Lundstram contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whilst all had mediocre to bad performances Lundstram to me seemed to be strangely inept When obvious forward movement was possible he changed direction thus stifling any attacking move, so out of character for him. After this happened on two or three occasions it made me wonder whether there was an intentioned showing to the management regarding the stuttering with the contract negotiations.
This is a personal yet honest appraisal as seen in match time of part of last nights game.

But then twice within the space of about 2 minutes he played a great cross-field ball with his left foot which enabled us to start an attacking move down the left hand side.

The problem we have is that neither Berge nor Lunny is a natural right of midfield. We could really use a lot more going forward.

Where would you suggest Lunny’s natural position is?

Lundstram to Leicester 😉

Was having a little chat with Rodgers before he came on yesterday.

I'm probably putting 2 + 3 and getting 50 😆

But then twice within the space of about 2 minutes he played a great cross-field ball with his left foot which enabled us to start an attacking move down the left hand side.
I wouldn't disagree with what you say, as I said his performance, to me, was so out of kilter I couldn't fathom it out. My prognosis was arrived at after thinking through what I know of him, from watching him play and what I read from various outlets.
No agenda against the man, in fact he is one of the big plus marks for this season. Hopefully he stays and performs to the standard he has set and maybe kick on a little further.

I wouldn't disagree with what you say, as I said his performance, to me, was so out of kilter I couldn't fathom it out. My prognosis was arrived at after thinking through what I know of him, from watching him play and what I read from various outlets.
No agenda against the man, in fact he is one of the big plus marks for this season. Hopefully he stays and performs to the standard he has set and maybe kick on a little further.

Everyone’s performance was out of kilter yesterday, it was the worst I’ve seen us play for a while. I’m not sure why Lundstram needs to be picked out. He was certainly more involved than Fleck was yesterday but then we do have to remember that both of them were coming back from injuries.

Everyone’s performance was out of kilter yesterday, it was the worst I’ve seen us play for a while. I’m not sure why Lundstram needs to be picked out. He was certainly more involved than Fleck was yesterday but then we do have to remember that both of them were coming back from injuries.
I am not picking Lundstram out in particular, what I did was offer my explanation of why he played as he did on the forum entitled Lundstram Contract,
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to sit well with you, that's life LJ. Why not engage the posters who are calling for Lundstrams head, probably they will give you better sport.

Where would you suggest Lunny’s natural position is?

He joined us as a deep-lying playmaker. That seems to be where he naturally gravitates if he's not following instructions.

He joined us as a deep-lying playmaker. That seems to be where he naturally gravitates if he's not following instructions.

The way he attacks the box when we’re going forward tells me he isn’t a deep lying play maker. The only time he’s played that position for us was when he struggled most.

I am not picking Lundstram out in particular, what I did was offer my explanation of why he played as he did on the forum entitled Lundstram Contract,
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to sit well with you, that's life LJ. Why not engage the posters who are calling for Lundstrams head, probably they will give you better sport.

Disagreements are part and parcel of a forum like this 👍

I think it is always difficult for a player coming on even if it is at half time. Lunny wasn't worse than those who went before him or others in the team But and its a big but Has he shown that he can take us forward? I would say no! Not a top 10 Premiership player or backup If that is where we want to be then we need to look for alternatives No need to panic as if wwe get nothing for him in a year its not alot less than most thought he was worth at the beginning of the season

It's sounding like we're moving for John Swift. I think we'll move Lundstram on.

I thought he was finished at the end of last season but he has been different class this. Most improved player by a mile. He should be gutted to not get another contract after his performances this year.

3 months is a year/season? Got far too ahead of himself. Owes us nothing if he moves on, for the fee he cost. But he’s not a vital member of the team we can’t do without. If he re-signs, good. If he chases the money, I’ve got full trust in CWAK to replace him. They took him from mid table division 3. Maybe a bit of gratitude might not go amiss?

Last night was an unacceptable level of trying.
I do not accept nor understand why anybody (and it's not just robbie) feels that any of our current players gives less than 100%, why would they do that? Why would they jeopardise earning more money (ok little bit of speculation there but it's likely)? Jeopardise success? Why?
And also the only one to even have a shot (as far as I can remember) when it was obvious Leicester were packing the box to prevent us getting a sight on goal.

Who in this league pays money for him?

I think a midtable club would take him as a squad filler & chuck us about £4m(ish). If we get that sort of offer we should let him go.

There's a definitely a player in there, he has some really strong attributes (athletic, competitive, right foot, left foot, loves a challenge) but he doesn't seem to be able to put them all together in one performance consistently enough.

I think a midtable club would take him as a squad filler & chuck us about £4m(ish). If we get that sort of offer we should let him go.

There's a definitely a player in there, he has some really strong attributes (athletic, competitive, right foot, left foot, loves a challenge) but he doesn't seem to be able to put them all together in one performance consistently enough.

Probably a Newcastle signing.

If he doesn't sign a new contract pre next season kick off, I would like to see him gone. Try and get as much as we can for him at that point. Maybe a newly promoted side might take him on as a big signing for them. He's a decent enough player but if he isnt prepared to sign on again soon, then I don't want him around. Same for any player really.

Fergie at Man Utd used to freeze players out if they were in the last year of their contracts to try and move them on for a few before Bosman kicked in. Hopefully Bash and Egan (latter still got 2 years left) will sign up again soon.

Given how long this has dragged on for, I assume the two parties have reached an impasse. It therefore makes sense to move him on over summer, recruit a replacement and given them the max time to settle-in.

I've never been the biggest fan of Lundstram at RCM (his natural position being more of a DCM) but I was hugely impressed by how he improved his strength and fitness last summer to equip him better for the position, which really showed during the early part of the season. If he does move on, I'm sure it would be with everyone's best wishes. Like others though, I'm not sure which clubs would offer him significantly more than Utd are doing - possibly someone like Burnley,

He’ll not be the first player under CWAK to think they’re better than they actually are? It’s the system that makes these players what they are. Could Lunny play instead of Norwood? No. Berge is earmarked for that role, possibly from the start of next season. He owes everything to CWA. Without them, he’d still more than likely be in division 3 still. If he can get more money, good luck to him. But he needs to speak to Duffy and ask him how it worked out for him and his agent by playing poker with tufty. 3 months of decent form in the premier league does not constitute being paid a premier league average wage of £55,000 a week.

I do not accept nor understand why anybody (and it's not just robbie) feels that any of our current players gives less than 100%, why would they do that? Why would they jeopardise earning more money (ok little bit of speculation there but it's likely)? Jeopardise success? Why?

And also the only one to even have a shot (as far as I can remember) when it was obvious Leicester were packing the box to prevent us getting a sight on goal.

So no one you've ever worked with has ever given less than 100% in any given day?

Given how long this has dragged on for, I assume the two parties have reached an impasse. It therefore makes sense to move him on over summer, recruit a replacement and given them the max time to settle-in.

I've never been the biggest fan of Lundstram at RCM (his natural position being more of a DCM) but I was hugely impressed by how he improved his strength and fitness last summer to equip him better for the position, which really showed during the early part of the season. If he does move on, I'm sure it would be with everyone's best wishes. Like others though, I'm not sure which clubs would offer him significantly more than Utd are doing - possibly someone like Burnley,

I agree I think it’s dragged on too long with Lundstram. It’s been rumbling on since January and we are now in July. If he has the same agent as Duffy then we know how this will end.

Wilder is probably frustrated with Egan and Bash as well but I think they will both sign when the seasons over. They both seem very keen on staying here based on their interviews this season.

He’ll not be the first player under CWAK to think they’re better than they actually are? It’s the system that makes these players what they are. Could Lunny play instead of Norwood? No. Berge is earmarked for that role, possibly from the start of next season. He owes everything to CWA. Without them, he’d still more than likely be in division 3 still. If he can get more money, good luck to him. But he needs to speak to Duffy and ask him how it worked out for him and his agent by playing poker with tufty. 3 months of decent form in the premier league does not constitute being paid a premier league average wage of £55,000 a week.

Completely agree with everything you've said there.

Any of our players demanding the "average Premier league salary" should be shown the door in my opinion.

The average is completely skewed due to the league having some of the richest clubs in the world who can easily afford to pay players £250,000+ a week!

I'd love to know what the average PL wage is after discounting all the players at Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

You could have 19 players on £20,000pw and then Man U give Alexis Sanchez a 400k pw deal which brings the average wage up to £39,000pw, which is pretty much double what 19/20 of the players are on!

Shame if Lunny goes, in my opinion, he has been the surprise package this season, two footed player, scored goals, tough and no nonsense , fantastic pass to put Mousse through against Everton, fantastic cross in for Billy's missile header against Norwich.

What we should do with him...

Double-Your-Money-Poster-Page-Hughie-Green.jpg

Things to remember......if we extend Lundstram's contract by a further year we might risk not getting a fee for him should he leave on a free.

If anyone is p[laying hardball I'd prefer to get a fee now, at least the window is here to try and find a replacement. What I would be mindful of is that our wage bill is reputedly amongst the lowest in the Prem. I know that there are pressing areas that are being discussed - improve the ground, improve our training facilities (my preferred favourite), and the wage bill. All the while we pay our current rate of pay we'll be open to predatory attacks for players that are essential to us, having said that I suppose having to fend off incoming bids is a constant threat so perhaps we just deal with it as and when. But I'd certainly look to improve our training facilities, if you're unsure take a look at Swansea's new facilities (there's a thread somewhere), it's future proofed and would give us a facility to offer players the best treatments and fitness regimes possible if we followed Swansea's lead.

Lunny has been integral to where we end up this season. A real revelation. Key goals were essential for three points v Palace, Burnley and Bournemouth. Key contribution v Norwich to bag another three points. (Four assists in total according to my fantasy footy stats - top equal with Baldock, Stevens and Mousset). Bear in mind we set up to get Baldock and Stevens in position to assist as often as possible and Moose got three assists in one game. His impact has been beyond anything we thought possible.

I’d like to keep him. I don’t think that kind of contribution is easy to replace. He showed a real desire to develop and be better in terms of improving his conditioning and he put in some real lung busting shifts.

However, if he’s not going to sign he needs to be sold as he’ll be at the peak sale price and we will need every penny to replace him. I’ve seen some posts assuming he’s on about five grand a week and is looking for more like sixty. I’m sure he’s on more than that and if he wanted to stay he would know that kind of top end expectation is wildly unrealistic.

He’s not the messiah. He might be a naughty boy. We’ll see I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom