Learning points from today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What have we learnt? Mcgoldrick and Robinson up front doesn't work. We weren't brave enough going forward in the 1st half. Bash has stopped overlapping.
Good luck trying to overlap Baldock the way he's playing. Superb. To be fair to Bash he showed up in the inside right channel 3 or 4 times

What have we learnt? Mcgoldrick and Robinson up front doesn't work. We weren't brave enough going forward in the 1st half. Bash has stopped overlapping.

I think that Bash staying home more than usual might have been a tactical choice today because of the fact that Vardy likes to drift into the left channel quite a lot. Didn't help us much for their first goal though!

Seriously ?? :D

Fuck me..........i could be in for my first forum argument ever !!

Except i'll not bite, let's just agree to disagree

Seriously and i'll argue with you all night. Keepers covering their near post is basic rule no.1

You obviously know fuck all about goalkeeping.

Thought he was their weak link. Defensively sound, but not great on the ball. Shows how we all see things differently
Seriously and i'll argue with you all night. Keepers covering their near post is basic rule no.1

This is the kind of thing that goalkeepers were taught in the 70s and 80s. Things in the world of goalkeeping coaching have moved on a bit in the last 30 years.

You obviously want an argument.

Why don't you pop along to Forum Football one Sunday morning, you can show us how it's all done :D

Laugh all you want, but having spent 9 months on placement working with the coaching team at a Premier League club, I can tell you that positioning training for keepers doesn't differentiate between space at the near or far posts, it's all about leaving as little space as possible.

Honestly it isn't. If a player is in on goal from an angle the near post is covered first. Which club was it, hope it wasn't ours.

You obviously want an argument.

Why don't you pop along to Forum Football one Sunday morning, you can show us how it's all done :D

What's that? Anyhow I am 100% correct on keeper positioning.

The 5 a side game we organise most Sunday mornings (when Foxy can be arsed) - it's usually a sticky in General Blades Chat when one is on.

You're not related to Pinchy by chance are you ???

The 5 a side game we organise most Sunday mornings (when Foxy can be arsed) - it's usually a sticky in General Blades Chat when one is on.

You're not related to Pinchy by chance are you ???

No way Pedro.

Honestly it isn't. If a player is in on goal from an angle the near post is covered first. Which club was it, hope it wasn't ours.

It was Everton. United are holding out for your insight and experience i think.

Based on what? What's your playing/coaching background?

I have to confess that until I spent time with Everton I'd always been taught the same as you at the (much lower) level I played at. It was quite the eye opener, the way they analysed space and angles.

It was Everton. United are holding out for your insight and experience i think.

Based on what? What's your playing/coaching background?

I don't need any to know keepers get upset by being beaten at their near post. It is in the coaching manual everywhere except Everton.

There were players between Hendo and Barnes he might have not seen the ball until the last moment.

Reactions: Dkc

I don't need any to know keepers get upset by being beaten at their near post. It is in the coaching manual everywhere except Everton.

They honestly don't. It's just the kind of cliche you hear dinosaurs like Souness and co. wheeling out on the telly.

If a keeper as left the minimal amount of space possible, and the striker slots it into a tiny space at the near post, then that's just one of those things. All you can do ismake it as hard as possible fro them.

I'll leave it there though. I've presented my arguments and reasons, and all you've done is post laughing emojis and essentially repeated 'it just is, everyone knows that' over and over. Looks like we have to agree to differ.

Here's a link before I go though https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/

1. Centre backs - do not get caught in possesion in our own half
2. Do not get beat at your near post
3. Start McBurnie
4. Stop looking for overloads before we cross when we have 5 players in the box

Other than that a really good performance and we deserved a point.
regards 2. You are talking about the vardy goal?

I agree that hendo will not be happy on that.

I think a few on here are refering to the Barnes hit, which no one is saving

They honestly don't. It's just the kind of cliche you hear dinosaurs like Souness and co. wheeling out on the telly.

If a keeper as left the minimal amount of space possible, and the striker slots it into a tiny space at the near post, then that's just one of those things. All you can do ismake it as hard as possible fro them.

I'll leave it there though. I've presented my arguments and reasons, and all you've done is post laughing emojis and essentially repeated 'it just is, everyone knows that' over and over. Looks like we have to agree to differ.

Here's a link before I go though https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/

And I raise you my dinosaur arguement (and if applied today would have reduced Vardys chance of scoring)

Certainly Robinson isn`t a centre forward in my view. He was good at Preston playing a more withdrawn role and attacking with the ball from midfield.

I also learned and finally accepted that our defenders are better than I am at football and at 35 I can probably shelve any hopes of playing for the Blades once and for all.

I played against Vardy a good few years ago and he scored 3 in 45 mins against me. JOC, Bash and Egan restricted him to one in 90 mins so I’ll reluctantly concede defeat and search for a different career when I grow up.

No presence with starting front 2 today and palace game....Mcburnie is a must at Chelsea with mcgoldrick in 10 role for me

In no way blaming Henderson, Vardy would’ve finished it anyhow but maybe could’ve closed the angle down a bit quicker? Admittedly not seen it back but he looked a touch slow from his line.

Why would anyone start with Mcgoldrick after the last 3 games. Forget about last season. We need to progress and he has been poor so far ( running around a lot doesn't mean he has played well).

You saw against Palace why we need McGoldrick, or a forward that will drop back, in our system – it’s pretty essential to the way we play, and even more important when we go with the flat 3. Our winner against Palace comes about from getting back on the left and helping work the overload. It’s possible Robinson might do that with McBurnie, but one of the two needs to be that kind of forward that in the absence of a 10 will buzz around the spaces between midfield and striker.

Yesterday was a perfect lesson and reality check.

Can't blame Henderson. It was hit so well he'd have had to have fully committed to one post to stop it.
202AA21C-C4FF-4A03-A2AC-FBE19FD580C7.jpeg

Nice to see GK union out in full force. But yes no stopping that shot imo unless he was stood on the actual post, and if he was and Vardy had gone across goal we would be castigating him for bad positioning

I was on BBC site and some prat has written that Henderson didn't even put an arm out for their winner, when will people understand there are some shots you can't smell let along see, yesterday's was one of them. As for their 1st Vardy was through and let's face it you'd expect him to score, good finish but, ours was a well worked goal as well.

Back
Top Bottom