Less of a Footballing failure, more a Business failure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

OK just you n moi. The other guy had his chance. You snooze, you lose 😂

A few conditions :-

1. in the spirit of fairness, based on a full CHAMPIONSHIP season of 46 games PLUS all rounds of domestic cup comps. If by some miracle or misfortune we find ourselves not being in the championship for season 2021 / 2022, all bets off and renegotiate !!
2. No play off games.
3. NO PRO RATA. Has to be a full season with SUFC. This was the spirit in which the bet was set up so if you want a piece, that’s how it is 😀.
4. Official goals only. Don’t need any of the apologists inventing stuff to suit. Do we ?😉.
5. Loser to confirm by way of screenshot that the losing bet has been paid as a donation to BlueBell Wood.

Please confirm your acceptance ASAP.

UTB
WTF you on about? Already told you I was in last night.

Over the last 3 seasons including this one, there have hardly been any players we've signed where as soon as I've seen them thought that they're a cut above the rest.
Only ones who spring immediately to mind are Norwood (until his legs seemed to stop functioning), Henderson (who wasn't ours, been and gone), Mousset (for a couple of months), Bogle (when he finally got in the team) and the odd flash from Berge. Other than that, its been money pissed away on people we hope might come good, hope might deliver us a profit when we sell them to someone better, gap pluggers who are hopelessly behind the rest of the squad and inpatients into Chris Wilder's footballing rehab clinic.

Over the last 3 seasons including this one, there have hardly been any players we've signed where as soon as I've seen them thought that they're a cut above the rest.
Only ones who spring immediately to mind are Norwood (until his legs seemed to stop functioning), Henderson (who wasn't ours, been and gone), Mousset (for a couple of months), Bogle (when he finally got in the team) and the odd flash from Berge. Other than that, its been money pissed away on people we hope might come good, hope might deliver us a profit when we sell them to someone better, gap pluggers who are hopelessly behind the rest of the squad and inpatients into Chris Wilder's footballing rehab clinic.
Couldn't have put it better myself👍

There's a fatal flaw in all these threads (Wilder out/keep Wilder, Brewster is shit, why aren't we playing Burke) that we are seeing this as a footballing failure which can be fixed by footballing decisions.

It's actually a business failure: The root cause of our struggles is the same most other struggling businesses: cash flow.

We could spend a bit on transfer fees, which might never end up getting paid, but wages that have to come out the bank every month? We haven't got the cash. It was always going to be tough but with Covid the tap has turned off.

Result of that is we had to give up Deano and take 3rd or 4th choice transfers who'd accept the low wages. And this January, not even a loan signing.

The better news is we go into next season in Championship with low wage bill. Fans back in the stadium and the tills ringing again we'll get the finances sorted and the football successes will follow.

Knowing this will make you less pointlessly angry at our loyal and hardworking players so we can give them our support. Even as they struggle and fail to get a shot off, even against Fulham ffs.
I agree. Also let’s not forget that the Prince owns other clubs that will need cash Input. I believe that he has recently developed an interest in India
IMO we need an owner whose sole interest is the Mighty Blades
We could have used the money he has invested elsewhere to sign the players that Chris Wilder really wanted
Prince you are spreading the jam too thinly. Or is it as always with the Blades. Jam tomorrow

There's a fatal flaw in all these threads (Wilder out/keep Wilder, Brewster is shit, why aren't we playing Burke) that we are seeing this as a footballing failure which can be fixed by footballing decisions.

It's actually a business failure: The root cause of our struggles is the same most other struggling businesses: cash flow.

We could spend a bit on transfer fees, which might never end up getting paid, but wages that have to come out the bank every month? We haven't got the cash. It was always going to be tough but with Covid the tap has turned off.

Result of that is we had to give up Deano and take 3rd or 4th choice transfers who'd accept the low wages. And this January, not even a loan signing.

The better news is we go into next season in Championship with low wage bill. Fans back in the stadium and the tills ringing again we'll get the finances sorted and the football successes will follow.

Knowing this will make you less pointlessly angry at our loyal and hardworking players so we can give them our support. Even as they struggle and fail to get a shot off, even against Fulham ffs.
I’m pleased that at least one of our supporters recognizes the root cause of the clubs difficulties, and has seen fit to put it in print. I’m sure other sentient supporters are aware of this, and equally frustrated by it. Excellent post, which seems to have spawned much whataboutery, concerning recruitment and other issues.
Faced with the truth, some supporters still seem to think that money grows on trees, and the Prince is a very wealthy man.

Admirable OP that has a certain resonance to it.

However, it ignores the FACT that we have not spent well with the budget we have had in the PL.

None of :-

Robinson
Freeman
McB
Ramsdale
Burke
Brewster
Moose
Berge

Have hit the ground running. And we are talking £100m +.

All have had moments. All too fleeting in many cases but, so far, have NOT taken us forward in the way it might have been expected.

Poor Recruitment, as much as any other “business” factor has been the biggest single reason we have failed this season, as it has caught up with us.

I’m just not buying the “cash flow” excuse !!

UTB
The recruitment is the result of business shortfalls. Very few of those players were the managers first choice. The OP has correctly identified the ROOT cause of many subsequent problems. The owner is a positive influence on the club but he’s not wealthy enough to splash money around like AstonVilla for example. Try to imagine what Dean Smith would have done in Wilders shoes!

The recruitment is the result of business shortfalls. Very few of those players were the managers first choice. The OP has correctly identified the ROOT cause of many subsequent problems. The owner is a positive influence on the club but he’s not wealthy enough to splash money around like AstonVilla for example. Try to imagine what Dean Smith would have done in Wilders shoes!
Business shortfalls may have an influence on not being able pay high wages to attract some targets.
But sorry to say recruitment shortfalls have meant a fairly disastrous few seasons in the transfer window.
Overpaying for limited or rubbish players.
McBurnie...limited.
Berge... hasn't live up to the hype.
Brewster....hasn't lived up to the hype.
Ramsdale....hasn't lived up to the fee.
Bogle....looks like a good buy.
Lowe...limited.
Freeman....limited.
Callum Robinson Limited.
Mousset....carnage.
Osborn....good squad player.
Jack Robinson....limited
Jack Roswell...who?
Ravel Morrison...who?
Oliver Burke....limited.
I don't expect owners to splash big money about. But I do expect when we do spend to buy players that are good enough to improve the squad. The manager agreed to sign them. Most managers don't get their first choices but they do get some suitable alternatives.
The recruitment process needs an overhaul.

Business shortfalls may have an influence on not being able pay high wages to attract some targets.
But sorry to say recruitment shortfalls have meant a fairly disastrous few seasons in the transfer window.
Overpaying for limited or rubbish players.
McBurnie...limited.
Berge... hasn't live up to the hype.
Brewster....hasn't lived up to the hype.
Ramsdale....hasn't lived up to the fee.
Bogle....looks like a good buy.
Lowe...limited.
Freeman....limited.
Callum Robinson Limited.
Mousset....carnage.
Osborn....good squad player.
Jack Robinson....limited
Jack Roswell...who?
Ravel Morrison...who?
Oliver Burke....limited.
I don't expect owners to splash big money about. But I do expect when we do spend to buy players that are good enough to improve the squad. The manager agreed to sign them. Most managers don't get their first choices but they do get some suitable alternatives.
The recruitment process needs an overhaul.
I agree that the recruitment process needs an overhaul, simply because the funds available don’t match supporters ambitions. A case could be made for any number of players that you are making an assessment on, based on hindsight. Even Ramsdale who has been in the fans line of fire for most of this year. The club could not continue with Henderson, so Ramsdale replaced him. On the face of it, at that time, Ramsdale was not a direct replacement for Hendo on skills and quality, but a goalkeeper was definitely needed. I know others have been mentioned but the club acquired Ramsdale, end of debate. He will either fit in and become a Blades legend or he won’t. Get used to it, because we are not a rich club with deep pockets.
Berge seems to attract different opinions from fans. Some think he is quality and others disagree. Your view is just one opinion. I don’t a agree with some of your assessment because my opinion is different to yours, but I’m not judging on hindsight, on the back of a crap season, and I think you are.

I agree that the recruitment process needs an overhaul, simply because the funds available don’t match supporters ambitions. A case could be made for any number of players that you are making an assessment on, based on hindsight. Even Ramsdale who has been in the fans line of fire for most of this year. The club could not continue with Henderson, so Ramsdale replaced him. On the face of it, at that time, Ramsdale was not a direct replacement for Hendo on skills and quality, but a goalkeeper was definitely needed. I know others have been mentioned but the club acquired Ramsdale, end of debate. He will either fit in and become a Blades legend or he won’t. Get used to it, because we are not a rich club with deep pockets.
Berge seems to attract different opinions from fans. Some think he is quality and others disagree. Your view is just one opinion. I don’t a agree with some of your assessment because my opinion is different to yours, but I’m not judging on hindsight, on the back of a crap season, and I think you are.
I am basing my judgement on the last two seasons. We have spent more money than I would have expected exactly because I know we don't have deep pockets. I am questioning the purchase of some and the price paid for others.
Ramsdale is ok but 18 mil is a lot of money for him and I am aware that he had big shoes to fill. I can get over that one.
Brewster given time may come good.
Berge is an enigma. He has ability but has not been able to influence the game in the way we need for whatever reason. We haven't seen the best of him.
Last season was built on the back of performances of the players here for a number of years. This season those players are not playing as well. They newer players haven't had much of an impact. Bogle looks promising. Burke I can live with. Ramsdale too. But there have been more failures than successes and that is down to our recruitment.

the problem has been that our 3 big money signings berge mcburnie and brewster signed for a total of 65m have all failed badly and had no impact at all thats big money for a club of our stature berge will be gone and think its 50-50 whether brewster will get us the goals next season as for mcburnie hes never been a premier league striker and im not convinced he will do it in the championship sorry but i just dont rate the guy at all

the problem has been that our 3 big money signings berge mcburnie and brewster signed for a total of 65m have all failed badly and had no impact at all thats big money for a club of our stature berge will be gone and think its 50-50 whether brewster will get us the goals next season as for mcburnie hes never been a premier league striker and im not convinced he will do it in the championship sorry but i just dont rate the guy at all
I disagree with your opinion on Berge, who is clearly a cut above his contemporaries. Two strikers have not scored many goals!
Neither have many other players picked to represent the Blades.

Back
Top Bottom