Match Day Thread: The Mighty Blades v Leeds United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not_a_Cheat

Reaction score
So despite our mediocre recent form we yet again have a chance to go top of the league in the early kick off match v Leeds United at BDBL. Likely to be a keenly contested Yorkshire derby in front of the TV cameras yet again...

Bring it on, let's smash these barstewards....

So...

Any team news? :)

Sharp has got to start?

Duffy in too?

A place for Baldock?

Really looking forward to watching this afternoon, and I'll no doubt have already had a few by then. 2 hours ahead here so perfect time. Expecting a very difficult game with a few a goals. Head says 2-2 perhaps. But my prediction is 3-2 Blades win. Enjoy and be loud

UTB

So despite our mediocre recent form we yet again have a chance to go top UTB

This mediocre recent form stat is misleading because apart from Rotherham away we have been playing well.
Stoke at home: drew but deserved to win: Dominated the match but conceded in the last minute.
Wednesday at home: drew but deserved to win. Total domination and missed a penalty.
Rotherham away: drew, probably deserved to lose but would have won if we hadn’t conceded in injury time.

Basically we should now be 6 points better off, sitting pretty on 40 points top of the league.
Wilder has said several times this season every win we’ve had we’ve played well and deserved the points.
There’s not been any matches where we’ve stolen the points and been lucky, apart from Rotherham away but even that game we would have won if we hadn’t contrived to give away a shambolic last minute goal.

Performance wise we are the most consistent team in the league. We always tend to play well creating chances.
The question is whether we put away our chances because in general we don’t take advantage of being in great attacking positions.

Could you explain why we deserved to win?

How can any football team deserve to win a match in which they couldn't score a goal?

Wednesday matched us in defence and attack, that's why the final result was 0-0.

Or what about the time we deserved to win when Scunthorpe walloped us at home 4-0?

How can any football team deserve to win a match in which they couldn't score a goal?

Wednesday matched us in defence and attack, that's why the final result was 0-0.

We had a penalty, 9 times out of 10 a player scores from a penalty.
We were camped in their half, normally a team who dominates so much tends to win.

Put it this way I’d love us to dominate Leeds the same way today and hope we also get a penalty.

Think I know what you mean though, that it can be a sign of defeatism when you blame bad luck.
It’s the old saying “the best teams tend to be lucky. The teams near the bottom tend to be unlucky”
But the best teams create their own luck, have more penalties, score late goals and even win when playing poorly.

Or what about the time we deserved to win when Scunthorpe walloped us at home 4-0?

I went to that game, one of the most amazing matches I’ve ever seen.
We were excellent that night, one of our better performances of that season creating chance after chance.
It was a really open attacking game and their goals were all break away counter attacks.
Even when we were losing 0-3 with 20 minutes left I still thought we could win because we were creating so many chances.
We hit the woodwork several times and had a goal disallowed.

We're shite on the telly now, so we aren't going to have a good December. I'd take a point.

So despite our mediocre recent form we yet again have a chance to go top of the league in the early kick off match v Leeds United at BDBL.

We'd need a couple of goals to overtake Norwich. But still, it shows how inconsistent the other front runners are when we have a chance to go top after picking up two wins in the past seven games.

No they didn't. We had by far the greater possession and the clearer chances. We dominated them. Were you watching a different game?

No they didn't. We had by far the greater possession and the clearer chances. We dominated them. Were you watching a different game?

It's just his lineal thinking.

Any games scoreline in history is the correct scoreline because of what was put in the net and what wasn't.

His post match debates must be superb listening

As always with us scoring early is a must if we want a result.

Foresee a very tight game this lunchtime I think one side will get a narrow win, but I’m not sure which one.

As always with us scoring early is a must if we want a result.

Foresee a very tight game this lunchtime I think one side will get a narrow win, but I’m not sure which one.
Agree, if we don't score at home in the first 30 mins, we tend to struggle.

That said, when we do, we seem to have 20 mins in the second half where we just sit back and let the oppo back into it anyway ha ha.

Just on my way to bdtbl. Sharp is nailed on to score. It’s lining up to be a cracking game. Watch me be wrong and it’ll be a boring 0-0. I’d take a point TBH.
Here’s hoping for a good win!!. COYRAWW

This mediocre recent form stat is misleading because apart from Rotherham away we have been playing well.
Stoke at home: drew but deserved to win: Dominated the match but conceded in the last minute.
Wednesday at home: drew but deserved to win. Total domination and missed a penalty.
Rotherham away: drew, probably deserved to lose but would have won if we hadn’t conceded in injury time.

Basically we should now be 6 points better off, sitting pretty on 40 points top of the league.
Wilder has said several times this season every win we’ve had we’ve played well and deserved the points.
There’s not been any matches where we’ve stolen the points and been lucky, apart from Rotherham away but even that game we would have won if we hadn’t contrived to give away a shambolic last minute goal.

Performance wise we are the most consistent team in the league. We always tend to play well creating chances.
The question is whether we put away our chances because in general we don’t take advantage of being in great attacking positions.

Agree. Going back even further, we bossed Derby off the park for an hour, then seemed to run out of ideas. Similar at Forest as well. This is why I think we ARE a very good team, very good indeed. Better than most and at least equal to the very best. BUT...for all our passing mastery, we just don't take enough of our chances. In fact, we don't really overwork the other team's goalie at all. We might be troubling the other 10 players on the park, but we let the goalie off lightly, it seems to me!

Folks can point to stats about goals scored and how we're up there with the best - but that's missing the point. For all the possession we have and the way we dominate teams, we really ought to be making the goalie feel like he's the target on a shooting range. And we don't. Not often enough.

However, I've a feeling today could be different!;)

We had a penalty, 9 times out of 10 a player scores from a penalty.
We were camped in their half, normally a team who dominates so much tends to win.

Put it this way I’d love us to dominate Leeds the same way today and hope we also get a penalty.

Think I know what you mean though, that it can be a sign of defeatism when you blame bad luck.
It’s the old saying “the best teams tend to be lucky. The teams near the bottom tend to be unlucky”
But the best teams create their own luck, have more penalties, score late goals and even win when playing poorly.

That doesn't mean you get to count it when it isn't scored.

There 'Keeper bested our striker. We didn't 'deserve to win' on the basis of a missed penalty.

We failed to score, they failed to score.

Both teams succeeded in keeping a clean sheet.

It's the purest essence of a draw.

You don't half talk some shite at times.

Oh dear.

Have you been reading the big book of footballing nonsense?

You'd be better off learning the basic rules of football.

If you can't score you deserve fuck all. It's not rocket science.

I normally enjoy your posts Pete, but this one is bollox. Last week the Rovrum manager said that our performance in th first 45 minutes against Wendy was the best hed ever seen in the championship this season. Wendy just got what they came for, a dour draw,..again.

Freeman seems to have really annoyed Chris!

No Leon's a blow. Thought he'd be playing, must be ill or injured.

Lineup seems fine to me, although after midweek I'd have thought Washington instead of McGoldrick and then sub on 60-65 might have been the call

After a decent start we’ve had a very poor spell the last 10. For me Duffy’s not really been in it – unless he improves I think we’d benefit from moving McGoldrick there and bring on Clarke. Henderson’s point-blank save was excellent – deflected too. Very fortunate not to have conceded a penalty from Baldock’s shirt-pull. Pretty even game so far.

Back
Top Bottom