John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Eze is not and never will be a striker. we don’t play a number 10 anymore.

He's a forward, his hold up and link up make him a viable McGoldrick-lite option. He's versatile, can play many different positions and has done. Played a deeper role at times this season, very talented.

He's a forward, his hold up and link up make him a viable McGoldrick-lite option. He's versatile, can play many different positions and has done. Played a deeper role at times this season, very talented.
D054EF6F-F33C-4735-82AF-39E5E1304CA9.gif
McGoldrick is a striker that drops into the number 10 role. So is Harry Kane. Eze is CAM. End of.

Things are moving. Berkshire Live reporting that Swift is on the verge of completing a deal for an initial £3.5 million. He could even be announced as early as later this week.

Another captain too to add to the squad of captains. Going back to our old-school recruitment policy after the flurry of recent non-captains.

View attachment 86123
McGoldrick is a striker that drops into the number 10 role. So is Harry Kane. Eze is CAM. End of.
Harry Kane doesn't drop into the number 10 role, strange comparison
McGoldrick has played number 10 for us many times. Some say that role suits him more, I would concur.

Players positions can and do evolve you know?
Ollie Watkins was a winger/number 10 (like what Eze has played most of his career) - Brentford cashed in on Maupay & now use him as their sole striker and he's scored 20 goals.
Basham was a central midfield player who could fill in at centre half in case of emergency... is now a very good Premier League centre half.
Look at Callum Robinson, never played striker before and Chris thought he could utilise him upfront from his previous position at left wing.

Eze is much more suited to the role than Robinson as he's played centrally, and is a strong lad. Oh, and has played upfront before.

The diamond formation is our main plan B. We tried it the last 30 minutes vs Leicester after Sharp came on, with McGoldrick in the number 10 role.

I think you're right that Eze is a number 10 and would be unlikely to play for us in the same formation that we used last season. However, I think Wilder could at some point try a 3-5-1-1 formation, i.e. a number 10 roaming behind the main striker.

Where exactly does Swift play? If he's right midfield then the assumption would be that he's a Lundstram replacement, if he's left midfield then he may as well not bother because he's behind Fleck and Osborn plus Freeman is a really good player but for some reason doesn't play. If he's centre midfield then he's back up for Norwood, who has that role to lose and longer term I thought we'd got Berge pegged for that position?

We need goal scoring strikers as a first priority and we'll have spent £6.5m on another backup keeper and another midfielder so far.

Moan over.

Where exactly does Swift play? If he's right midfield then the assumption would be that he's a Lundstram replacement, if he's left midfield then he may as well not bother because he's behind Fleck and Osborn plus Freeman is a really good player but for some reason doesn't play. If he's centre midfield then he's back up for Norwood, who has that role to lose and longer term I thought we'd got Berge pegged for that position?

We need goal scoring strikers as a first priority and we'll have spent £6.5m on another backup keeper and another midfielder so far.

Moan over.
Luke Freeman is injured, thats the reason he doesn't play. And when he has been fit, John Fleck is the reason he doesn't play.

If Luke Freeman isn't happy about it I refer him to Ben Osborn and his approach.

Harry Kane doesn't drop into the number 10 role, strange comparison
McGoldrick has played number 10 for us many times. Some say that role suits him more, I would concur.

Players positions can and do evolve you know?
Ollie Watkins was a winger/number 10 (like what Eze has played most of his career) - Brentford cashed in on Maupay & now use him as their sole striker and he's scored 20 goals.
Basham was a central midfield player who could fill in at centre half in case of emergency... is now a very good Premier League centre half.
Look at Callum Robinson, never played striker before and Chris thought he could utilise him upfront from his previous position at left wing.

Eze is much more suited to the role than Robinson as he's played centrally, and is a strong lad. Oh, and has played upfront before.
Kane doesn’t drop into the 10 role? Your eyes must be painted on! Nearly all their goals are scored by Kane dropping deep and pulling the defence with him so Son, Ali, Moura can exploit the space In behind.

Luke Freeman is injured, thats the reason he doesn't play. And when he has been fit, John Fleck is the reason he doesn't play.

If Luke Freeman isn't happy about it I refer him to Ben Osborn and his approach.

Without wanting to sound like Ricky, I don't think Freeman has been given a chance this season for whatever reason. Flecks good form is one reason but there are games that he's been available and Fleck hasn't where we've played players out of position instead of playing Freeman.

Eze played the deep lying central midfield role the last time he played at the Lane, and did it very well by all accounts.

Kane doesn’t drop into the 10 role? Your eyes must be painted on! Nearly all their goals are scored by Kane dropping deep and pulling the defence with him so Son, Ali, Moura can exploit the space In behind.
No more than most strikers of his build and role do...
He's not exactly Bobby Firmino, and doesn't drop back nearly as deep and often as McGoldrick does

At the risk of derailing the thread, Eze could play upfront

Thanks for your time

Moan over.
He’s a right sided cm.

How have we spent £3m in Foderingham? His wages will be no more than Moore’s.

Moan over.
Got a feeling that next season our System will evolve, especially away from home, with the usual back 5, but with Fleck and Berge sat in front, then Swift and Mcgoldrick inverted behind one lone forward.

No more than most strikers of his build and role do...
He's not exactly Bobby Firmino, and doesn't drop back nearly as deep and often as McGoldrick does

At the risk of derailing the thread, Eze could play upfront

Thanks for your time
The above renders you, IMO, devoid of the merest notion of how professional football Is played.

Moan over.

The season's not even finished yet. Foderingham was in on a free and will upgrade our keeper back-up spot. Swift at £3.5m is a very good deal. Reading fans think it's a steal. He's coming in to hopefully be first choice RCM next season. He can play as a number 10 as well.

That's two signings costing just a few million between them and clearly upgrading our squad as a whole. And the season hasn't even finished yet. No need to moan. Paper talk will tell you a striker is on our list, so I think you'll just need to have a bit of patience. There's a long way to go until the start of next season. Christ, this one hasn't even finished.

Back
Top Bottom