the Germans do with unfailing consistency.
(Surely people thinking it's some kind of frankenstein hybrid isn't "common"!)

I only know what it is because when I first moved to Hamburg, where there are a lot of seafood restaurants, most menus had a pike dish on them and I was sure that couldn't be right. So I looked it up and discovered that they had all translated it incorrectly - which the Germans do with unfailing consistency.
(Surely people thinking it's some kind of frankenstein hybrid isn't "common"!)
I’ve no idea, I just copied it from wiki. Why wouldn’t people think that though when you can get a labradoodle or a cockerpoo?

I’ve no idea, I just copied it from wiki. Why wouldn’t people think that though when you can get a labradoodle or a cockerpoo?
I think it's a bit easier getting dogs to shag - they'll shag anything, boy-dogs, furniture, legs - and they're different breeds rather than different species. If fish species could inter-breed in the wild, there'd be squillions of mongrel fish breeds.

I think it's a bit easier getting dogs to shag - they'll shag anything, boy-dogs, furniture, legs - and they're different breeds rather than different species. If fish species could inter-breed in the wild, there'd be squillions of mongrel fish breeds.
Yes, I understand that, I keep fish. Not everyone does, or even thinks much about stuff like that. You could use genetic engineering to create a hybrid fish species that’s highly suitable for fishing (big, thick as fuck, breeds a lot) and stock lakes with it. If you’d got nowt better to do.
I just don’t find it particularly surprising that if something’s called a pike-perch, some people will think it’s a cross between a pike and a perch.

Yes, I understand that, I keep fish. Not everyone does, or even thinks much about stuff like that. You could use genetic engineering to create a hybrid fish species that’s highly suitable for fishing (big, thick as fuck, breeds a lot) and stock lakes with it. If you’d got nowt better to do.
I just don’t find it particularly surprising that if something’s called a pike-perch, some people will think it’s a cross between a pike and a perch.
The state of education today, I expect you'll find people who think a sheep dog is a cross and produces wool.

Back
Top Bottom