John Carver

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I should coco

A little harsh on a well meaning body of men
Reaction score
Remember him? Bobby Robson's right hand man and a great CV to help Gary Speed move the club on to greatness?

Four useless games as caretaker manager?

On R5L tonight with Darren Bent and Jermaine Jenas talking loads of sense. He sounds like the best manager we never had.

Were things really that rotten at the time, that a good experienced 'football man' couldn't turn it round, or the fact I've had a couple and in a good mood means I'm giving him too much leeway?

Answers on a postcard please.....

I think all carver did for us & Bobby Robson was pick up the cones & training bibs . Heard an interview with him after Newcastle had got arsoled when he was caretaker & he was still insisting he was the best coach around ! I think he'd been listening to too many of positive Nige's self belief & I will succeed tapes

Didn't he offer out his own fans

claim Williamson (his captain!?) got himself sent off on purpose

and nearly relegate Newcastle in a situation where they were almost mathematically safe?

Remember him? Bobby Robson's right hand man and a great CV to help Gary Speed move the club on to greatness?

On R5L tonight with Darren Bent and Jermaine Jenas talking loads of sense. He sounds like the best manager we never had.

Were things really that rotten at the time, that a good experienced 'football man' couldn't turn it round, or the fact I've had a couple and in a good mood means I'm giving him too much leeway?

Another one for the 'cracking coach,
Shite manager' box...

We'll probably sack Wilder in December and bring him in as manager to show some of our fans that we have got ambition eh @thelane ;)

I recall the comment that John Carver made after the Burnley game (2-4 defeat), which was the last of his 4 games in charge, when he said that he, 'had been aware over the years of numerous people connected with the club complaining that Sheffield United had had persistent shocking treatment from match officials and that he now knew after being in charge for a few games that they had been absolutely right'.

The first 3 games of this season indicate that little has changed.

Thanks for the various contibutions.

My faith in humanity (Blades version) has been restored. We were right and he was a miserable Geordie bastard.

Will the lovely Samantha, bring on the next contestant please...

If he was given the job full time instead of Mickey "ale house football" Adams, would we have gone down? At the time Adams was in charge, it was the worst United team I had seen in my life. I remember him playing Cresswell on the right wing! And also signing Marcus Bent. But, because of his bladeyness the "in Mickey we trust brigade" thought it a great appointment.

If he was given the job full time instead of Mickey "ale house football" Adams, would we have gone down? At the time Adams was in charge, it was the worst United team I had seen in my life. I remember him playing Cresswell on the right wing! And also signing Marcus Bent. But, because of his bladeyness the "in Mickey we trust brigade" thought it a great appointment.
Mickey Mouse would've kept us up with the games we had left to play and the squad we had. Adams was woeful. Selling Jamie Ward and signing the likes of Collins, Doyle, Bent. It was always going to end in disaster. McCabe has to shoulder some of the blame of course for selling anyone that could kick a ball in a straight line and never allowing the reinvestment of the funds, but we still should've had enough in the tank to stay up comfortably, which imo Carver would've succeeded in doing

If he was given the job full time instead of Mickey "ale house football" Adams, would we have gone down?

Yes.

And also signing Marcus Bent.

To be fair, quite a few of us thought it an inspired signing. I watched with increasing disbelief how lazy, disinterested and unfit he had become.

But, because of his bladeyness the "in Mickey we trust brigade" thought it a great appointment.

Crap disjointed season with four managers. We were never going to win the league after that, were we.

He should have done better though, 'Blade' or not.

Wilder stands out as a manager - Knill stands out as a coach.

Carver never struck me as a front man - as didn't Blackwell.

Some "football" people are meant to know how to "manage" players, some should stick with being the conduit between manager and coach - ie: the assistant/coach. Knill is ok in front of a camera - zero charisma, but seemingly a very good coach.

It is totally understandable some coaches want to try and manage - some just can't do it. David Weir appears to be an ideal coach - zero charisma or method in being a manager.

Horses for courses as they say.

UTB

An absolute bafoon of a bloke, wouldnt even wish him on the mackems

Didn't he offer out his own fans

claim Williamson (his captain!?) got himself sent off on purpose

and nearly relegate Newcastle in a situation where they were almost mathematically safe?
Southampton away, Pardew was getting a bit of stick (we were 19th in the league and were losing 4 nill) so Carver had a go at a few fans

We were already 2 nill down (iirc) and were already down to 10 men when Willo took out Vardy when he wasnt even on the pitch on the 89th minuite!
I dont think he meant to get sent off but it was a stupid act as we only had 12 first team players to choose from through suspension and injury!

We were 10th at January and looked pretty safe but we certainly wasnt a midtable team, we had been awful well over 8 months then went on a six game unbeaten run which put us in a seemingly better position the table was displaying us at.

He was awful for us though! Still almost got the full time job too...

Back
Top Bottom