Lundstram contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Given how quickly we’ve been willing to let Robinson go out on loan and the potential new midfielders were looking to add. I think Lunny might want to have another think about not signing his offered contract - wilder doesn’t seem the type to hang around....
Don't think that his agent won't be talking numbers with other potential employers and the he won't know what his likely options will be in the summer.

He won't just wait til summer to see what's available.

If we don't get somewhere very near what he wants then he will be off.

The longer we stay in the Premier League the bigger issue this will become.

Given how quickly we’ve been willing to let Robinson go out on loan and the potential new midfielders were looking to add. I think Lunny might want to have another think about not signing his offered contract - wilder doesn’t seem the type to hang around....
He's quickly losing his strong negotiating position. I'd give him one last chance to sign it then offer a reduced one.

It would be depressing if this whole berge saga was a trick to get Lundstram to sign his contract.

He's quickly losing his strong negotiating position. I'd give him one last chance to sign it then offer a reduced one.

It would be depressing if this whole berge saga was a trick to get Lundstram to sign his contract.
As I said above, he is likely to know his possible summer options already and the ball is in our court.

Do we want to keep him or don't we?

Given that Blades have been touting him as a possible England player he's hardly going to be short of options in the summer or desperate to sign whatever is put in front of him now if it doesn't meet his expectations.

As I said above, he is likely to know his possible summer options already and the ball is in our court.

Given that Blades have been touting him as a possible England player he's hardly going to be short of options in the summer or desperate to sign whatever is put in front of him now if it doesn't meet his expectations.

His form has been suggesting England standard for 2 months only.
What about the other 18 months he’s been here where he’s looked upper league 1/ lower Championship standard.

I’m sure he’ll have other options for more money.....but like Jordan Slew he could become very rich at the expense of a failed career in the lower division.
I’m still not sure how good Lunny can be....think we should offer a low basic with big incentives/ bonuses if he becomes a regular good performer in the PL.

Think we would prefer to keep him....but he’s still an unknown quantity, youngish with big potential to be an athletic box to box all rounder.
He‘s no where near the finished article yet....so it’s unreasonable to expect a high salary.

His form has been suggesting England standard for 2 months only.
What about the other 18 months he’s been here where he’s looked upper league 1/ lower Championship standard.

I’m sure he’ll have other options for more money.....but like Jordan Slew he could become very rich at the expense of a failed career in the lower division.
I’m still not sure how good Lunny can be....think we should offer a low basic with big incentives/ bonuses if he becomes a regular good performer in the PL.

Think we would prefer to keep him....but he’s still an unknown quantity, youngish with big potential to be an athletic box to box all rounder.
He‘s no where near the finished article yet....so it’s unreasonable to expect a high salary.
His agent will have similar quality players at other Premier League clubs, and he will know what they are earning.

He will also have contacts at other Premier League clubs that will tell him whether or not they would be interested in John, and at what price.

He's a young lad that has shown good potential, just because our fans think that he has gone off the boil (which I agree that he has btw, but he's not alone in that respect) his marketability will not have suffered.

The ball is well and truly in our court on this one.

How much do CW/AK value him at.

If they fall short he will be down the road with their blessing but make no mistake, the player is under no pressure to sign on our terms and that will go.for every player due a new contract.

The initial hype by some has reduced due to recent performances. We shouldn't offer him anything based on him being a player likely to play for england. Nobody else will either.

His agent will have similar quality players at other Premier League clubs, and he will know what they are earning.

He will also have contacts at other Premier League clubs that will tell him whether or not they would be interested in John, and at what price.

He's a young lad that has shown good potential, just because our fans think that he has gone off the boil (which I agree that he has btw, but he's not alone in that respect) his marketability will not have suffered.

The ball is well and truly in our court on this one.

How much do CW/AK value him at.

If they fall short he will be down the road with their blessing but make no mistake, the player is under no pressure to sign on our terms and that will go.for every player due a new contract.

Think you have it wrong about him “going off the boil”.
If you look at Lunny’s career his going “off the boil“ has been his normal standard....his best qualities has been attitude, workrate and allround game.
As already mentioned Lunny is a strange one.....I still don’t know if his standard is nearer league 1 or Premier League.
80% of his spell at SU he‘s been league 1 standard....then he’s had a recent spell...20% of his time when he’s started looking PL standard.

Also our players are in an unusual situation. The jury is still out regards their “real“ standard.
Our fans say Fleck is worth 30 million but he can’t even get a game in to a poor Scotland team.
The Scotland manager obviously isn’t that impressed with him in training.
The same with Egan, who was behind Championship level Keogh (until his injury) in the Rep of Ireland side.

I’m really looking forward to see how our players cope at another club playing in a different system in a different style.
However cant see any PL club making a big bid for any of our players. I still really believe that our players are looking better than their normal level because Wilder is has developed tactics and style to play to their strengths.

Think Wilder knows he’s getting the absolute max from most players.....so he’s looking to gradually upgrade every player.....the value seems to be with foreign players.

If you look at Lunny’s career his going “off the boil“ has been his normal standard....his best qualities has been attitude, workrate and allround game.
As already mentioned Lunny is a strange one.....I still don’t know if his standard is nearer league 1 or Premier League.
80% of his spell at SU he‘s been league 1 standard....then he’s had a recent spell...20% of his time when he’s started looking PL standard.

Also our players are in an unusual situation. The jury is still out regards their “real“ standard.
Our fans say Fleck is worth 30 million but he can’t even get a game in to a poor Scotland team.
The same with Egan, who was behind Championship level Keogh (until his injury) in the Rep of Ireland side.

I’m really looking forward to see how our players cope at another club playing in a different system in a different style.
However cant see any PL club making a big bid for any of our players. I still really believe that our players are looking better than their normal level because Wilder is has developed tactics and style to play to their strengths.

Think Wilder knows he’s getting the absolute max from most players.....so he’s looking to gradually upgrade every player.....the value seems to be with foreign players.
Your jury might be out but professional scouts and heads of recruitment have to make judgements and it may be that their judgements aren’t the same as ours. If another club thinks he’s a good player, based on the opinion of their scouts and manager, they’ll try to sign him.
We won’t know unless he signs a new contract or leaves, how ever much we postulate what he should be doing or try to second guess other clubs. I don’t rate Kyle Walker Peters but Southampton and Palace do.

He'll go to Villa or Fulham on a free on 55k a week with a huge signing on bonus in the summer, but Wilder will already have a decent replacement lined up.

Pretty poor that he hasn't signed on here yet.

And I think Lundstram and his agent know his prospects and value in the market better than you.

And I think Lundstram and his agent know his prospects and value in the market better than you.

but neither Lunny or his agent will know better than Wilder or other coaches and managers.
(read it wrong....thought you meant ability.....yes regards value/ salary demands his agent will know the going rate for a regular first teamer).

The Lunny situation is a brilliant example of the difficulties in assessing a fair valuation/ fair salary.
No doubt Lunny himself (and his agent) will genuinely think he’s potential international standard....it’s in their interest to increase their investment/ income.

But as I say Lunny for most of his career has been good league 1 standard so arguably deserves a good league 1 contract. However he’s been a revelation and produced the goods for 2 months....showing himself to be PL standard....but since Liverpool away his form has dropped and he’s looking a weak area of the team.

Should players be given long term lucrative contracts based on 2 months brilliant form?
As I said the jury is still out on Lunny....don’t think anyone knows what his “real” standard is yet.
You can imagine us offering him £40K... he continues to go off the boil and hardly ever plays becoming a Kieron Freeman type forgotten man reserve player.
Then many of our fans would be saying how nonsensical it was to offer someone a massive pay rise on the back off 2 months impressive form.

To be honest it all depends on Wilders future plans.....think he’d prefer to keep Lunny....but not sure if he has a future here being a permanent 1st teamer.
So suspect he’ll be offered squad player wages with incentive bonuses built in (Lunny has shown he does have the potential to do well in the PL).
No doubt Wilder will be planning ahead and is already preparing for the possibility that Lunny might leave so he’s looking at replacements.

Ive no issue what’s so ever with Lunny....he seems to have a brilliant attitude and workrate....so even if he leaves I wish him well.

Last edited:

Fleck is a different story to Lunny. Hes consistently been different gravy throughout his time here, not just had a purple patch a la Mr Lundstram.

I'd get it signed, Lunny. Chris has shown he won't hang about, and the Prince has shown that he'll spend to improve. We could be on to sumat special here and you'll want to be a part of it.

Did I not read we have a 1 year option to extend, which we will use. So he's not out of contract and won't leave for free in the summer?
Yes correct, but anyone with a brain would sign here long term..

Should sign even if it is a bit lower than what he could get elsewhere. Why would he not ? Despite the vast amount about of bullshit transfer rumours, his name has not come up once despite being at a deadlock with contract talks.

Maybe he is that unhappy with the offer that he is eyeing up a move in summer and only having a year would make that easier.

His agent must have some irons in the fire because I’m pretty sure, no matter what your contract here, if you say you want out, it’ll be sorted for you and by not signing, he is losing money.

Not aimed at you Matt, but I hate shit like this. It’s easily the best time to be a Blade of my lifetime and yet some people STILL have to spread rumours that will turn more than a few against a player. From dissecting a two-second instinctive moment in his goal celebration to these contract rumours, there’ll be plenty that just take this as gospel.

If it emerges that we have Duffy 2.0 on our hands, I’ll hold mine up - but I can’t believe that Lundstram would be playing (and be so highly praised by Wilder) in the last two games if this was the case. I’m sure he’s angling for a big wage hike, I would be too seeing as his value has never been higher (and with Berge’s arrival, it may just have peaked). But the idea that he’d be demanding to be “by far” the highest paid player here - more than the guy that played in the champions league this season? More than our £20m striker? More than our most valuable asset in JOC? - is honestly farcical to me.

It’s like we have to worry about something all the time - I remember in the summer immediately after promotion, there was panic that we weren’t going to spend any money. Then we broke our transfer record four times. Maybe I’m in the minority but I’ll just enjoy the season and moan about stuff when it actually happens rather than because some guy on twitter said something 🤷‍♂️

Not aimed at you Matt, but I hate shit like this. It’s easily the best time to be a Blade of my lifetime and yet some people STILL have to spread rumours that will turn more than a few against a player. From dissecting a two-second instinctive moment in his goal celebration to these contract rumours, there’ll be plenty that just take this as gospel.

If it emerges that we have Duffy 2.0 on our hands, I’ll hold mine up - but I can’t believe that Lundstram would be playing (and be so highly praised by Wilder) in the last two games if this was the case. I’m sure he’s angling for a big wage hike, I would be too seeing as his value has never been higher (and with Berge’s arrival, it may just have peaked). But the idea that he’d be demanding to be “by far” the highest paid player here - more than the guy that played in the champions league this season? More than our £20m striker? More than our most valuable asset in JOC? - is honestly farcical to me.

It’s like we have to worry about something all the time - I remember in the summer immediately after promotion, there was panic that we weren’t going to spend any money. Then we broke our transfer record four times. Maybe I’m in the minority but I’ll just enjoy the season and moan about stuff when it actually happens rather than because some guy on twitter said something 🤷‍♂️

I bet you he'll just sign a new contract, 3 to 5 years, no bother and this will all be cobblers.

Let's not forget that Fleck's contract talks have been ongoing for about a month, but from his own mouth he's not looking to go anywhere, where's the rumblings about him wanting £500K a week and a private hot tub at Shirecliffe? It's the residue of being last season's scapegoat I reckon.

If you're signing something that is going to cover 1/5th of your entire professional career, you need to get it right.

He was the scapegoat when Couttsy got injured. He got into the side one or two bad games fans hounded him.

I’ve never seen us fans have such a good player and he is constantly berated over everything. As a fan base we are appalling towards him and wouldn’t blame him to leave due to stick he gets undeservedly.

Had Lundstram been sold in the summer (as many thought he would be). He'd have been lucky to end up at lower end Championship team, he might even have gone to a League One team. His wages would have been rubbish.

Now he's got his name about in the Premier League, he's nailed on to go to another Premier League team, probably on 10 times his wages.

Why would he hang about here to play second fiddle to Berge, when he's knows this is probably his best chance (and possibly only) to earn life changing money.

The higher up the premier league you go (and certainly if you get into Europe) the more of a squad game it becomes. To compete in the number of matches European football would bring (plus the 2 domestic cups of course) AND continue to consolidate and progress in the league, we would have to be able to seamlessly make changes as and when throughout the team. This would need to be done without any (or little) detriment to performances.

For this reason players like Lundstram would still be playing maybe 20/25 games a season, even if not viewed as a shoe-in first choice player. I am of course not privy to wages paid or whatever, but if we are even in the ball park concerning wages/incentives then I think Lundstram would be a fool to leave.

Don't think this is going to be settled before the summer. If Lunny can continue to impress in his sub appearances his options are much improved in this summer. If he isn't getting played then I doubt that would blackmail him into signing a new contract. An injury to Norwood or berge could change everything. Like everyone else in football he will do what is in his best personal interests whatever more favourable outcome we as Blades might hope for.

Absolutely spot on SS. Our performances are rooted in the effectiveness of the system. For me Fleck, O’Connell, Egan and Baldock are the ones more likely to catch the eye but they are excellent for us due to the system. Egan and JOC don’t score goals as evidenced by our poor stats for deadball conversions. That is an element that will detract from their value. Bash is brilliant for us but, I believe, too old to attract bids. None of the above is in any way a criticism of a fabulous team but that’s the point - it’s a great team as a collective. Next season will be the test, can we keep improving, keep challenging the big 6 and add some individual flair to elevate the effectiveness of the overall system. If we can, values and interest will come along. If you want a parallel, look at Leicester. No one took much notice until they won the league. Mahrez and McGuire went but Vardy was well advised/very sensible to stay put as I doubt he would be anything like as effective in another team unless they played the way Leicester do.
Coming back to Lunny- he’d be well advised to stay put, work hard and get back to a starting role. Do that and he may well attract interest but going now, I could see him back in the Championship when he fails to make his mark in the PL at another club.

Last edited:

Depends on how much his agent has pushed this and what he’s got on offer from elsewhere

you need to accept that we are now where the big money is money and clubs we can’t compete with

if they want them enough and they put enough money on the table they’ll be gone don’t matter who it is or where we finish in the league

Back
Top Bottom