John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A player that CW has admired for a while, had injury problems and would add to the squad.
However I see him as another passer of the ball, I want us to sign a player who can get beyond people with skill and pace

Wanted him since I saw him play for Swindon in league one. Great option for CAM/RCM. Great competition/replacement for lunny but with that extra ball carrying and dribbling ability. Big fan if we pursue this. Fleck Berge Swift all of a sudden makes our midfield look more technical.

Great player, hope we can get the deal done swiftly and we can fly high again next season.

Wonder if this is the replacement for Lunny, as it seems he will likely be going in summer whilst we can get a fee for him??

Expect he will have been bought to compete in that RCM and play as a 10 if we tweak our formation too. But I don't expect it means Lunny is off. He's not going to command a massive fee, particularly now with the pandemic hitting the budget of non big six teams, who are likely to be his market. Better off keeping him for next year, having him compete for the RCM shirt, and by then you never know his wage demands might be a bit more realistic. If he goes on a free, so be it.

I like this signing as a backup to the RCM position. It’s like for like in the same way Freeman is. It means you have Fleck on the left with the option of the more creative technical attacking Freeman to come in, and Lunny on the right with the more technical attacking Swift to come in. I can see why Wilder would want this.

Fleck/Berge/Swift
Freeman/Norwood/Lunny

Pushing us closer to the ‘two players for each position’ holy grail.

I don't want any excuses for messing up the name 'John'

A right footed Luke Freeman clone. Like it.

Fleck Freeman on the left
Berge Norwood in the middle
Lundstram Swift on the left
Need a shit house to complete it.

Good player. Another chance for the physios to earn their pay like they have with Didzy

Presumably he'd be arriving to compete for the RCM role.

I've always liked the look of him, he uses the ball well, is tidy in possession and has good footwork. His stats have been very strong this season. Relative to the league; third most chances created, second for long passes, ninth for successful crosses. He's also registered 10 assists & 5 goals this season.

He lacks the physicality, speed and dynamism of Eberechi Eze, who plays the same position(ish) for QPR.
Swift's always looked a little lightweight & I don't recall him putting much of a defensive shift in for Reading. These areas would concern me as the strength & athleticism required to shine at Premier League level are much greater than the Championship and have surprised me this season. They are also mandatory to perform the RCM role in our system.

I guess the word of caution would be to acknowledge how Luke Freeman has done this season for us.
He had similarly impressive stats in the Championship & has hardly had a look in (rightly or wrongly).

At anything less than £6m (L Freeman numbers), Swift would certainly improve our squad & I would definitely support the signing. But given that we're likely to be selling Lundstram, I would hope for better to come in and immediately improve our starting XI.

Last edited:
If I see one more Tweet referring to the 'Duffy role' I might have a break down.

We don't play with the Duffy role any more. The role is redundant. We haven't used it, wont use it.
Our current management team always change stuff around and progress, who can be certain that we will never try that sort of position ever again? And also a few occasions and mid game formation changes this season we have had players in the "duffy role".

Wonder if that murdering bastard Besic would be interested? He'd have to know it's only going to be every so often he gets a kick though.

“And coming off Number 23 Johhhhhn Swift....well played Swifty”

giphy.gif

Freeman won't be here by August and who can blame him? He's totally wasted a season. Osborn will be Fleck's cover as well as LWB cover, it's the only way we're going to be able to convince him to stay surely.

Back
Top Bottom