Player Suggestion Josh Maja

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BigBed

Aboard the sinking ship......
Reaction score
"SHEFFIELD UNITED CANT AFFORD TO MISS OUT ON THIS YOUNG TALENT COME JANUARY!"

Is this true, is he any good??
Just been watching a few of his clips ont net, n he looks promising to be fair.....
Big, black n fast, that fits most people's dynamic, not sure about the French bit?

"SHEFFIELD UNITED CANT AFFORD TO MISS OUT ON THIS YOUNG TALENT COME JANUARY!"

Is this true, is he any good??
Just been watching a few of his clips ont net, n he looks promising to be fair.....
Big, black n fast, that fits most people's dynamic, not sure about the French bit?

11 goals this season, 19 years old, been at Sunderland for 3 years. My mate, who is a Sunderland fan, says there is no chance they will sell him. They all think that promotion is a real possibility and that Maja will be a threat to any team in the Championship.

11 goals this season, 19 years old, been at Sunderland for 3 years. My mate, who is a Sunderland fan, says there is no chance they will sell him. They all think that promotion is a real possibility and that Maja will be a threat to any team in the Championship.

There was an article in The Mirror about Sunderland’s massive debts and ongoing losses.

Said they still need to plug the gap with further cuts and player sales.

I think the lines of Maja will be sold for the right price but not sure that we could afford to pay that.

Only valued at £250k on transfer market, and as a league 1 player, how much could he be worth??
I'd say it's worth a punt whatever.

I was thinking about him the other day, very talented and highly rated = no chance of us getting him!

Sunderland won't want to lose him at all let alone half way through the season so that will put the price up.
I doubt he will get a move straight to the premiership so a top 6 side is most likely, and in fairness not many clubs have 5million burning away in their back pocket like we do.
Who knows?

Think after eat hing a few clips of him, he would be ideal in our squad, looks like the exact player we are missing.....
Get the cheque book out Chris lad, the Brooks money will only go missing if you don't spend it!!

If he's out of contract soon he's exactly the kind of target we'd go after

Seems like the right type of player for us to be trying to pick up, if at a reasonable price (which seems likely given the contract issue).

You'd hope so. A league 1 striker with only 33 apps to his name, out of contract... 2m seems reasonable.

There would be uproar on here if we were in Sunderland's position and we were considering selling a similar player for £2m.

Maja last season played 17 games in the Championship and scored 1 goal. I think 3m is the max we could expect to pay.

Possibly, I've no idea how much he's 'worth' so i'm not really disagreeing with you on that.

I'm just trying to say that it's interesting how fans' views differ when they're on the other side of the fence. If you go on a Sunderland forum and suggest that Maja isn't worth more than £3m they'd probably tell you to piss off. This summer when O'Connell was being pursued by Brighton there were some on here saying he was worth at least £15m, if you'd have asked Brighton fans they would have probably thought they could get him for about £6-7m.

Maja was 18 last year, nearly 18 months younger than Brooks, who we sold for £12m, and many weren't happy with that amount either.

Considering that CW will need to sign the best possible, affordable option who would be able to make an instant impact and have the highest probability of being able to score regularly during the final part of the season, taking a £m++ punt on a 19 year old who, despite looking like a very good prospect and having traits most would think would be valuable to Utd, has only played ~30 games in L1, seems like a very high risk strategy to me.

If he was going to make such a signing, I would have thought it would happen over summer which would allow the player far more time to settle and adapt to the (big) step-up in standard.

Like others have suggested, I would think a Prem club with a few £m spare and not expect him to immediately push for selection in their first team would be a far more likely destination for the player than BDTBL and Utd will go for someone with substantial Champ and/or Prem experience instead. The (unsubstantiated) rumours of Hogan, Defoe and Long would back-up this theory.

Possibly, I've no idea how much he's 'worth' so i'm not really disagreeing with you on that.

I'm just trying to say that it's interesting how fans' views differ when they're on the other side of the fence. If you go on a Sunderland forum and suggest that Maja isn't worth more than £3m they'd probably tell you to piss off. This summer when O'Connell was being pursued by Brighton there were some on here saying he was worth at least £15m, if you'd have asked Brighton fans they would have probably thought they could get him for about £6-7m.

Maja was 18 last year, nearly 18 months younger than Brooks, who we sold for £12m, and many weren't happy with that amount either.

True, although I was happy with it :).

Agree with the general point, everyone overvalues their own players. However you have to base it on the market, O'Connell for me is a much better DC than Flint...and he went for 10m I think.

Suppose 6m for a Prem side is sweet FA and not even a gamble. I can't see that being the case, it wasn't that long ago the likes of Fulham let him go.

And it wasn't too long since Man city let Brooks go and he got double what i've quoted...

Look at Jack Marriott, top scorer in L1 and he was 23 when he went to Derby for £3.4m and had a bang average season in L2 before that.

Let's assume Maja is top scorer (or thereabout) this season, he is 19 and has had a has 4 years ahead of JM.

Yes, an average season in the championship, but that was in a relegation side and he was 18 (!!!!!)

In this market that amounts to $$$

Man City - will do ok in their U23 side....
Spurs - just like mopping up any younger player from the lower leagues.

But 6m..... For a player out of contract in 6 months. Ridiculous.

And we sold Che Adams for peanuts , how much would he have been worth if he’d have stayed and banged in 20+ in the promotion season.
Still baffles me why no one batted an eye lid when he left for nowt

And we sold Che Adams for peanuts , how much would he have been worth if he’d have stayed and banged in 20+ in the promotion season.
Still baffles me why no one batted an eye lid when he left for nowt

Ah, hindsight, what would life be without being able to tell others how things would have turned out? If only we'd have been armed with prior insight?

At the time, Adams apparently wasn't prepared to get on board with the then manager's vision (I believe that Wilder was newly installed), and as with every other player that we've sold the valuation was at a level that was regarded as appropriate. There wasn't an auction that would have enabled the club to hike the price, it was what it was, so why anyone thinks that we could, or should, have asked for more is puzzling. My dad bought his house for £1500 in the 1960's, but if he'd held on then today the valuation was a little under £2 million. How 'foolish' of him not to understand this, and even more 'foolish' that he couldn't predict how the property market would develop. It's the same in football, everyone seems to possess the ability to predict correctly. I wonder why they don't spend their time making a fortune from stocks and shares, or from the horses, or from just about anything that can offer a return that will make you wealthy?

Back
Top Bottom