Jeff King

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score
seems to have gone unmentioned but I thought it was good to see Jeff King make an appearance at the derby match the other night.

Judging by the mild round of applause he received I think he’s slipped from memory? From both sets of fans?

Jeff joined us from Wednesday (I think). Like many others to cross the great divide he was viewed with suspicion at first. But he endeared himself to many of us with his 100% all action battling performances. He was also a bit of an eccentric. I remember him wearing odd boots. One Adidas, one Puma.

But his piece de resistance was a stunning volley he scored at Elm Park Reading one evening. He received the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box and hit a thunderous volley into the roof of the net! Stunning goal! The only problem was it was against his own keeper!:eek: I can’t temember the final score now but I think we lost 1-0 to Reading that night.

I was there. A screamer. His legendary status was cemented into history that night

There was a piece about him in the programme that alluded to off the field problems. It said he had his contract cancelled in 1982/83 but came back. I remember the Kop singing "Kingy is back" when he scored in a 3-0 win over Orient on New Years Day 1983 but just assumed he'd been injured. Problems with booze?

Prefer his contribution away at Bury where he set up an Edwards winner with a good run and cross. I was behind the goal in the away and and saw it all (seemingly in slow motion) as the cross came over and you just knew Edwards was going to bury the header. Cue pandemonium.

Scored two goals at Crewe away May 1982. I don’t remember a thing about the goals just the celebrations on the uncovered terrace at the railways line end. Though I think we were given three quarters of the ground, or did we just take it anyway?

That was my first away game with me mates on the football special.. a genuine rite of passage and a feeling that is still with me even when I go away these days.

There is still no feeling like watching United away.

Players who were not in the team had to come on at half time with pitchforks to fork the pitch of water.

Always made me laugh that other players and ground staff kept a safe distance from Jeff with his pitchfork.

He was a good 100% player. I always thought Charlie Hartfield was similar.

s-l225.jpg

Scored two goals at Crewe away May 1982. I don’t remember a thing about the goals just the celebrations on the uncovered terrace at the railways line end. Though I think we were given three quarters of the ground, or did we just take it anyway?

That was my first away game with me mates on the football special.. a genuine rite of passage and a feeling that is still with me even when I go away these days.

This is what I think of when King's name is mentioned, I was getting updates on the radio and we were 2-0 down which I couldn't believe as we were wrecking most teams, came back to win 3-2 if memory serves.

Went to that Crewe match, won 3 -2 if I'm reyt but it was a tough game.
One of the goals will stick with me forever. Ball into the crowded box, a big scramble and every player seemed to be on the deck. The ball was somehow aloft like you see in the cartoons. King was up first followed by players from both sides, and he knocked them all back down then put ball in net.
First memories are of him in the pigskin booting Sabella up and down, sometime after xmas one year.

In seeking out a photo of him, I stumbled across an article about him on BladesMad. According to them he scored a stunning goal at Elm Park Reading! Methinks they've nicked that description from elsewhere - because they forgot to mention that it was in his own net! :D

There was a piece about him in the programme that alluded to off the field problems. It said he had his contract cancelled in 1982/83 but came back. I remember the Kop singing "Kingy is back" when he scored in a 3-0 win over Orient on New Years Day 1983 but just assumed he'd been injured. Problems with booze?
Yeah I remember that. I didn’t know either at the time that his contract had been cancelled and, like you, thought he was just back from injury.
I know after he’d retired he had problems with the drink, for a while he was living in a bedsit above my mate in Nether Edge. I hope he’s managed to deal with it.

From what I heard since then it wasn't injuries or booze (or drugs or gambling for that matter) !!! At the time I could never work out why Kingy wasn't in the team as he had been excellent in the run in the previous season.

I managed to have a word with him as he walked back to his seat in the stand ,very nice bloke , he told me that he loves coming back to the Lane and comes often , he also made a remark about the style of football today , & made a point that in his day that these fancy players would have been launched into the stands!

I remember when it was announced that we were to sign King. I already knew him from his time at Wednesday, and what I recalled was a hard working, no holds barred player with more than a modicum of skill. Although relatively slight of build, King was fearless, almost the archetypal Scottish nutter, and would go through brick walls if it was needed. He never gave less than 100%, and I suppose he was a creature of his time, but his displays were never less than worthy of someone who wore the red and white stripes.

43164A91-D46F-4FE5-B7A7-67788E4EBBA4.jpeg A4EB9706-5DC8-4A39-94C1-5BA28150397E.jpeg

I liked Kingy , I know a few didn’t want him as he came from the other half of the city at a time when cross city moves were a rarity’s. He was a grafter in midfield & exactly what we needed for the second half of the 4th Division campaign & very rarely saw him have a poor game always one of the consistent ones who are out of the limelight , as said above think his best game was the 3-2 win at Crewe , certainly deserves some recognition

I was at that match. :)

If memory serves me - didn't he score the winner at Rochdale on an ice pitch when the match had been postponed about 3 times due to snow and ice ?

View attachment 46068 View attachment 46067

I liked Kingy , I know a few didn’t want him as he came from the other half of the city at a time when cross city moves were a rarity’s. He was a grafter in midfield & exactly what we needed for the second half of the 4th Division campaign & very rarely saw him have a poor game always one of the consistent ones who are out of the limelight , as said above think his best game was the 3-2 win at Crewe , certainly deserves some recognition
We had trouble parking at Crewe, and got in their sardine can ground just after theyd took an early lead.
Was a real ding dong of a game, similar to the 4-3 win at York. King was the right player at the right time and a porterfield master stroke. not something you hear very often

We had trouble parking at Crewe, and got in their sardine can ground just after theyd took an early lead.
Was a real ding dong of a game, similar to the 4-3 win at York. King was the right player at the right time and a porterfield master stroke. not something you hear very often

Yeh renember it well think BTL I think Trusson bagged a couple that day , i went up for the league cup match early season to, that was a tight game 1-1 ,Keith Walwyn played up front them caused our two centre halves some problems , he was built like a brick shithouse he was a good centre forward at that level .

If memory serves me - didn't he score the winner at Rochdale on an ice pitch when the match had been postponed about 3 times due to snow and ice ?
No that was Edwards. I was there that day. Conditions were atrocious and we were one of only a handful of games that were played.

Prefer his contribution away at Bury where he set up an Edwards winner with a good run and cross. I was behind the goal in the away and and saw it all (seemingly in slow motion) as the cross came over and you just knew Edwards was going to bury the header. Cue pandemonium.
Remember that, midweek wasn't it and the goal was very late on, equaliser and a crucial point at the time if memory serves. As you say as soon as the cross went over you knew what was going to happen.

Back to the op, I remember him having a belter at the Crewe game around the same time, might even have scored that day.

(Note to self - read all posts before replying :))

Back
Top Bottom