Last Night's Match

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm quite sure we need a striker, specifically one with a physical presence and ability to hold the ball up and link with our excellent midfielders,

Please assume that I continue to take this view until further notice.

In return I promise not to have a tantrum every time another club signs a striker (especially those, like Winnall, who we could undoubtedly have had but didn't think good enough).

I further promise to recognise that NC knows what he is doing.

Finally, I pledge to notice that the season doesn't start until 9 August and lasts for nine months.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Alcock, McGahey, Collins and Harris at the back. Murphy on the left, JCR on the right. Reed, Scougall, Baxter and Basham decide whether they play deep or get into the box (Baxter and Basham attacked more than Reed and Scougall). Looks like we are still playing the false 9 formation.

Only until we get a real 9, I trust....

I'm quite sure we need a striker, specifically one with a physical presence and ability to hold the ball up and link with our excellent midfielders,

Please assume that I continue to take this view until further notice.

In return I promise not to have a tantrum every time another club signs a striker (especially those, like Winnall, who we could undoubtedly have had but didn't think good enough).

I further promise to recognise that NC knows what he is doing.

Finally, I pledge to notice that the season doesn't start until 9 August and lasts for nine months.

Anyone else?

Fair point and agreed that the season doesn't start until Aug 9th ........ however, we have been DESPERATELY in need of a decent striker who's capable of 20+ goals a season and can hold up the ball since young Ched's incarceration and that's a while ago.

IF we are to challenge for the top 2 ( and I don't fancy the prospects of playoffs again ) we MUST have a decent striker for the start of the season, as they don't always settle and start scoring immediately ( not for us anyway ).

At the moment we're a lot of goals short of the top two places ..........
UTB & FTP

Only until we get a real 9, I trust....
Germany played the same system when Klose wasnt playing for them in the World Cup. I think Klose was their only real 9 in their squad. I think Porter is our real 9 at the moment and also think McNulty is similar type of player to Baxter

Germany played the same system when Klose wasnt playing for them in the World Cup. I think Klose was their only real 9 in their squad. I think Porter is our real 9 at the moment and also think McNulty is similar type of player to Baxter
Aslong as Mcnulty isn't a similar type of player to Porter i'll be happy.

I quite like the false nine, though it does worry me a little that the only number nine we have, Porter, was last years top scorer by a mile...

Last edited:
Baxter is as fit as a flea, he's just got a square figure and a bit of a strut/waddle. He's a genuine quality fooyballer, perhaps our very best player. Tony Currie and Alan Woodward were NEVER thin FGS.

I quite like the false nine, though it does worry me a little that the only number nine we have, Porter, was last years top scorer by a mile...

Nothing wrong with Plan B working and there were a few penalties. Wasn't "by a mile" anyway. Give Baxter the penalties, that's what I say.

Disagree, I think McNulty is a poacher and will usually find the target from 20 yards, whereas Baxter likes to get on the ball deep amd start attacks off their

Ours seem worse than most.
Same with a players one minute
they're shite and should be sold, they hit form and leave they're greedy and disloyal. It gets very tiring.

I would also say there is an element of empty cans, but there is always someone who can find a negative in everything.

I love how things irk you so much!

Ours seem worse than most.
Same with a players one minute
they're shite and should be sold, they hit form and leave they're greedy and disloyal. It gets very tiring.

I would also say there is an element of empty cans, but there is always someone who can find a negative in everything.
You must know a lot of fans FB to actually know this.

No one (or at least myself) is basing our striker situation on these pre-season friendlies. It's the fact we were the 3rd lowest scorers in league 1 last year, and have to date only signed one unproven striker this summer.

The reason people are coy at the moment is because some will say 'well we scored 4 against Dundee, there's proof we don't need a striker' or words to that effect, which would be a poor and pointless argument!

Well Thank you !!!!!!!!
I've been batting off the happy clappers all week on my thread 'why no strikers ?'
They are part of the 'it'll be alright on the night' club !
Get one or pref two in before the kick off ,and we are good to go !
:)

Wait and see the next few games to find out if McNulty is the out and out striker you seem to think he is
He is a striker no doubt in my opinion he's a old fashioned type centre foward in many ways and like to play off the shoulder of the last man. Also reports in Scotland reckon he could be the solution to out goalscoring problems, but as you said we'll have to wait and see.

You must know a lot of fans FB to actually know this.
How so? Point out where I suggested the majority. The line about empty cans completely goes against your incorrect assumption.

To be honest, we only scored 4 goals because they were woeful at back at times, three of our goals came from their errors. I think we've strengthened in midfield with JCR and Basham and Reed looks a good prospect. The pressing our frontline were doing was good and will force mistakes in many league one defenses. Not too worried about our defence. McNulty looked lively when he came on and with a good striker with him we should score enough goals to get top two as long as our defence is solid. However, it is so evident we need a target man; Porter won a few headers when he came on but his ball control is poor and often loses the ball when we get in good positions - he isn't the answer. I know it is only pre-season but the start of the season is 13 days away and we appear to be no closer to signing a striker. I trust Clough but promotion may come down to a point or two and our lack of goals could equal a lack of points at the start of the season and it COULD cost us promotion via the top two, which lets face it is our only realistic chance of getting out of this league.

How so? Point out where I suggested the majority. The line about empty cans completely goes against your incorrect assumption.
You quite clearly said our fans seem worse than most,i was simply implying how do you know other clubs fans.

Back
Top Bottom