Incoming? Kalvin Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Let them gave him. Im not overly convinced on him. There are other players id prefer from the Dirties such Roofe, Harrison, and Clarke.
Wasn't here the fans player of the year?

14m and apparently turned down as Leeds want..

20m!

When you're priced out of average championship players, you know you're fucked.

A Championship club selling a young English player to a Premier League club, it all adds up to a massive transfer fee.

No way we can afford Phillips and still get two decent forwards and an attacking mid. We're strongest in the centre mid positions so I reckon we'll only be bringing in a freebie golden oldie type or someone like Will Vaulks for not much money.

Also, Phillips is a 100% Leeds fan - no thanks1 Lol!

I think Leeds players were always a little bit pie in the sky. They're hardly skint (particularly if the Qataris invest) and so under no pressure to sell. Plus, they obviously all like Bielsa.

It would be someone they're actively trying to sell and want rid of... and therefore, someone we wouldn't really want.

£14m bid from Villa... rumoured to be holding out for £20m. Silly season indeed.

Looks like we really are struggling to compete to get anyone.

Looks like we really are struggling to compete to get anyone.
Are we even in for him?
If we are though, I agree.
Someone on here last month said there shouldn't be a player in the Championship that we couldn't afford. Personally I reckon theres about 20.
Weve just got to hope none of those are on Wilders wish list.

Are we even in for him?
If we are though, I agree.
Someone on here last month said there shouldn't be a player in the Championship that we couldn't afford. Personally I reckon theres about 20.
Weve just got to hope none of those are on Wilders wish list.

Personally, I think we would already know if we had been out-bid or missed out on a target. We probably made enquiries on quite a few early on that we’ve dropped interest in due to valuation. I can imagine that being the case anyway.

As you allude to, doesn’t mean we have made offers for anyone that has already moved or for anyone we are rumoured to be interested in.

Has there been any confirmation that we have missed out on any targets yet?

I can imagine we will have done! I cannot imagine it’s the tactic to not sign anyone for the longest period of time. Considering CW was quoted as saying he had been looking at players for premiership.

It wouldn’t be common to get all targets either.

I can imagine we will have done! I cannot imagine it’s the tactic to not sign anyone for the longest period of time. Considering CW was quoted as saying he had been looking at players for premiership.

Twice you use the word 'imagine'. That sums it up.

I am very ITK about a few PL and Championship clubs but, frustratingly, not at all about us. I do know that lots of conversations have been taking place and that some deals have been agreed in principle but that very little will happen in terms of movement before July. That’s how the market is this year.

I am very ITK about a few PL and Championship clubs but, frustratingly, not at all about us. I do know that lots of conversations have been taking place and that some deals have been agreed in principle but that very little will happen in terms of movement before July. That’s how the market is this year.

Interesting... any ones where you think we should have been sniffing around?

I expect it’s contracts and stuff isn’t it that means things happen in July. Saves people paying an extra months wages, closer to the arrival of tv monies etc for transfer instalments??

Interesting... any ones where you think we should have been sniffing around?

I expect it’s contracts and stuff isn’t it that means things happen in July. Saves people paying an extra months wages, closer to the arrival of tv monies etc for transfer instalments??

Contracts expiring on 30 June more than the tv money, which can be borrowed against, but also down to agents looking to maximise signing on fees & salaries. They call all of the shots. Surprisingly if you do an early deal it can end up costing more. The stupid demands from agents reduce the longer things drag on apart from at the very top. I don’t deal with football people at clubs, I deal with finance directors and owners and they loathe this time of year.

It’s alright imagining what might be happening but the far more likely scenario is that nothing is happening just yet. I’m sure many conversations have taken place between all league clubs. As is usually the case, there will be deals in principal that are on hold pending other deals going through. Players and agents are still on holiday which is just one obstacle. Look at the Dean Henderson situation. Clearly we have an understanding with Man U but no decision to be made until have the U21 tournament. People have to be present to do a deal. Those working in football won’t be sat around at home waiting for a call, they will mostly be on a beach somewhere.

Everyone wants to do their business early but no one can. If we had done ours already then we and Villa would have been the main exceptions across 92 league clubs. I don’t know why some people are panicking. A very small percentage of transfer deals are completed before the end of June. What we’re seeing is normal.

July is going to be big for us and all of the relegation threatened clubs

It’s alright imagining what might be happening but the far more likely scenario is that nothing is happening just yet. I’m sure many conversations have taken place between all league clubs. As is usually the case, there will be deals in principal that are on hold pending other deals going through. Players and agents are still on holiday which is just one obstacle. Look at the Dean Henderson situation. Clearly we have an understanding with Man U but no decision to be made until have the U21 tournament. People have to be present to do a deal. Those working in football won’t be sat around at home waiting for a call, they will mostly be on a beach somewhere.

Everyone wants to do their business early but no one can. If we had done ours already then we and Villa would have been the main exceptions across 92 league clubs. I don’t know why some people are panicking. A very small percentage of transfer deals are completed before the end of June. What we’re seeing is normal.

Exactly that.

Phillips is OK but nothing special. We can and probably will do better. Not overly impressed with Villa's signings so far and quite pleased to hear they are prepared to spend £14m on someone like him

So that's one then. Who else?
Well self evidently theres 17 clubs with premiership squads. That leaves the 3 promoted teams of which Villa are clearly spending to try and survive. That leaves us and Norwich !! Things will change but that's the facts at present

Well self evidently theres 17 clubs with premiership squads. That leaves the 3 promoted teams of which Villa are clearly spending to try and survive. That leaves us and Norwich !! Things will change but that's the facts at present

It’s also important to remember villa probably only had 11 first team players under contract so need to buy a few. Not losing any sleep on their signings so far

Let Villa shoot their bolt early doors then we can get in with buying up our targets without too much threat from them...

It’s also important to remember villa probably only had 11 first team players under contract so need to buy a few. Not losing any sleep on their signings so far
Agreed. Our first aim in avoiding relegation is to finish above the promoted sides. I'm banking on us finishing above Norwich and hoping we can finish above Villa Then it's one of Brighton, Southampton, Burnley et al but they've all been in the premiership a number of years

We are getting nervous because as it stands our squad is weaker than it was last year. Clearly that will change but it would be nice to see it start to change soon and I dont think anyone would have predicted wed have signed nobody 6.5 weeks after the season ended and 3.5 weeks before our first pre season friendly

I’m ok with our progress (or lack of it). I think we will have a little flurry of activity soon. I expect Henderson and Dowell to come back and us to add 2 strikers and another midfielder and defender to the squad before the season starts.

No panic here (yet).

That is proper crazy money and theres no way we would want to spend that but also we dont want to be the 50yr oldl living at home as we think a 3 bed semi should still cost 80k !

Unfortunately its the market and a player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and at the minute there seems to be plenty of clubs willing to pay a fortune.

These sort of.figures make me.sceptical that we can pick up Freeman for.3-4m as theres no way Phillip's is worth 7x that amount

Back
Top Bottom