Player Suggestion Joel Veltman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dutch Blade

Reaction score
We obviously need depth for the CB positions, and that's without even thinking about Egan/ O'Connell getting poached by an other team.

Joel Veltman (Ajax) is a really solid CB and would be definitely be a big improvement for our squad. He should cost around 5-6 million pound, as he was supposed to leave last year but then got injured. Ajax is not gonna ask for a big fee.

He's a right footed CB, who is also comfortable playing RB (although not in our 3-5-2 system). Very comfortable with the ball on his foot, and very smart in his way of defending. He's definitely better than Jagielka & Robinson, and tbh I think he's better than Basham as well.

His only "unknown / weakness" is defending against strong tall strikers, but that shouldn't be a problem in our 3 CB system and he's very smart handling that.

If we get European football I'm sure he's willing to come here. Olympique Marseille, and unknown Italian top 5 side & some lower Premier League teams are interested (reported last week by the most reliable Ajax watcher in The Netherlands). He stated in an interview a couple years ago that playing in the Premier League would be a dream for him, so if he prefers that league above the France competition, we would be his first choice I guess.

We obviously need depth for the CB positions, and that's without even thinking about Egan/ O'Connell getting poached by an other team.

Joel Veltman (Ajax) is a really solid CB and would be definitely be a big improvement for our squad. He should cost around 5-6 million pound, as he was supposed to leave last year but then got injured. Ajax is not gonna ask for a big fee.

He's a right footed CB, who is also comfortable playing RB (although not in our 3-5-2 system). Very comfortable with the ball on his foot, and very smart in his way of defending. He's definitely better than Jagielka & Robinson, and tbh I think he's better than Basham as well.

His only "unknown / weakness" is defending against strong tall strikers, but that shouldn't be a problem in our 3 CB system and he's very smart handling that.

If we get European football I'm sure he's willing to come here. Olympique Marseille, and unknown Italian top 5 side & some lower Premier League teams are interested (reported last week by the most reliable Ajax watcher in The Netherlands). He stated in an interview a couple years ago that playing in the Premier League would be a dream for him, so if he prefers that league above the France competition, we would be his first choice I guess.
Not a bad shout as cover, not convinced he is better than any of our starting back 3 but is probably better than any of the backups.

12 months left on his contract too.

I would go on a shoplifting spree at AZ Alkmaar. Anything that isn't either nailed down or Ron Vlaar, i'd have.

I would go on a shoplifting spree at AZ Alkmaar. Anything that isn't either nailed down or Ron Vlaar, i'd have.
I would stay away from them tbh. They have some talented players, but they are asking an absurd amount of money for ever player and are really overhyping and overvaluing every single one. They are talented, but also unproven in Europe and really are hit and miss in different Eredivisie games. I don't think we have the budget to pay that money for a HUGE gamble. Most of them have 10-15 good Eredivisie games, a lot of bad ones and zero experience in Europe.

Even Ajax can't buy their talents anymore, because they are asking 25+ for Stengs & Boadu for example, and probably 20 million for Wijndal. Ridiculous money

I would stay away from them tbh. They have some talented players, but they are asking an absurd amount of money for ever player and are really overhyping and overvaluing every single one. They are talented, but also unproven in Europe and really are hit and miss in different Eredivisie games. I don't think we have the budget to pay that money for a HUGE gamble. Most of them have 10-15 good Eredivisie games, a lot of bad ones and zero experience in Europe.

Even Ajax can't buy their talents anymore, because they are asking 25+ for Stengs & Boadu for example, and probably 20 million for Wijndal. Ridiculous money

Yer spoilsport! ;)

For me, Bash has definitely got one more season left, after the standards he’s achieved? If we stick with the system, which has served us so well this past 4 seasons, then we need a tall defensive minded midfielder to replace him? So Rodwell, if he can stay fit?

Well he's off to Brighton for only 1 MILLION. There were 2 other English clubs interested, but don't think that was us since surely we would be a better choice than Brighton.

We missed a great steal here.

Last edited:

Well he's off to Brighton for only 1 MILLION. There were 2 other English clubs interested, but don't think that was us since surely we would be a better choice than Brighton.

We missed a great steal here.

Sky Sports saying it was £900k.

How come the fee was that low? Seems bizarre.

I read that too but can’t understand why it would be that low, unless Kevin McCabe is Ajax chairman nowadays.
He was supposed to leave last year, but got injured. So apparently deal was made that he renewed his contract with this release clause so he could still leave whenever he wanted to, since he has been at Ajax since he was a little kid in the youth academy. Ajax also made a deal with Ziyech that he could leave for 12,5 million for each contract year left 1 years ago, but last year only AS roma got close to buying him.

Same with Tagliafico, Ajax made an agreement that every number above 20 million will be split between him and the club. So Chelsea could pick him up relatively cheap.

Still surprised that the release clause for Veltman was so low, because 5 million would still be a steal and low enough to make sure a club would pay up.

The reason why Ajax makes this kind of agreements is that players will be more inclined to renew their contracts and stay for 1 more year, basically guaranteed that they can move the year after that year for a relatively low fee. Because of that, Ajax can keep most players 1 year more than in normal situations, which leads to better performances on the field. Pretty good tactic imo, especially since Ajax got like 150 million in cash so no real financial problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom