Player Suggestion Lawrence Shankland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More of a calculated gamble than a proven signing IMHO. He may well prove to be good enough in time but I reckon there's 0% chance CW of pinning his hopes on some kid from the Scottish Champ definitely being able to make the (huge) step-up to the Champ and continue to score regularly this Jan.

Around Donnys level when we signed Deano ? The nets are the same size.

An interesting point Sitwell even though Deane (& Agana) both spent their first seasons with Utd playing in L1 and certainly wouldn't have hit 30 goals each had they been playing in the Champ.

It's hard to say how effective he would be in a better division.

Jason Cummings had similar stats for Hibs when we were in the Scottish Championship and he couldn't cut it at Forrest and seems to have found his level at Posh in League 1. Also this is Shankland's first good season, he played for Aberdeen and St Mirren previously and was bang average.

That said, Shankland has scored a couple of wonder goals this season the likes of which Cummings never did.

He'd be a cheap punt though, so probably worth the risk. £250k would probably land him.

Hibby for that kind of money it's a no risk investment...bigger question is whether we have anyone in the Academy like Smith who is better than him?

Jason Cummings had similar stats for Hibs when we were in the Scottish Championship and he couldn't cut it at Forrest and seems to have found his level at Posh in League 1. Also this is Shankland's first good season, he played for Aberdeen and St Mirren previously and was bang average.

That said, Shankland has scored a couple of wonder goals this season the likes of which Cummings never did.

He'd be a cheap punt though, so probably worth the risk. £250k would probably land him.

I tend to think with some players they start off slowly and then suddenly something clicks and they show a dramatic improvement.

I’d risk up to half a million for him, because players who can score that many goals are as rare as rocking horse shit, and if he can cut it in the Championship, then you are looking at £10m upwards.

Having said all that, having seen likes of Marc McNulty, Stefan Scougall, Ryan Flynn and Lyle Taylor coming to the Lane from Scottish Lower league football I still have my doubts that is a market we know enough about and the big step up

I've just read that he's had some demons. He's admitted to not handling pressure and expectations very well.
I love gambles like him, it's exciting, the sky is the limit for him- especially at his age but it's his nerves that worry me more than the standard he's been playing.
I would 100% take him for 250k though if that's what you'd expect him to go for.

I've just read that he's had some demons. He's admitted to not handling pressure and expectations very well.
I love gambles like him, it's exciting, the sky is the limit for him- especially at his age but it's his nerves that worry me more than the standard he's been playing.
I would 100% take him for 250k though if that's what you'd expect him to go for.
For that money we could sign him and loan him out to a L1 club to find his feet.

For that money we could sign him and loan him out to a L1 club to find his feet.
It sounds like Hibby knows a lot more about Scottish football than I do but I really can't see us getting a young goal scorer like that for so cheap.
If we have that idea then so would Derby, Boro, Leeds etc and you know how that one ends.

It sounds like Hibby knows a lot more about Scottish football than I do but I really can't see us getting a young goal scorer like that for so cheap.
If we have that idea then so would Derby, Boro, Leeds etc and you know how that one ends.

Ayr Utd have been quoted as saying they wouldn't take less than that. It seems small fry in English Champ terms but Ayr were playing part-time up until last season.

Them leading the Championship in Scotland and having a headline grabbing star striker is highly unusual. They really are a tiny wee club, they were in the Scottish League 1 last season and have one of the most old school grounds in Scotland (uncovered terracing etc...). Infact if they do get promoted to the Scottish Premiership they will likely have to ground share to meet stadium requirements. £250k would be huge for them.

Swansea have apparently already registered an interest in Shankland.

You’d imagine, someone with the surname ‘Shankland’ would be more at home in a city like Glasgow ;)

In all seriousness, someone who has an almost goal a game scoring record after 46 games, albeit in the Scottish Championship, has to be of significant interest to a team in Uniteds position.

That’s some consistency at any level of football.

People are saying he plays in the lower Scottish leagues so what where did Jamie vardy play let me think that's right Stocksbridge Park Steel sign him up

Isn't it the Scottish second tier?
Ok that's probably our league 1 level but that's still more goals than Marriott, Sharp, Rhodes and Ched scored when they played there.

Last edited:
Scottish Championship is easier to score in than L2.

Scottish Championship is easier to score in than L2.

Out of interest, how many League 2 games have you watched this season? And how about how many Scottish Championship games have you watched this season?

Lyle Taylor didn’t score that many and I always rated him tbf doin well at Charlton and could do a job for us still.

We’ve gotta be looking at these sorts of players , if Peterborough sign him then scores 20 he’ll be going to derby instead of us

Out of interest, how many League 2 games have you watched this season? And how about how many Scottish Championship games have you watched this season?

Not many. But from what I've seen I think the intensity is lower than L2, even if the technical quality is slightly better. That league will have to have improved if it's now anything above L2 level.

Not many. But from what I've seen I think the intensity is lower than L2, even if the technical quality is slightly better. That league will have to have improved if it's now anything above L2 level.
I rarely watch either as they’re not often televised but from the little I’ve seen, there’s not much between them, essentially the bottom tier of professional football, any lower and you’re playing against semi-pros. I’d be surprised if he could step up immediately to the championship but might do, over time.

In an ideal world, he’s the type we’d have a small punt on in the JTW and loan out to a local L1 club, in the hope that he’d be ready for next season.

Back
Top Bottom