Keeper situation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Need4speed

Reaction score
After yesterday you cannot dispute the value of a quality keeper. They get you points. All players make mistakes and keeper mistakes will almost always lose you points. Hendo is a quality keeper but he is not ours. I am assuming we are in the premiership next season. So next summer we need an early deal with Man Utd for another Hendo loan or we need to spend big and buy a quality keeper. I see Middlesbrough need to offload in January to keep to FFP They look likely to sell Darren Randolph Should we be competing with West Sham for his signature? Who else would you be looking at? Ben Foster mentioned last week but is he past his best?

If we stay up, which it currently looks like we will do comfortably that’s another year of premier league money banked. We also become a more attractive proposition to prospective signings looking like a more established club with a reputation for playing good and innovative football.

We should be using some of that money to get Hendo permanently if he’s willing. It doesn’t look like he’ll be Man Us number one anytime soon and I doubt he’d be as loved by their fans as he is ours.

If we establish ourselves in the P.L. there’s absolutely no reason he can establish himself as England’s number one playing for us. Especially making saves like that Cantwell one regularly.

They’ll ask a big fee no doubt, but his value could be huge in a few years time. Only who’s probably the worlds best GK right now has apparently got a buy out clause of 100m. When DDG first arrived in England he had several howlers in him - so there is no ceiling to Hendos potential value if he keeps progressing and playing regularly.

think they want 20 million which isnt a problem if we stay up , but im sure his new contract at man utd put his wages around £70,000 per week . would our board pay those wages ??

I reckon we could get him for 20m upfront, plus add ons, man it's would also insert a first refusal clause for the future, his wage would presumably be 30-50k per week bracket, so it is possible imo bit how much desire has he got to still play for man utd, that for me is the stumbling block

If we are in for him, a top 6 club will be too... and if he is going anywhere, I would not be so shocked to see him go to Tottenham.

Lloris has had a poor season plus he is getting on a bit. It is the top 6 club most likely to be looking for a new GK soon, Hendo will know full well that he may only wait 1 season to put himself firmly in the #1 spot, and they will not bankroll a global superstar to replace Lloris

Think this has been covered before.

Henderson isn’t interested in signing for us....he’s set his heart on being Man Utd and Englands number 1.
Also we can‘t afford to buy a future England goalkeeper....think MU would be wanting 25 to 30 million.

I think the only way we could get him is to agree a contract with loads of clauses in Hendersons and Man United favour.
Like we buy Henderson for 20 million and give him £50K a week over 5 years....(it’s almost like a 5 year loan deal).
If we are relegated during those 5 years then Henderson can be sold to any club for 10 million.
After the 5 years are up then Man Utd have the option to buy him back for 25 million.
In 5 years time Man Utd might be desperate for a top class keeper but at the moment they don’t need Henderson.

Where has this £20m number come from? Pickford went from Sunderland (needed to sell) to Everton for £25m, he wasn't the established England keeper then either. Man Utd don't need to sell Hendo so why would they only want £20m for him?

If we can't buy Deano, then I definitely wouldn't be against someone like Randolph - Relatively cheap and should prove to be a very solid addition to the team for 3/4 years at least.

The problem with buying Henderson is that he's English. If he was foreign then we could snap him up for a realistic value of £15mil. Because he's English his transfer value automatically sky rockets and we'd be lucky to get him for £30mil.

There's a delusion and arrogance surrounding young English players and their values are ridiculous. Harry Maguire is a quality defender but he's not World Class yet. He's not an £80mil defender, but he is now because he's English. No wonder foreign leagues aren't interested in them.

I can remember Stewart Downing going for £15mil when that was still big money by Premier League standards, and he was average at best.

It all depends on price. Deano's save yesterday was magnificent, but his kicking throughout the game was pretty poor. I also doubt Wilder is a huge fan of his personality - the reaction after the Liverpool game spoke volumes, and I think his mini-celebration after the save was a bit embarrassing and not very Wilder at all. For those reasons, if Man Utd are willing to part for a reasonable amount, we'll be in for him. If they're looking at £25-30m, or showing signs of mucking us around, we'll be looking elsewhere, IMO.

Verrips out on loan, Foster in ahead of Moore, Hendo needs to be signed.

That about covers it.

If we stay up we should buy Deano. As good as he is, he ain’t knocking de gea out of their net.
Although I can’t help but think that after all the hassle we went through to sign Verrips that wilder sees him as a long term player

We should start negotiating with Man Utd in January. I am confident we’re not going to be relegated. If Man Utd want £30 million then we should pay it. & if Hendo does have his heart set on playing for them then stick a clause in where they get first refusal. Things change alot in football. I honestly believe the sky is the limit for this club with Wilder at the helm. There’s nothing to say that Hendo cant be England number one while playing for us. I know he has a head as big as a bucket & likes attention but he’s a top goalkeeper & if he does alot of shithousery then so be it!!

think they want 20 million which isnt a problem if we stay up , but im sure his new contract at man utd put his wages around £70,000 per week . would our board pay those wages ??
I doubt it. It’s too much as it drives up the other players’ demands. We’d be carrying too high a wage bill for a club in its second season in the PL.

We should start negotiating with Man Utd in January. I am confident we’re not going to be relegated. If Man Utd want £30 million then we should pay it. & if Hendo does have his heart set on playing for them then stick a clause in where they get first refusal. Things change alot in football. I honestly believe the sky is the limit for this club with Wilder at the helm. There’s nothing to say that Hendo cant be England number one while playing for us. I know he has a head as big as a bucket & likes attention but he’s a top goalkeeper & if he does alot of shithousery then so be it!!

£30m?!?! You've been playing too much Championship Manager my friend!

There's no way Tufty is spending £30m on a GK...

I am confident we’re not going to be relegated. If Man Utd want £30 million then we should pay it.

Even if there’s now only a 1 in 15 chance we will be promoted.
When the whole future of the club is at stake then only an irresponsible owner/ CEO would gamble.
Theres no way Henderson will agree to play in the Champiomship.
No doubt if we did buy Henderson he’d have a relegation clause where he must be sold at a cheapish price.
Similar to what Jagielka had in his contract.

Also agree with the other post.
Man Utd would be wanting close to 30 million and there’s no way we‘d pay that.
Another year loan deal might be the only option
or we set up a transfer....with clauses set in favour of Man Utd....so its effectively a 3 year or 5 year loan deal
due to Man Utd inserting a buy back clause option.

You can bet that Wilder and Co are already forward planning and have a list of goalkeeper targets for next season either in the PL or CC.

Last edited:
Where has this £20m number come from? Pickford went from Sunderland (needed to sell) to Everton for £25m, he wasn't the established England keeper then either. Man Utd don't need to sell Hendo so why would they only want £20m for him?

Because people seem to like plucking figures out of the air despite they fact they have no idea how much we have to spend, what division we will be in, how much in wages we would have to pay or basically any bit of information required to make a reasoned guess

Ticks the ex-player box that is so important to a few.
But, putting that aside he’s been the best young English goalkeeper in the league (Hendo apart). If Bournemouth go down we presumably also have a sell on clause so would potentially get him cheaper than others...

That said I’d still prefer Henderson on a permanent deal.

I don't think Henderson wants to join permanently & I don't think Man Utd want to sell. De Gea is always likely to want to go back to Spain at some point, they want Henderson ready for when / if that scenario materialises.

If we can happily spooge £20m on McBurnie then I won't lose any sleep if we part ways with anything up to £40M for Hendo.

But, putting that aside he’s been the best young English goalkeeper in the league (Hendo apart). If Bournemouth go down we presumably also have a sell on clause so would potentially get him cheaper than others...

That said I’d still prefer Henderson on a permanent deal.
Was thinking the same yesterday, when the thread about Bournemouth started. I wonder what clauses we put in the deal....I bet we weren’t expecting to be above them within 2 years though

Back
Top Bottom