Match Thread Leeds United v The Mighty Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today would have been the ideal place to play Sharp and Madine with Mcgoldrick or Duffy in behind and really take the game to them, unfortunately Madines stupidity has taken that away.

Should go Sharp and McGoldrick up top now and with that formation it is a toss up as to weather we play Dowell or Duffy as McG will drop off which suits Both Dowell and Duffy.

Very big test, would take a point as that leaves us very much still in it although relying on a slips ups from others. A loss and and we will be five behind Leeds and probably seven behind Norwich which is a lot to turn around at this stage.

Losing Madine took the one element of surprise we had away. I also think it limits how effective Dowell is as well.

I can't see past starting with Sharp, McGoldrick and Duffy. I'm sure Leeds have come to the same conclusion. It takes any element of surprise away from us unless Wilder has something up his sleeve.

I'd very happily come away from their place with a draw today.

Leeds won all 19 league games they’ve scored first in

Sheffield United not lost in last 53 games Billy Sharp has scored in

If West Brom doesn’t count then I’ll ask what was the last game we had at this level that was as big as this?

Burnley away?

Crystal Palace away?

Cardiff away is the only one I can think of us winning.

Sensible team, Bash just providing that extra support at the back and cover the wide CBs to be more ambitious

Always had to do something a little different to unnerve Bielsa if possible.

Come on Blades.

Personally think we lose something by leaving Dowell or Duffy out for Bash.

Maybe has a plan to keep things tight for an hour and then change things. Hope so.

Come on lads!!!!

Bash played Midfield on Bouncing day.. looks a similar set up.
My thoughts as well.

Contrast vs Wednesday and Crainie and Egan a step up on CCV and Wright.

Brooks off Clarke last time, McGoldrick off Sharp this time. Brooks had that unexpected factor, McGoldrick more of a goal threat and knits together midfield and attack very well.

Despite being rested, Billy's form is excellent.

We've given ourselves every chance.

In Wilder we trust!

This looks like the most defensive team Wilder's ever picked. I assume we might be looking to play on the counter but Dowell is probably our best player in that situation.

On the downside, they’ve just shown clips of our relegation in the opening segment on Sky. But on the plus side, they followed that with the clip of the Leeds kid with the crayoned “Leeds Til I Die” on their relegation.

This looks like the most defensive team Wilder's ever picked. I assume we might be looking to play on the counter but Dowell is probably our best player in that situation.

Agree, although I reckon the plan is to keep it very tight, probably 0-0 at half time.
Leeds seem to like to start fast and build up a head of steam, then they blow away opponents.
If the tempo is slower, then they lose their momentum, their crowd get nervous and then they are very average.

Think Wilders plan is to take the heat out of the gene, frustrate Leeds, then we look to bring on probably Dowell or possibly Duffy in the 2nd half to make us more of a theat going for the win.

Dowell and especially Duffy are 2 of our main creative players. Bielsa did a tactical job on Duffy in the match at the Lane, so I’m sure Bielsa would have designed a plan to close down Duffy or Dowell in this match, so playing Basham in midfield has thrown a spanner in the works regards Bielsa plans. Wilder has used the element of surprise in picking that starting line up.

Last edited:

Totally understand the case for pushing Basham into midfield because these are high-energy and physical side. They can also be quite dirty: it's obviously in the DNA of the club. When I saw them against Norwich, certain players (chiefly Phillips and Roofe) got very nasty when Norwich had pulled clear, and with a proper referee, Leeds would have had a couple sent off.

The problem, as Baying says, is that we lose something without Duffy or Dowell. And it has to be said, that their weakness is their defence. It can be got at, as Norwich showed, but you need your clever players on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom