Pre-Season 17/18 Matlock Town v. Sheffield United XI - 19/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brooks will have been played deeper to try and get him used to the defensive responsibility. But to be honest, we probably shouldn't bother. He's not going to be with us a long time, we should let him focus on what he's good at. As I've said, he's a pure attacking midfielder.

Ted Cribley is the guy who had a trial with us isn't he? He's from round here but was playing in the USA at college level.

More to the point....is this going to be Jake Wright snr first defeat?

In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, Alan Knill was in charge of the team at Matlock tonight.

We certainly looked like a team that had not played together before. I am not sure how to judge the performance against a team like Matlock, but I was disappointed at the way individuals played, both players I am used to watching, and those I have seen little of before. The defence was all over the place in the first half with a back 4, and were still dodgy in the second half. Brooks worked hard, but looked out of his comfort zone playing further back, and things didn't come off for him in the second half. Patience needed. But definitely no 10 million pound bids based on this evening. Slater looked good, and Thomas became a threat as the game wore on. And to rub salt into the wound, De Girolamo scored a good goal, and Phil Barnes played well in goal! It's a funny old game.

We certainly looked like a team that had not played together before. I am not sure how to judge the performance against a team like Matlock, but I was disappointed at the way individuals played, both players I am used to watching, and those I have seen little of before. The defence was all over the place in the first half with a back 4, and were still dodgy in the second half. Brooks worked hard, but looked out of his comfort zone playing further back, and things didn't come off for him in the second half. Patience needed. But definitely no 10 million pound bids based on this evening. Slater looked good, and Thomas became a threat as the game wore on. And to rub salt into the wound, De Girolamo scored a good goal, and Phil Barnes played well in goal! It's a funny old game.

Why would Diegos brother scoring a goal have any relevance whatsoever. They are both shit and playing at non league or similar level. Their dad can dine out on that.

Why would Diegos brother scoring a goal have any relevance whatsoever. They are both shit and playing at non league or similar level. Their dad can dine out on that.
It was just a reminder of shattered dreams. Particularly in the context of Brooksmania.

Ryan Bennett i thought,did pretty well,we could have snatched an undeserved draw at the end,keeper made a great save and defenders threw their bodies in the way to block the ball,credit to Matlock,well done

It was just a reminder of shattered dreams. Particularly in the context of Brooksmania.

I don't know about your very good self,but I didn't shed a tear over the shattered dreams of a player I never knew existed until tonight.

Not sure what to make of that 90 minutes, thought Eastwood should have done better with the first upto that point we were pretty much controlling it fair play to Matlock some neat and tidy players who were at it, thought up front we were poor tbh seemed like Duffy and Brooke's wanted to play in the same areas of the pitch and Duffy looked a fair way off being ready to play championship football just yet, having seen Thomas at both Matlock and Chesterfield it seems to me like he is trying to hard to do too much in order to catch the eye that said in 90 minutes not once has he gone past and whipped in a decent ball against a bang average non league fullback

Anyone know where Matt Done has disappeared to? I know he has a tendency to do it in games but he's nowhere to be seen.

Transfer listed with rumours of a move to Rotherham. Presumably not someone Wilder and Knill need to look at.

I'm all live & let live. So, people have their own views and chuck 'em on the Forum. All hail that.
But......
I go to a football match to watch a team with cross swords & a white rose on their badge, which will be referred to as Sheffield United in the following morning's papers, kick a ball around in the hope of scoring more goals than the other team. I enjoy each game in the moment, there & then - League, Cup, Friendlies, First Team, U23, U21, U18, XIs. I love to see Sheffield United players, whatever the competition, whatever the level, banging in goals for fun, putting opponents on their arses, nicking the ball off them, nutmegging them, running them ragged. Not all of them will play at "the higher level" - Everton, Chelsea, Barcelona. I'm OK with that.
So, I will say that I enjoyed every single minute - and there were many of them - watching Diego absolutely boss games & destroy & demoralise the opposition. He was sensational in a large number of the games I saw him in. Mesmerising. A privilege to watch him (and of course all of the other players lucky enough to wear a United shirt). I appreciate that others have a different view. But, that is mine.

PHIL

Worth remembering that we are missing two big influences in defence compared to the 23s last year, Semple and Kelly. and a newish keeper so I expect these games will enable us to find some improvement. Hope so anyway. I know it was a Sheffield 11 but that is how we can use the 23s to get game time in

I don't know about your very good self,but I didn't shed a tear over the shattered dreams of a player I never knew existed until tonight.
It was one of those moments when it was tough to be a Blade. Ex-wonder boy's brother scored against us, current wonder boy was struggling, and 2 young kids fron Matlock standing next to us started pointing at Alan Knill and singing (tunelessly) 'You're getting sacked in the morning'. Absolutely trivial, but after the joys of last season, it reminded me how things can, and often do, go wrong. I'm not looking for sympathy, mind.

I'm all live & let live. So, people have their own views and chuck 'em on the Forum. All hail that.
But......
I go to a football match to watch a team with cross swords & a white rose on their badge, which will be referred to as Sheffield United in the following morning's papers, kick a ball around in the hope of scoring more goals than the other team. I enjoy each game in the moment, there & then - League, Cup, Friendlies, First Team, U23, U21, U18, XIs. I love to see Sheffield United players, whatever the competition, whatever the level, banging in goals for fun, putting opponents on their arses, nicking the ball off them, nutmegging them, running them ragged. Not all of them will play at "the higher level" - Everton, Chelsea, Barcelona. I'm OK with that.
So, I will say that I enjoyed every single minute - and there were many of them - watching Diego absolutely boss games & destroy & demoralise the opposition. He was sensational in a large number of the games I saw him in. Mesmerising. A privilege to watch him (and of course all of the other players lucky enough to wear a United shirt). I appreciate that others have a different view. But, that is mine.

PHIL
Hats off to you for a great post.

Back
Top Bottom