Martin Samuel - again

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Once again, our biased, West Ham supporting idiot pursues his own agenda.

I've copied and pasted the relevant bit so you don't have to scroll through the rest of his crap in todays article:

Wilder talks about legal action but club can't get lucky twice

Sheffield United got lucky in 2008 with the Lord Griffiths ruling. They scored fewer goals away from home, and lost more away games than any other team in the league in 2006-07, and that somehow became the work of Carlos Tevez and West Ham.

Words fail me. He's just repeating his mantra that it was all United's fault and nothing to do with the clearly-illegal fielding of an illegal player, in more than one game.

Lord Griffiths also decided it was Tevez who was responsible for Sheffield United's defeat at home to Wigan on the final day of the season which sent them down, and for the fact they took eight points from a possible 33 after February 10. West Ham ended up paying Sheffield United more than £10million.

See above.

At the time Griffiths' verdict — in effect, that a club was not responsible for its own league position — seemed calamitous because it opened the door to so many legal challenges.

In fact, it barely exists as a precedent these days because football wisely acknowledged its rogue nature and no club has pursued that path since.

Until last week, when Sheffield United were unlucky with a technology call at Aston Villa, and immediately raised the possibility of a return to law.

Yes, it was unfortunate to be on the wrong end of a 9,000-1 chance missed call by Hawk-Eye's goal-line technology. Yes, it was poor that VAR did not have the gumption to call it to referee Michael Oliver.

Yet to speak, as Chris Wilder did, of legal redress if Sheffield United missed out on Europe by the two points lost, ensured wider sympathy swiftly evaporated. It was a mistake, but they happen. The technology failed and humans have been taught not to trust their eyes. Frustrating, yes. But actionable?

As far as I'm aware, Chris Wilder has been very careful not to speak of legal redress, but has intimated that any action could come from players who, having missed out on bonuses based on United's final position, may seek action. Also any team who is relegated by one point would have a very strong case against Villa, VAR tec.

The error happened in the 41st minute. That means Sheffield United had 49 minutes plus two sets of additional time to defeat Aston Villa, and did not. A legal suit would also have to presume that the game would have unfolded identically and the goal would not have influenced Villa's approach: their game plan would not have changed whether losing or drawing.

Again, Samuel falls back on the 'Wigan incident' where he's repeatedly told of United's poor form at the end of the season, yet conveniently chooses to ignore the pivotal reason why United went down - Tevez in 2007 and Villa this season.

Sheffield United would then need to prove this single incident was the reason for their failure to reach Europe rather than — say — Sunday's 3-0 defeat at Newcastle, or home defeats by Leicester, Southampton and Newcastle.

West Ham got lucky in 2007 because they should have been deducted points that would, in all likelihood, have relegated them. Yet Griffiths' judgement was flawed. He died in 2015, aged 91, and we wish Sheffield United well finding another sound legal mind who seconds him.

So now he's calling the judge's sanity into question. Quite disgraceful.

Last edited:

It's bad enough when newspapers show obvious political bias, without sports journalists being able to show one-team bias in the way he and others do.
It's the main reason (that and just making stuff up) that I haven't bought a newspaper in years.
"Here's the news" No it's not. Here's someone's agenda more like.

Excellent, so a Daily Mail article suggests Wilder talked about legal challenges when all he said was that it was a matter for the owners to discuss rather than him, Mail prints article declaring we could seek legal challenge, and while the rest of the media has moved on, now the journalist tub of lard himself has written about it at the same paper.

I would absolutely love to see what happens if the only club raising a legal challenge next month are a freshly-relegated West Ham.

It's bad enough when newspapers show obvious political bias, without sports journalists being able to show one-team bias in the way he and others do.
It's the main reason (that and just making stuff up) that I haven't bought a newspaper in years.
"Here's the news" No it's not. Here's someone's agenda more like.

You don‘t read the Sheffield Stir then?

" Yet Griffiths' judgement was flawed. He died in 2015, aged 91, and we wish Sheffield United well finding another sound legal mind who seconds him. "

Honestly that's horrific. Horrible thing to say. Big fat bastard.

" Yet Griffiths' judgement was flawed. He died in 2015, aged 91, and we wish Sheffield United well finding another sound legal mind who seconds him. "

Honestly that's horrific. Horrible thing to say. Big fat bastard.

Yep. That's really appalling. I can't fathom how he still can't get his head around what happened? So weird.

Once again, our biased, West Ham supporting idiot pursues his own agenda.

I've copied and pasted the relevant bit so you don't have to scroll through the rest of his crap in todays article:

Wilder talks about legal action but club can't get lucky twice

Sheffield United got lucky in 2008 with the Lord Griffiths ruling. They scored fewer goals away from home, and lost more away games than any other team in the league in 2006-07, and that somehow became the work of Carlos Tevez and West Ham.

Words fail me. He's just repeating his mantra that it was all United's fault and nothing to do with the clearly-illegal fielding of an illegal player, in more than one game.

Lord Griffiths also decided it was Tevez who was responsible for Sheffield United's defeat at home to Wigan on the final day of the season which sent them down, and for the fact they took eight points from a possible 33 after February 10. West Ham ended up paying Sheffield United more than £10million.

See above.

At the time Griffiths' verdict — in effect, that a club was not responsible for its own league position — seemed calamitous because it opened the door to so many legal challenges.

In fact, it barely exists as a precedent these days because football wisely acknowledged its rogue nature and no club has pursued that path since.

Until last week, when Sheffield United were unlucky with a technology call at Aston Villa, and immediately raised the possibility of a return to law.

Yes, it was unfortunate to be on the wrong end of a 9,000-1 chance missed call by Hawk-Eye's goal-line technology. Yes, it was poor that VAR did not have the gumption to call it to referee Michael Oliver.

Yet to speak, as Chris Wilder did, of legal redress if Sheffield United missed out on Europe by the two points lost, ensured wider sympathy swiftly evaporated. It was a mistake, but they happen. The technology failed and humans have been taught not to trust their eyes. Frustrating, yes. But actionable?

As far as I'm aware, Chris Wilder has been very careful not to speak of legal redress, but has intimated that any action could come from players who, having missed out on bonuses based on United's final position, may seek action. Also any team who is relegated by one point would have a very strong case against Villa, VAR tec.

The error happened in the 41st minute. That means Sheffield United had 49 minutes plus two sets of additional time to defeat Aston Villa, and did not. A legal suit would also have to presume that the game would have unfolded identically and the goal would not have influenced Villa's approach: their game plan would not have changed whether losing or drawing.

Again, Samuel falls back on the 'Wigan incident' where he's repeatedly told of United's poor form at the end of the season, yet conveniently chooses to ignore the pivotal reason why United went down - Tevez in 2007 and Villa this season.

Sheffield United would then need to prove this single incident was the reason for their failure to reach Europe rather than — say — Sunday's 3-0 defeat at Newcastle, or home defeats by Leicester, Southampton and Newcastle.

West Ham got lucky in 2007 because they should have been deducted points that would, in all likelihood, have relegated them. Yet Griffiths' judgement was flawed. He died in 2015, aged 91, and we wish Sheffield United well finding another sound legal mind who seconds him.

So now he's calling the judge's sanity into question. Quite disgraceful.

What a twat.

You don‘t read the Sheffield Stir then?
Nope.
They came to where I worked some years ago and completely made up a story because they didn't get the answers they wanted!
Also, my ex-missus was hospitalised after nasty accident which made the front page of the evening paper (not Sheffield) and they hounded me to get a story.
They somehow got my details (from a neighbour I think) called me at work pretending to be some one else and when I refused to co-operate told me 'It's up to you. You can give us the story or we'll just make our own up'
And they did.

Nothing about Uzbekistan or Ireland?

Ah he puts 'club' to avoid it, how convenient.

It’s surprising how many West Ham fans have a similar view to Samuel. Sam Delaney who is one of the hosts of the Top Flight Time Machine podcast is always happy to take the opportunity to say how much he despises Sheff United for the same reasons as Samuel. It’s a great podcast and I actually like Delaney until he talks about us. There is no debating that we were shite in the run-in that season but how Samuel conveniently ignores the fact that Tevez scored 7 in the last 10 league games is baffling.

Is the article biased? Maybe.....

"Lord Griffiths also decided it was Tevez who was responsible for Sheffield United's defeat at home to Wigan on the final day of the season which sent them down"
"Yet to speak, as Chris Wilder did, of legal redress if Sheffield United missed out on Europe by the two points lost, ensured wider sympathy swiftly evaporated."

There are plenty of neutrals out there who agree with the above though.

"Lord Griffiths also decided it was Tevez who was responsible for Sheffield United's defeat at home to Wigan on the final day of the season which sent them down"
"Yet to speak, as Chris Wilder did, of legal redress if Sheffield United missed out on Europe by the two points lost, ensured wider sympathy swiftly evaporated."

Since when should we give a **** about what neutrals think?

Reactions: Ryk
He’s a columnist. He writes for reactions, don’t get sucked in.

It’s a strawman argument - misrepresent your opponent’s argument in such a way that it can be easily defeated. Our argument was never that West Ham somehow affected our performances, it was that an illegible player got them more points and the judge agreed.

We’re also not referring to the Newcastle game or any other defeat. We’d only be doing that if we were saying that goal being chalked off affected our mindset on Sunday.

He wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if the game was the last one of the season and we missed out by a point, so why does the fact it was 2 games ago matter?

And he can’t even be bothered to look up the amount of money we got.

Since when should we give a **** about what neutrals think?

The whole Tevez case wouldn’t have even come to light had it not been for the actions of others at other clubs, rather than an approach of taking action in a purely self-interested manner confined to their own club.

Why care about Lord Griffiths's ruling then?

Get back to me when neutral football fans' opinions are worth 25 million GBP to this football club.

Ireland didn't care when they petitioned the France match to be replayed. Ok they fell short of that, but got millions out of FIFA with no reputational damage.

Our claim is much stronger than theirs so as I said in the other thread, who gives a **** about what others think about us about this and why?

So they are happy to deliberately misquote Wilder as well?

So they are happy to deliberately misquote Wilder as well?

Wilder didn't rule out legal action being taken by SUFC. That's a fact.

But then that means that the club's thinking is the same as mine which of course you don't like ;)

Back
Top Bottom