Leon - bounce killer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Id have never had thought that id see him score 2 perfect hat tricks, have THAT game at hillsboro and actually be gutted to see him leave when he first walked through the door!

He cant stay, we have surpassed his ability but from a player i used to take the p*ss out of at other clubs, id certainly not want to see him with an empty pint pot anywhere that theres a blade in the same boozer!

I suppose Leon really came on my radar when him and Wilson ripped us a new one at Coventry few years ago

Bouncing day aside, I think my favourite Leon goal was that volley in the 3-0 win at Vale at the end of L1 promotion season. Don't think I've ever seen a ball move so fast. Absolutely textbook technique.

A missile. I'm surprised the net stopped it.

Once sold a mobile phone to Derek Geary, and asked him honestly which sheffield club he preferred working/playing for (without telling him I'm a Blade). His answer was instant, and overwhelmingly in favour of us. He said we're just a nicer club, better facilities, stadium, fans, atmosphere, everything. He no longer had any affinity for the other lot at all.

I'm willing to bet Leon now feels the same. He's one of us, he's turned from the darkness to the light. Tore up the championship in our first season, including of course the BDM. Seems an intelligent, humble sort of bloke, and I genuinely wish him all the best in the future. Hope he gets a nice big final payday somewhere, and he'll always get a nice welcome back at the lane. Top, top bloke and player.

TVBOLTTL.
I think the vast majority of players who have played or worked for both clubs would give you the same answer as Geary including the great late Dooley who was a legend at the rust bucket.No contest really when you look at both set ups ,you can not really compare them.They are so far behind us they are out of site.

Signed for Shrewsbury tonight, good luck, and thanks for great memories. 29 goals in 88 outings, the journeyman of journeymens actually scored more for us than anybody else. Once a blade..........22nd move of his career.

Realistically I think he could still play somewhat at Championship level but at 35 most of those clubs probably preferring to get someone younger in.

At least he's gotten a new club though which is the main thing and so I'm really pleased for him.

Good luck Leon. You did exactly what we wanted you to, and more. Weighed in with quite a few goals (and important ones) to get us out of League One. Job done really, but then that purple patch in the first season back in the Championship, with the two against the snortbeasts, and 4 against Hull. You were on fire for the first half of the season.

Proper journeyman striker, but boy did he shine for us.

Good luck Leon, and all the very best. Thanks for the memories.

Back
Top Bottom