Lewis Grabban.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ceasefire

Reaction score
If only we had a striker of this calibre. I wonder where we would be in the league. Looking superb Derby Forest match on sky tonight .

Tearing it up this season, looks a class act. With either him or Marriot in our team and we would be running riot.

Very good all round striker. Probably the most reliable scorer in the division. Also retained his winger qualities from earlier in his career.

He's a good player and you're right that if we'd signed him we'd probably be top of the league. However he's 30 and cost £6m so its not like Jack Marriot who is also doing brilliantly and cost less at an initial £3m and who looks a far better long term investment. We can't afford to spend £6m on 30 year olds and it will screw Forest over in a year or so, because they're looking no more certain of promotion than us and they've spent a shed load.

Forest are his 13th club in 10 years. Something obviously not quite right about him.
More clubs than a pack of playing cards. Avoid!

Actually didn’t we try to sign him about 2 years ago but he preferred some titchy little club over us?

He’ll be laughing on the other side of his face at the end of this season. (Not sure what that means but have had it said to me lots of times).

That lolley is an absoloute balllerr should have signed him last year ...... the one that got away like the twenty others :oops:

More clubs than a pack of playing cards. Avoid!

Actually didn’t we try to sign him about 2 years ago but he preferred some titchy little club over us?

He’ll be laughing on the other side of his face at the end of this season. (Not sure what that means but have had it said to me lots of times).
Yes lets avoid the most proven goalscorer in the championship in the last 5 years :eek::eek::eek:

Tearing it up this season, looks a class act. With either him or Marriot in our team and we would be running riot.

Yes , Marriot's a goal poacher in the Billy Sharp mould but much younger and therefore, much better .

Billy's only got 11 goals so far, whereas Jack has been smashing 'em in right , left and centre with a total of .....ooh look , 6 . Strange one , that .

Meanwhile , West Brom who play the ridiculously old fashioned system of a back four with wingers have two of the latter with 13 goals between them .Our wing backs (or full backs masquerading as wingers as I prefer to call them ) have , err ....... 2.

Those who believe that pulling out the cheque book to sign another striker is the simple answer to our current lack of success might want to look at other aspects of our game . But then again , maybe not since only I and very few others appear to question the mantra that 3-5-2 is the only way forward to being a successful football club .

( Apart from all the managers of the most successful football clubs across Europe and the rest of the world, that is)

Happy days .

Yes , Marriot's a goal poacher in the Billy Sharp mould but much younger and therefore, much better .

Billy's only got 11 goals so far, whereas Jack has been smashing 'em in right , left and centre with a total of .....ooh look , 6 . Strange one , that .

Meanwhile , West Brom who play the ridiculously old fashioned system of a back four with wingers have two of the latter with 13 goals between them .Our wing backs (or full backs masquerading as wingers as I prefer to call them ) have , err ....... 2.

Those who believe that pulling out the cheque book to sign another striker is the simple answer to our current lack of success might want to look at other aspects of our game . But then again , maybe not since only I and very few others appear to question the mantra that 3-5-2 is the only way forward to being a successful football club .

( Apart from all the managers of the most successful football clubs across Europe and the rest of the world, that is)

Happy days .

I never said anything about leaving Sharp out of the team, but he needs a relaible goals scorer alongside him and we need another in the squad. Plus both Marriot and Grabben's all round game and link up play is very good. You can never have too many good players.

Forest are his 13th club in 10 years. Something obviously not quite right about him.

Leon Clarke

2006Plymouth Argyle (loan) 5 (0)
2007–2010 Sheffield Wednesday 83 (18)
2007Oldham Athletic (loan) 5 (3)
2007–2008Southend United (loan) 16 (8)
2010–2011 Queens Park Rangers 13 (0)
2011Preston North End (loan) 6 (1)
2011–2012 Swindon Town 2 (0)
2011Chesterfield (loan) 14 (9)
2012–2013 Charlton Athletic 7 (0)
2012Crawley Town (loan) 4 (1)
2012Scunthorpe United (loan) 15 (11)
2013Coventry City (loan) 1 (0)
2013–2014 Coventry City 34 (23)
2014–2015 Wolverhampton Wanderers 29 (3)
2015Wigan Athletic (loan) 10 (1)
2015–2016 Bury 32 (15)
2016– Sheffield United 80 (28)

I never said anything about leaving Sharp out of the team, but he needs a relaible goals scorer alongside him and we need another in the squad. Plus both Marriot and Grabben's all round game and link up play is very good. You can never have too many good players.

I never said , or even implied that you did .

If we had both Grabben and Marriott in our squad in addition to the strikers we already have I'd be more than delighted , but that's not realistic is it .

However , if we were to have to have similar players to Harvey Barnes and Matt Phillips rather than Baldock and Stevens ( much as I appreciate the latter's vast improvement ) we clearly would have far more attacking options than is presently the case .

You can't have too many good players , particularly strikers , is an old adage but you can't play them all at the same time as Nigel Spackman found out to his cost .

All the great teams I've ever seen , including the present ones , had at least 4 natural attacking players and more often than not , 5 .

We set up with a maximum of 3 and sometimes as few as 2 . It's not enough and it's costing us .

Ironically , this applies to both ends of the pitch since when the wing backs have gone AWOL it leads to situations we've seen many times this season whereby the centre backs have to try and cover for their absence ( such as Egan against West Brom ) with almost inevitable consequences .

There's more to creating a successful football team than splashing the cash , as any number of managers have proved over the years . Ours has not quite got there yet .

I sincerely hope he will .

Leon Clarke

2006Plymouth Argyle (loan) 5 (0)
2007–2010 Sheffield Wednesday 83 (18)
2007Oldham Athletic (loan) 5 (3)
2007–2008Southend United (loan) 16 (8)
2010–2011 Queens Park Rangers 13 (0)
2011Preston North End (loan) 6 (1)
2011–2012 Swindon Town 2 (0)
2011Chesterfield (loan) 14 (9)
2012–2013 Charlton Athletic 7 (0)
2012Crawley Town (loan) 4 (1)
2012Scunthorpe United (loan) 15 (11)
2013Coventry City (loan) 1 (0)
2013–2014 Coventry City 34 (23)
2014–2015 Wolverhampton Wanderers 29 (3)
2015Wigan Athletic (loan) 10 (1)
2015–2016 Bury 32 (15)
2016– Sheffield United 80 (28)
You mean we might get one good season out of him if we’re lucky? Clarke cost us nothing, he’d cost £millions

Happy days .
Couple of questions

What do you think we should play?

Do you think it would be cheaper to fix our issues in this formation or completely change to a new one?

As an example, if we were to play 4-4-2 this would prove to be a lot more expensive. Signing a number of wingers, anywhere near the quality of what you mention would cost a fortune. Probably new full backs who can defend better as this will largely now be there only job. And even then we would still need much more clinical strikers as we will no longer create as freely.

On the contrary - to both your points .

Duffy could easily play the wide role on the right as he has done in the past leaving McGoldrick to play the number 10 , which I believe is his natural position.

That leaves us just needing an attacking left sided player and I'm sure there are a few out there who could be signed for far less than the cost of a proven goal scorer, if indeed there are any available. The lad Taylor at Rotherham impressed me and caused us all sorts of problems and there will undoubtedly be others .

As to your suggestion that we would not create as freely with 5 attacking players as against our present 3 or even 2 , I simply don't understand that since it defies all logic .

Couple of questions

What do you think we should play?

Do you think it would be cheaper to fix our issues in this formation or completely change to a new one?

As an example, if we were to play 4-4-2 this would prove to be a lot more expensive. Signing a number of wingers, anywhere near the quality of what you mention would cost a fortune. Probably new full backs who can defend better as this will largely now be there only job. And even then we would still need much more clinical strikers as we will no longer create as freely.

Back
Top Bottom