Lewis Grabban.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes , Marriot's a goal poacher in the Billy Sharp mould but much younger and therefore, much better .

Billy's only got 11 goals so far, whereas Jack has been smashing 'em in right , left and centre with a total of .....ooh look , 6 . Strange one , that .

Meanwhile , West Brom who play the ridiculously old fashioned system of a back four with wingers have two of the latter with 13 goals between them .Our wing backs (or full backs masquerading as wingers as I prefer to call them ) have , err ....... 2.

Those who believe that pulling out the cheque book to sign another striker is the simple answer to our current lack of success might want to look at other aspects of our game . But then again , maybe not since only I and very few others appear to question the mantra that 3-5-2 is the only way forward to being a successful football club .

( Apart from all the managers of the most successful football clubs across Europe and the rest of the world, that is)

Happy days .

We've discussed this before and couldn't agree more, and it's becoming increasingly evident that this formation is costing us games. Both 352 and 442 have their merits. The former seems to work against the weaker teams, fine, stick with it on these occasions. However, we are turned over by just about every stronger team who are able withstand the early onslaught and then capitalise on the gaps down the flanks later on in the game. Thet must think all their Christmas' have come at once when they go on the attack and don't have any full backs in front of them. We're one trick ponies at the moment. As you have pointed out, if we can't splash the cash then we should consider other options.

On the contrary - to both your points .

Duffy could easily play the wide role on the right as he has done in the past leaving McGoldrick to play the number 10 , which I believe is his natural position.

That leaves us just needing an attacking left sided player and I'm sure there are a few out there who could be signed for far less than the cost of a proven goal scorer, if indeed there are any available. The lad Taylor at Rotherham impressed me and caused us all sorts of problems and there will undoubtedly be others .

As to your suggestion that we would not create as freely with 5 attacking players as against our present 3 or even 2 , I simply don't understand that since it defies all logic .
Duffy never played as well out wide, he’s playing the best football of his career in this position . Then we need competition on top of that. As well as the full backs and again no doubt, a goal scorer.

The logic is it’s not as simple as more attackers more goals. We more often then not create many chance a game. Our strikers often miss a lot of them. We have gone several games before in 4-4-2 creating less then we do in Wilders system.

Duffy never played as well out wide, he’s playing the best football of his career in this position . Then we need competition on top of that. As well as the full backs and again no doubt, a goal scorer.

The logic is it’s not as simple as more attackers more goals. We more often then not create many chance a game. Our strikers often miss a lot of them. We have gone several games before in 4-4-2 creating less then we do in Wilders system.

We haven't played 442 for two and a half seasons now. Because we lost a few games at the start of the 2016/17 season does this mean it's forbidden to ever play it again even though it works just about everywhere else?

Anyway, to your post, it's not just about creating chances with 352, its also about letting them in. And we have competition at FB with Baldock/Freeman and Stevens/Lafferty. Basham can also slot in when required. It's the last of our problems, it's a striker and Duffy cover we need.

We haven't played 442 for two and a half seasons now. Because we lost a few games at the start of the 2016/17 season does this mean it's forbidden to ever play it again even though it works just about everywhere else?

Anyway, to your post, it's not just about creating chances with 352, its also about letting them in. And we have competition at FB with Baldock/Freeman and Stevens/Lafferty. Basham can also slot in when required. It's the last of our problems, it's a striker and Duffy cover we need.
It’s the last thing we need if we stick with the current formation. Non of them fill me with confidence as 2 of our four outright defenders.

We played 4-4-2 for a very long time, we have lots to compare this to. However we have spent the last 2 and a half years recruiting, training and developing to this formation. We didn’t have the money to cover for all(even though he has previously said he would like to).

We could still switch back, we just have to be prepared for results to worsen and hope the owners give us the money for a complete overhaul. I’m sure they will.

On the contrary - to both your points .

Duffy could easily play the wide role on the right as he has done in the past leaving McGoldrick to play the number 10 , which I believe is his natural position.

That leaves us just needing an attacking left sided player and I'm sure there are a few out there who could be signed for far less than the cost of a proven goal scorer, if indeed there are any available. The lad Taylor at Rotherham impressed me and caused us all sorts of problems and there will undoubtedly be others .

As to your suggestion that we would not create as freely with 5 attacking players as against our present 3 or even 2 , I simply don't understand that since it defies all logic .
Duffy hasn’t got the stamina to play wide. And we wouldn’t need one left sided midfielder because we’d need cover. As we would on the right, even if Duffy could play there, which we haven’t. I don’t think Bash could play in a back four either so, effectively, we’d be neutering two of our most influential players.

We would need to spend a lot of money to change formation from one that suits the current players to one that absolutely doesn’t.

Duffy hasn’t got the stamina to play wide. And we wouldn’t need one left sided midfielder because we’d need cover. As we would on the right, even if Duffy could play there, which we haven’t. I don’t think Bash could play in a back four either so, effectively, we’d be neutering two of our most influential players.

We would need to spend a lot of money to change formation from one that suits the current players to one that absolutely doesn’t.

I generally agree with many of your opinions but , on this occasion , I disagree wholeheartedly with all of them .

I will explain why on a later occasion if you want me to , but I don't have time at the moment as I'm just on my way out .

Do you not think there's possibly a reason he is still a free agent?

Looking at these stats should be a no brainer

Over 1:2 for Sunderland & Villa and 1:3 for Forest
2017–2018Sunderland (loan)19(12)
2018Aston Villa (loan)15(8)
2018–2022Nottingham Forest144(54)

The new Goldie?
Apart from Grabban knows how to finish

Loan Jebbo back out, Billy is out for a while, McB is not convincing, Brewster we all want to come good, but we’re into season 3 of that now.

Gerrimin

Smells like a Yorkshire pudding to me

Been floating it for a while and been consistently shot down.

1-year deal on a free.

Forest's captain last year.

Scored 13 despite being out for around 1/3 of the season.

Is excellent at holding and linking play.
Exactly what we need to bring our 10s into play.

I thought it was a sensible signing pre-Sharp's injury. Now I think a signing of this nature is critical.

Last edited:
Hecky must be on the horns of a huge dilemma now that Billy's out for a while.
Is one of the players gonna step up + replace last season's goals by Billy & MGW ?
If not , and the £ cupboard is bare , is he tempted to sacrifice some other player to bring in a goalscorer ?

Always struck me as a bit of a k nob, but he knows where the net is and is very good player at this level.

If the wages are affordable, he could be a decent addition for this season.

The spoke about him on Talksport after the links to West Brom earlier in the week….

They said that Grabban’s agent has been trying to tap Burnley up to take a punt on him. The player has had several offers from Championship clubs, however feels that he could cut it with one of the newly relegated teams…. That and he was on 30k a week at forest, he’s probably looking who can pay him a decent enough wad at the end of his career.

Surprisingly not a nob at all.

Little clip of him coaching keinan davis last year. Ultimately a competitor for his place.

Always comes across as aloof and too much of a fan of his own work but actually a really intelligent player and I think a decent person.

I'd say 2 years with an ok basic but a big pay as you play element would work for both. He has had a few injuries.

Looking at these stats should be a no brainer

Over 1:2 for Sunderland & Villa and 1:3 for Forest
2017–2018Sunderland (loan)19(12)
2018Aston Villa (loan)15(8)
2018–2022Nottingham Forest144(54)

The new Goldie?
Apart from Grabban knows how to finish

Loan Jebbo back out, Billy is out for a while, McB is not convincing, Brewster we all want to come good, but we’re into season 3 of that now.

Gerrimin
The forest fan I know always rated him more as a creative influence than a goal scorer, someone who made the team tick, like oooh David Mc did. Which is interesting as his goal record is very good

Back
Top Bottom