Louis Reed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Can any of the regular under 23 watchers shed any light on what has happened to him.

Personally i rated him as one of the best prospects I've seen coming through at the Lane when he had a stormer in a pre-season friendly against Fenerbache under Clough 2 and a half years ago, but now he seems to have disappeared from the scene.

Can any of the regular under 23 watchers shed any light on what has happened to him.

Personally i rated him as one of the best prospects I've seen coming through at the Lane when he had a stormer in a pre-season friendly against Fenerbache under Clough 2 and a half years ago, but now he seems to have disappeared from the scene.
There are only 18 places in the match day squad and I am fine with Wilder picking him in the squad when he sees fit. If you think he should have been in the squad more often, then why arent clubs making enquiries about signing him or having him on loan?

Had a stormer in a pe season friendly 2 and a half years ago tells its own story . The lad unfortunately is not good enough , which is bourne out in the number of first team appearances . A loan deal would be good for him and the club . To date in the JTW appears no takers , unless Wilder has turned them down and wants him as 8th choice .

UTB

There are only 18 places in the match day squad and I am fine with Wilder picking him in the squad when he sees fit. If you think he should have been in the squad more often, then why arent clubs making enquiries about signing him or having him on loan?

I wasn't asking why he wasn't in the squad, just wondering why his progress had seemingly stalled.

I believe that Wilder rates him however was chucked to the wolves a bit too early. Wilder has also said that him and long will not be sent on loan this January

I wasn't asking why he wasn't in the squad, just wondering why his progress had seemingly stalled.
There are other examples of very talented youngsters who didnt fulfill their potential for various reasons. He isnt even in my top 10 best young players I have seen in my 47 years of watching the Blades

Never rated him and the position he's in now, as in not being in the squad is probably far more representative of his abilities and potential than the previous few years might have made people believe.

Reactions: Gee
Reed missed that chance vs Tottenham in the semi second leg - which would have taken us to ET - good effort but if he'd scored that?

Not really played well enough since.
It would have got us into the aggregate lead. We wouldnt have pressed high like we did in the last few mins

Problem for Reed is he's essentially the same as Scougall, a small central midfielder who's a bit lightweight for a 4-4-2 and can't play out wide, it makes his opportunities limited as there's no point in having two subs the same.

Problem for Reed is he's essentially the same as Scougall, a small central midfielder who's a bit lightweight for a 4-4-2 and can't play out wide, it makes his opportunities limited as there's no point in having two subs the same.

I think we're beginning to see the light.

In fairness to Reed, he's only 19 years old and won't be 20 till the summer. He's already got nearly 60 games under his belt and would benefit from 1/2 a season in League 2.

He's probably 9th choice midfielder with only 5 slots

It would have got us into the aggregate lead. We wouldnt have pressed high like we did in the last few mins

Yup. The moment that happened I was transported back to Tommy bloody Mooney taking that last minute free kick at Anfield ahead of 20 goal Michael Brown.

One kick away from a Wembley final.... Will any of us see the day?

I believe that Wilder rates him however was chucked to the wolves a bit too early. Wilder has also said that him and long will not be sent on loan this January
Which means he wants to sell them and I don't blame him.

Reed is still young and he must be fairly close to first team action otherwise he'd be out on loan somewhere or sold on.

He's played a few games for the first team and didn't do too badly, Southampton in the cup (i think) he looked decent and perhaps could feel that he was harshly dropped.

However, there are aspects of his game which need developing... Shooting for one! But his range of passing is good.

I'd hope that Wilder puts him out on loan somewhere.

Someone said the other day that he's good enough for Man Utd so he ought to be playing for them really. He's too good for us and we can't see his talents apparently. As much as I like seeing a youth player promoted I'd prefer we have 1 Maguire/Walker/Naughton/Lowton/Quinn every 5 years than 10 Reed's/De Girolamo's/Kennedy's/Long's as the latter just get peoples hopes up and are sub standard but tolerated for far longer than we would tolerate a poor player who we've paid for.

You've got to give us your top ten now :)
McAlister
Hamson
Stainrod
Kenworthy
Edwards
B Smith
Eckhardt
Whitehouse
Ward
Woodhouse
Morris
Jagielka
Montgomery
Tonge
Quinn
Naughton
Walker
Maguire

Might have missed a few more. Varadi came to us as a teenager and he was good too but we signed him from Letchworth rather than seeing him go through the youth system

Last edited:
McAlister
Hamson
Stainrod
Kenworthy
Edwards
B Smith
Eckhardt
Whitehouse
Ward
Woodhouse
Morris
Jagielka
Montgomery
Tonge
Quinn
Naughton
Walker
Maguire

Might have missed a few more. Varadi came to us as a teenager and he was good too but we signed him from Letchworth rather than seeing him go through the youth system
A good list that one almost all went on to have good careers and were first team regulars by the time they were Reed's age, that says all you need to know.

McAlister
Hamson
Stainrod
Kenworthy
Edwards
B Smith
Eckhardt
Whitehouse
Ward
Woodhouse
Morris
Jagielka
Montgomery
Tonge
Quinn
Naughton
Walker
Maguire

Chris Marsden was another of our youngsters who went on to have a good career.

Chris Marsden was another of our youngsters who went on to have a good career.
I would put Reed slightly ahead of Marsden based on their appearances for us especially because Marsden said he wanted to leave because he didn't like Bassett's style. Not seen Reed complaining about Wilder's style

Every time I see Reed I see a player with a reasonable amount of talent but lacking that spark;that little bit extra that makes you sit up and take note. Call it drive,panache,self confidence,whatever you like.
Reed dosen't have it and I don't see him ever holding down a place in our first team.

Every time I see Reed I see a player with a reasonable amount of talent but lacking that spark;that little bit extra that makes you sit up and take note. Call it drive,panache,self confidence,whatever you like.
Reed dosen't have it and I don't see him ever holding down a place in our first team.

is our run Reed's fault? :eek:

No one has said it yet but one of the main reasons his career has stalled is because of the manager changes. It was Clough who saw potential in him and had a plan for him to slowly work his way into the first team. When Adkins took over alot started to go wrong including Reed.

Matt Lowton
Wayne Quinn
Terry Kennedy

All home produced and in with a decent shout?

Matt Lowton
Wayne Quinn
Terry Kennedy

All home produced and in with a decent shout?
Forgot Matt Lowton, Wayne Quinn wasn't a teenager when he made his debut and he was not that good when Spackman left. Kennedy was unlucky with injuries and I had not seen much of him

Back
Top Bottom