Lunstrum - the problem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GymClassHero

Reaction score
Mark Duffy, seemingly popular player, has a standoff with Wilder and is subsequently shipped out, never to put the red and white stripes on again. Players probably are sad to see him go, but the players know the way Wilder does things so accept it and move on, continue to have a great season. A key point is that Duffy didn't want to leave however.

John Lundstrum, essentially does the same thing as Duffy. Won't sign a new contract yet inexplicably still gets a place in the team ahead of other hard working and loyal players. Let's remember how bang average he was in his first season (and in my opinion still is).

Surely the players must look at A) Lundstrum with distain for wanting out. Yes fair enough he is within his rights to see out his contract but leading on to point B) why is he still playing?

By no means am I saying this is the only reason but come on this must be a problem. Other guys have pointed out in another thread that Sharp and Wilder have locked horns. Maybe Billy is pissed off and quite rightly so, that a contract rebel with no future continues to get a place in the team while he can't even get into he squad.

This situation stinks and whilst I back Wilder, I am concerned he has lost the dressing room and this is one of the reasons why.

Money.

The route cause of many an evil !!!

Strong suspicion that money, and a significant disparity in what our players are paid, is creating more than a hint of discontent atm.

I could of course be completely wide of the mark and this is only a hunch !!!!

UTB

I think it has caused a bit of unrest in the squad. At the end of the day he doesn't want to be here.

Everyone else signed a new deal.

Mark Duffy, seemingly popular player, has a standoff with Wilder and is subsequently shipped out, never to put the red and white stripes on again. Players probably are sad to see him go, but the players know the way Wilder does things so accept it and move on, continue to have a great season. A key point is that Duffy didn't want to leave however.

John Lundstrum, essentially does the same thing as Duffy. Won't sign a new contract yet inexplicably still gets a place in the team ahead of other hard working and loyal players. Let's remember how bang average he was in his first season (and in my opinion still is).

Surely the players must look at A) Lundstrum with distain for wanting out. Yes fair enough he is within his rights to see out his contract but leading on to point B) why is he still playing?

By no means am I saying this is the only reason but come on this must be a problem. Other guys have pointed out in another thread that Sharp and Wilder have locked horns. Maybe Billy is pissed off and quite rightly so, that a contract rebel with no future continues to get a place in the team while he can't even get into he squad.

This situation stinks and whilst I back Wilder, I am concerned he has lost the dressing room and this is one of the reasons why.
Incredible this! Got no idea or insight at all. Most of the footballers i've known over the years aren't arsed if a player wants to leave / wants more money, as long as he's not a bad egg they'll not give a shit. And evidently he isnt. Again the ones i've known are usually happy when a team mate of theirs gets a big move /contract.

Who are the 'other hard working and loyal players' he is ahead of in the team??? The only other player who plays in his position is Berge.

Im not a particular fan of his, but the crap thrown his way is ridiculous.

To answer your question as to why he's still playing, its because he's offering something and is clearly considered to be useful to the squad. He played really well the other night when he came on, drove the team forward.

Get your head out of your arse

Incredible this! Got no idea or insight at all. Most of the footballers i've known over the years aren't arsed if a player wants to leave / wants more money, as long as he's not a bad egg they'll not give a shit. And evidently he isnt. Again the ones i've known are usually happy when a team mate of theirs gets a big move /contract.

Who are the 'other hard working and loyal players' he is ahead of in the team??? The only other player who plays in his position is Berge.

Im not a particular fan of his, but the crap thrown his way is ridiculous.

To answer your question as to why he's still playing, its because he's offering something and is clearly considered to be useful to the squad. He played really well the other night when he came on, drove the team forward.

Get your head out of your arse
Where did i say players were ahead of him is his position? I stated that he's getting a place in the SQUAD (key word there) whilst players like Billy aren't. Whats the point in that when in the near future we won't be able to call upon his services?

As for the head our of arse comment, grow up 😂 you really do look silly! Fancy me stating my blades opinion on a blades discussion forum. Whatever next.

Because he IS LEAVING,thats essentially what refusing to sign a new contact means.
And the reason he is leaving is ? Does he want to leave ? If you could get a job on a higher wage than now and you existing employer could match it, what would you do ?

Where did i say players were ahead of him is his position? I stated that he's getting a place in the SQUAD (key word there) whilst players like Billy aren't. Whats the point in that when in the near future we won't be able to call upon his services?

As for the head our of arse comment, grow up 😂 you really do look silly! Fancy me stating my blades opinion on a blades discussion forum. Whatever next.

You've made some mad suggestions though:
  • The players must be annoyed with Lundstram for wanting out.
  • The players must be annoyed by the fact Lundstram is still playing.
  • Maybe in particular Billy Sharp is annoyed.
  • Wilder has possibly lost the dressing room and this is one reason why.
There is literally zero evidence for any of this, besides the fact that we've been playing a bit shit lately. You can opine all you want, it is a forum, but when you're making such massive jumps be prepared to face a bit of questioning.

was on footy manager 2021 and most of our squad (except newer additions) are on 25k per week. Is he really suggesting he is worth more than that

Really wanting to play for the team should only be a small factor in actually getting picked.

Lunstram is only playing because we have no one else better you numpty, back under your stone or off to S6 you trot

He was one of our best players last season. He’s had some really poor games this season but he’s hardly alone that and has still looked like one of our most dangerous attacking options.

I know we’re all upset that he’d rather earn more money elsewhere than play for the club we love. But it’s really quite silly and precious to project that onto the other players and assume it’s one of the reasons we’re struggling. There’s no evidence for it. None. They’re pros and will have seen similar things happen elsewhere. It’s part of the game.

Glad to see so many Blades shooting this down.

"yet inexplicably still gets a place in the team ahead of other hard working and loyal players" - that's where you talked about him being ahead of people. Why would you put Billy on the bench instead of JL?? They cover totally different positions! So, who are the other players that he is playing ahead of??

Fair enough re the other bit, you've got a point there.

The Duffy saga is a very different situation to Lunny's - he peed off Wilder - Lunny just wants to move on for whatever reason.
The reason he is in the team (and this is where we will differ) is that Lunny has not (as far as we know) upset Wilder, Lunny in Wilders opinion (the only one that counts) is that he a "professional" on and off the pitch, he also thinks (and i agree) that he is one of our most effective players (although i would agree not always - but that is the case for every player), I like him and i hoped he would sign another contract and stay at BDBL.

Because he IS LEAVING,thats essentially what refusing to sign a new contact means.
Dean Henderson last year said he wanted to go back to man utd and become their number 1 keeper. He didnt want to stay at utd. whats the difference???????

Your theories really aren't supported by any evidence whatsoever.

1. Wilder deemed Duffy to be not good enough to justify his request for increased wages, and also clearly didn't think he was quite good enough to be a useful squad member. It's the same with Lundstram. WIlder thinks he isn't good enough for the increased money, but is good enough to be a squad member. There's nothing inconsistent there. You might disagree about Wilder's judgement on their abilities, but that's a different point.

2. Have you got any evidence at all to show that the players "look at Lundstram with distain"? The pictures I've seen from training (which could be a biased selected sample, of course) suggest that Lundtram is very much welcomed into the gang. Have you seen something different, or are you just speculating?

3. Wilder has always said that he picks his best XI (or XVIII or whatever). He doesn't pick players because he likes them or drop them because they speak out. He's not doing anything different here from what he's done in the rest of his career.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of Lundstram, but I think he's done ok (and just ok) since his contract stalling. We looked a lot better with him on the pitch on Saturday.

The current Lundstram situation represents an interesting juxtaposition for Blades fans.

For years, we've become used to being told, in circumstances where any club in a higher division came looking to cherry-pick our best players, that there was no value for the club in keeping hold of a player who had 'had his head turned' and saw his future elsewhere.

Plenty of us said that the club should show some backbone and keep hold of our best players who were, after all, under contract - like Reading did with Swift this Summer. Of course, the club line has always been that you can't keep hold of players in such circumstances, hence many talented players were rushed out of the door at the first sign of some cash.

It's almost a sick joke on Blades fans, therefore, that the first time that we we decide to recognise the primacy of contract, and that whilst ever a player is under contract, he may be expected to give his best to the club, was not for Kyle Walker, or Kyle Naughton, or Harry Maguire, or David Brooks but for John Lundstram...

Back
Top Bottom