Mark Duffy - Three in Four

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sorry mate, disagree. I get it's his dad (and as a dad I'd run over hot coals to defend my kids) but he's doing him no favours coming out with that shit on social media. Duffy was (is!) a legend at the lane for his time here, and will hopefully always be fondly remembered by the fans, but this sort of shit from his family does him no favours at all.

Yes, we'd all feel like that if it were our children, but keep your counsel! Saying things in private is a very different thing to posting it where all and sundry can see. We (the fans, the ones who supported him and sang his name week in and week out) have no say in his contract/team status, so why the fuck reply on social media about "x player earning £50k a week" and calling our players "shits". If you have an issue with what went off, make that argument in private to the club/manager/board.

In some ways Duffy is unlucky, and I have some sympathy, he was a late bloomer and only really proved himself at the end of his career. He had skills but his fitness was never really there. If he was 21 years old and a bit fitter he'd be looking at a long contract with a couple more zeros on the end of his transfer fee and contract. The reality is that he's a 34 year old who struggles to play 60 minutes of Championship football and who had just signed a new contract.

All things considered, he was never going to get a big money contract. He should have enjoyed the ride and (like many other former players who are still involved with the club) enjoyed the trappings of being an ex-player, adored by the fans (in a coach/ambassador role, a regular pundit, or speaking tours, whatever...). Even if he had none of that, he could at least say he rose through the football ranks and played Premier League football. I bet he wonders what might have been (as do we, unfortunately).

He's been badly advised. If his dad (and other family members) can't see all of this, they should at least stay off social media. They're tarnishing our memory of a fine player. You can see already that fans on here are turning against him, and that's a damn shame, because he was one hell of a player for us.

Arguably THE most important for the previous 3 seasons. The whole system was built around him. He could be a club legend, and ought to be.

But his Dad could ruin that...

This all stacks up really. His wife allegedly used to call the club up and ask why he wasn't playing. His dad seems equally as bad.

Life just doesn't work like that Mr Duffy. Mark was fantastic for us and was a key performer in getting us to where we are now but that rant is out of order. Duffy may not have been on £50k a week but he would for me be a damn site happier being a squad player around this amazing club right now. Things have been said and decisions on both sides have been made, get over it and get on with your lives. As a famous band once said "don't look back in anger"

Teams adapot a more cautious approach during the first half of the season and we have adapted our setup to suit. Currently we would have to really attack teams to get 2-3 goals regularly and they would sit deep and have the quality to hit us on the break. So currently I think Wilder has it spot on.

As it becomes more obvious towards the second half of the season which teams need wins I expect they opposing teams will adopt a more attacking approach and as a result I would expert we will set up more frequently in the formation that win us promotion so that we can exploit the gaps at the back better.

We could possibly see Freeman getting more game time and more goals from our strikers.

It's sad to see his family getting involved and basically destroying any chance of Duffy returning.
His agent should be taking control of this situation though and reigning in his family?

At the moment I can't see him coming back. Which is a shame but no one is bigger than the club and Duffy has no one else to blame but those closest to him.

No way is Jagielka on £50k a week. Absolute clown.

I'd like to think not too.

But even if he was, £50,000 a week with no transfer fee is £2.6m for the year.

Show me a better player, with the experience jagielka has, that is happy to be a backup player and only costs £2.6m all in.

So even if Duffy senior is correct. Paying jags 50k p/w is still better value for the club than offering 34 year old mark Duffy (who still had a year left) a new, improved contract.

I think, regardless of what everybody is on, currently money wise, Duffy would not get into the team as we are not playing a system that would either suit him or play to his strengths, Looking at how things are progressing and how the Midfield trio grow in confidence, the out put gets better and better.

Lunny is never going to glide past three defenders, but the passing and interplay recently as help with chances, McGoldrick as been the key to unlocking defences, providing key moments in transitions in an offensive movement.

what we need over the next few games is that settled trio, to keep progressing and using there great movement and passing to create the chances and stick a few away as well, McGoldrick and Lys upfront the team seems a little bit better balanced and able to make easier transitions when moving from defence to offense and vice versa.

You see where he's coming from though.

I do hope Jags isn't on 50k a week...... and I hope McBurnie is nowhere near.
[/QUOT
You see where he's coming from though.

I do hope Jags isn't on 50k a week...... and I hope McBurnie is nowhere near.

Jags is on 10-20k per week
Mcburine is on 30-40k per week

So the 50k per week is for the pair

There have been a couple of games where we could have maybe used Duffy in the later stages. Southampton and Leicester at home come to mind. We were on top with possession in their half. That was Duffys strength, that little pass, jink inside etc that opened up a tight defence. But the games where we've had to defend and break quickly? No chance, he just isn't athletic enough.

He didn't come here for the money...... He's already a multi million from is tine with everton hence this was one of the read ons Chris signed. He knew he was only every going to be backup. But felt he had something to offer back to united. I'm sure if you ask any of the back 3 they will tell you the same that he's helped them maje the big step up from champ to the premier league

Phil, Phil, Phil, pipe down mate. You are just looking like a regular bitter scouser.

Your son will always be a legend for what he brought to our club, however if you have a problem with how the club is run and the wage structure, arrange a meeting and discuss it in private, assuming you are Mark's representitive. Don't put rumours/half truths on social media. If there was any chance of the door opening up for a return you are doing your upmost to slam it shut. Have a bit of pride

Duffy should have taken a leaf out of Lundstrums book. Rather than moan and whittle, he came back over the summer got his head down and worked as hard as he possibly could to get a chance in the big time. When Wilder told Duffy he wouldnt be playing much, instead of kicking off, he could have bust a gut to prove him wrong. Not sure how Duffys father can have a problem with the club.

I'd like to think not too.

But even if he was, £50,000 a week with no transfer fee is £2.6m for the year.

Show me a better player, with the experience jagielka has, that is happy to be a backup player and only costs £2.6m all in.

So even if Duffy senior is correct. Paying jags 50k p/w is still better value for the club than offering 34 year old mark Duffy (who still had a year left) a new, improved contract.

Not so sure about that. Wouldn't surprise me at all considering the contract length.

When you put it like that, I suppose it makes slightly more sense. Still, I don’t think he’ll be on that much. Couldn’t see Wilder putting a 37 year-old back-up on a much higher wage than the rest of the squad. Could be wrong though.

The more I see about Duffy and the whole carry on I definitely think he was sat down prior to the start of the season and told that he'd have limited game time this year. There is no other reason that he'd have behaved like he did. As most have said he wouldn't have played as much this season as the 'flat 3' means his role is largely redundant.

The way he reacted is childish and he's in danger of tarnishing a great memory for himself and the club. If he wants to move elsewhere then by all means we should help to pull him out of Stoke (Ben Woodburn style) and get him on loan somewhere that he'll be appreciated and play, however he needs to handle himself correctly and have a word with his nearest and dearest to stop them going on social media with a few drink inside them.

He came on for 10 minutes against West Brom and looked decent, but he's put some weight on.

Charlie Austin had to change his shirt because he got a cut and he had a bit of flab on him too.

Shows how much work our players do if you look visibly fatter after 3 months away.

He'll not be coming back.
It was a good little cameo. He created a chance for them that was as good as they’d had in that game, real positive bit of play. It reminded me what he’s capable of. It pisses me off how it’s turned out.

Sorry mate, disagree. I get it's his dad (and as a dad I'd run over hot coals to defend my kids) but he's doing him no favours coming out with that shit on social media. Duffy was (is!) a legend at the lane for his time here, and will hopefully always be fondly remembered by the fans, but this sort of shit from his family does him no favours at all.

Yes, we'd all feel like that if it were our children, but keep your counsel! Saying things in private is a very different thing to posting it where all and sundry can see. We (the fans, the ones who supported him and sang his name week in and week out) have no say in his contract/team status, so why the fuck reply on social media about "x player earning £50k a week" and calling our players "shits". If you have an issue with what went off, make that argument in private to the club/manager/board.

In some ways Duffy is unlucky, and I have some sympathy, he was a late bloomer and only really proved himself at the end of his career. He had skills but his fitness was never really there. If he was 21 years old and a bit fitter he'd be looking at a long contract with a couple more zeros on the end of his transfer fee and contract. The reality is that he's a 34 year old who struggles to play 60 minutes of Championship football and who had just signed a new contract.

All things considered, he was never going to get a big money contract. He should have enjoyed the ride and (like many other former players who are still involved with the club) enjoyed the trappings of being an ex-player, adored by the fans (in a coach/ambassador role, a regular pundit, or speaking tours, whatever...). Even if he had none of that, he could at least say he rose through the football ranks and played Premier League football. I bet he wonders what might have been (as do we, unfortunately).

He's been badly advised. If his dad (and other family members) can't see all of this, they should at least stay off social media. They're tarnishing our memory of a fine player. You can see already that fans on here are turning against him, and that's a damn shame, because he was one hell of a player for us.

Don't disagree at all. I just sympathise with his dad's comments when I think about players who might do fuck all for us being on far more lucrative contracts than Duffy ever was.

But the general level of entitlement is very unsavoury. Anyone would think he didn't get his promotion bonus. And wage rise.

The way that stupid gobshite wife of his conducts herself is very embarrassing. Like a paranoid and entitled mother who takes deep offence when her son doesn't play every minute for his Sunday team. I don't know what planet she's on. It reflects badly on Duffy himself, there's no getting away from it. Obviously she expected to be far richer than this when marrying a lower league footballer. She's harmed his cause, and his dad seems keen to as well.

I find all this very sad, but I don't really blame Mark & will not allow it to taint his time with us, he was absolutely the key to the last three years & how we have risen. Not exactly a shock that his dad & wife are gobbing off bearing in mind where they are from, & I even understand it a little bit. Surely most of us have mums & dads who would defend us to the hilt in public, often to our own embarrassment, it is what family does. I actually think he would have had some game time had he stayed, sure not as much as he would want, but I would rather see him in the squad over Besic, Morrison, etc.
I also understand the ones who take CW's side, but not by how they justify it by saying he is a busted flush, can't play 60 minutes etc. It is possible to support someone without slagging off the other party.
Sadly it looks like it will end in regret from everyone involved in this, but I refuse to let it influence my memories of what he did for us in his glory years.

Back
Top Bottom