John Lundstam to shine

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have a feeling we will see a lot more of JL next season. He is looking fit and strong which we will definitely need. Despite what a lot think, he can play a bit too.
With all due respect, "fit, strong and can play a bit" should be the baseline for any footballer from at least National League level up.

There is a good player in there somewhere, he's just unfortunate that there are many more ahead of him in the pecking order.
If we'd signed him in 2015 he'd have probably been our superstar that we sold for £1.5 million because a higher placed club came in for him

I fear his Stoke display is the same as when some were raving about Washington’s energy at Brentford away. One swallow does not a summer make and all that.

Happy to be proved wrong, but I don’t think he’s good enough and that’s been shown by how much he’s played this year. In a league where we need to strengthen our midfield, he’s already bottom of the pecking order.

I like Lundstram. There’s definitely a decent player in there.

Where?

Just jesting. I'm never one to berate players unfairly, but I don't think he's good enough. I've said time and time again, it's because he doesn't know what time of player he wants to be. He doesn't sit and ping passes like Norwood, he doesn't dictate the play like Coutts, he isn't box to box like Fleck and he isn't attack minded enough, quick enough or have the feet to be a Duffy type. He always seems to be a split second or two behind the play in terms of his reading of the game and decision making.

For those reasons, he's got better options in front of him in every midfield position, and I always think he's a bit of square peg when he's asked to slot in. I wouldn't include him in a 23 man squad for that reason.

The ball he put thru to Donaldson at Villa away a few years ago was unbelievable

This is absolute Montyism.

When you are remembered for ONE piece of skill in a career (look through this site and see how many times any "Monty thread" has reference to an assist at St James' Park) then it simply means you didn't/couldn't do it on a regular basis and the time you did it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I have no idea if he will improve enough to be a regular part in our squad next season but he certainly wasn't good enough for more than a bit part in our success this season.

I don't think that we can make him shine, although we could roll him in glitter I suppose....

Where?

Just jesting. I'm never one to berate players unfairly, but I don't think he's good enough. I've said time and time again, it's because he doesn't know what time of player he wants to be. He doesn't sit and ping passes like Norwood, he doesn't dictate the play like Coutts, he isn't box to box like Fleck and he isn't attack minded enough, quick enough or have the feet to be a Duffy type. He always seems to be a split second or two behind the play in terms of his reading of the game and decision making.

For those reasons, he's got better options in front of him in every midfield position, and I always think he's a bit of square peg when he's asked to slot in. I wouldn't include him in a 23 man squad for that reason.

I don’t disagree with you in regards to the type of midfielder he is. I think he adds most value as an athletic, ball-winning type who can win it back and pass it off to the more gifted Norwood or Fleck. It’s not like he has zero ability on the ball himself though.

I’m not saying he should be playing week in week out and he won’t be doing but he’s a solid squad player for where we’re at right now.

If we wanted another 25 year-old English midfielder produced at a PL club and captain of his last club, then I reckon we’d have to spend a couple of million.

I’ve seen nothing in 2 years of JL to suggest he’s more that adequate back up.

The pace of the championship looks too much at times despite some positive performances - id only expect this to get more apparent in the speed of the PL

Lundstram is definitely a decent player when played in the right role. Problem for him is that when Coutts got injured, he was asked to play a role which people wanted to be the Coutts role, but he was never going to be that player. It takes a special kind of Norwood for that

Lundstram, in my opinion will be useful in the Prem, especially in games where we need to close out/ hang on to either get a win or draw

Lundstram is definitely a decent player when played in the right role. Problem for him is that when Coutts got injured, he was asked to play a role which people wanted to be the Coutts role, but he was never going to be that player. It takes a special kind of Norwood for that

Lundstram, in my opinion will be useful in the Prem, especially in games where we need to close out/ hang on to either get a win or draw

Yep. Totally agree. If he has to start many games we're up shit Creek as he doesn't have the ability or athleticism to be a force (even at championship level).

However, he does have the energy and doesn't give a fuck attitude to be crucial when we're trying to pack the midfield to close out games.

I can see him being an 'impact sub' where the impact is chase the ball and kick anything that moves!

Yep. Totally agree. If he has to start many games we're up shit Creek as he doesn't have the ability or athleticism to be a force (even at championship level).

However, he does have the energy and doesn't give a fuck attitude to be crucial when we're trying to pack the midfield to close out games.

I can see him being an 'impact sub' where the impact is chase the ball and kick anything that moves!
I'd have no problems in him starting games, i'd certainly rather him play midfield than Basham

I'd have no problems in him starting games, i'd certainly rather him play midfield than Basham

Wouldn't disagree. I don't think we'll be long in the PL if either/both have many starts in midfield next seasons.

I worried about our lack of athleticism when we came up from League One and it was one thing Tufty addressed after our first season last Summer/Jan but I really worry next season...

Back
Top Bottom