Jamals fuck up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's definitely in the list of players you could drop in a PL team and he'd cope. I might be being harsh but I don't feel.the same about Moore (maybe because it annoys me how much he models how he looks on Joe Hart )

Totally agree.

Jamal has this slow, lazy looking, calm relaxed style but maybe that because he’s a giant, very tall and bulky.
I’ve never seen a goalie make catching crosses look so boringly easy.

He’s doing a good job so far, although he has weaknesses centred around communication and decision making/ coming off his line,
he’s still only young and has great potential. I like Moore but Jamal has the shirt and deserves to keep his place.

That’s what I’m seeing too. His communication, decision making/coming off his line isn’t great. I also think his distribution is poor at times. And I don’t just mean his kicking, but passing it out to defenders and putting them under pressure. I also think he is slow to get down and too easily beaten by low shots.

Other parts of his game are good. But no, I’m not convinced. Because I think the things that are highlighted here are genuine concerns and from past experience these things are red flags about a keeper to me.

That’s not getting on his back, that’s just saying it how I see it. He’s not had a lot to do in all fairness because he’s playing behind a very good defence. Let’s see how he does over the next 13 games then we may have a clearer picture.

That’s what I’m seeing too. His communication, decision making/coming off his line isn’t great. I also think his distribution is poor at times. And I don’t just mean his kicking, but passing it out to defenders and putting them under pressure. I also think he is slow to get down and too easily beaten by low shots.

Other parts of his game are good. But no, I’m not convinced. Because I think the things that are highlighted here are genuine concerns and from past experience these things are red flags about a keeper to me.

That’s not getting on his back, that’s just saying it how I see it. He’s not had a lot to do in all fairness because he’s playing behind a very good defence. Let’s see how he does over the next 13 games then we may have a clearer picture.
Still blaming him for Reading's goal? Have you seen it again?

Still blaming him for Reading's goal? Have you seen it again?

Not blaming him entirely no because others were implicated. But I think he was marooned on his line waiting for someone else to clear it and a more decisive keeper would have come out.

Not blaming him entirely no because others were implicated. But I think he was marooned on his line waiting for someone else to clear it and a more decisive keeper would have come out.

Not blaming him? You said yesterday that he cost us the goal

Your post

"Take our goalkeeper, Blackman. He just stood and watched again yesterday as the ball is rolling across his six yard box. He hesitates. He wants his defenders to get rid of balls like that rather than going for them himself. He cost us a goal yesterday and he's done similar in other matches - stood, glued to his line, hoping the defenders will clear the danger for him. But few people will speak up about this because everything else is going so well. What will happen here is it will take an almighty cock-up by him, one that costs us 3 points, before the majority come to the conclusion that a few of us can see very clearly now - he isn't good enough.

The sooner we replace him with Moore, the better, imo."

Is it next week dad ?
Cant understand what this guy has to do to win some over ,usual nobheads on praise and grumble want him replaced ,Deaders only gave him a 7.5 ,is it simply we cant find owt else to mump about ? He is becoming a cult figure for me, best since Kenny.

Thanks for the mention, Sitters :)

Just be careful about those pesky apostrophes, eh?

Did you think Mel Rees was a good keeper ?

Would have come out and done what? Unless he predicted exactly where the ball was going to be and set off before it had even been played there was no chance of him coming out and stopping the cross on Saturday.

You say that he gets beaten too easily by low shots but considering only Cardiff have conceded less than us I’d like you to give some examples.

And here is some statistical bollox to play with. It shows shots on target per game. Goals scored against predicted goals scored. Plus a bonus 'error' column where the actual goals scored is more or less than expected/predicted.

Make of this what you will.

All columns are sortable (as the actress said to the bishop).

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=corr_defence

There are not many Premier League goalkeepers who have made as few errors as Jamal this season, and they have not played as many games. Big clubs like Liverpool and Man City have their problems in this area. In some cases it appears to be because they are instructed to play short passes, and as the last line of defence their errors are punished. It was interesting that the Huddersfiald goalie gifted Swansea a goal recently, and then on Saturday he launched a huge kick which was the assist for their 2nd goal. In my view they need the freedom to launch it long occasionally/if necessary. Any views, Pinchy?

There are not many Premier League goalkeepers who have made as few errors as Jamal this season, and they have not played as many games. Big clubs like Liverpool and Man City have their problems in this area. In some cases it appears to be because they are instructed to play short passes, and as the last line of defence their errors are punished. It was interesting that the Huddersfiald goalie gifted Swansea a goal recently, and then on Saturday he launched a huge kick which was the assist for their 2nd goal. In my view they need the freedom to launch it long occasionally/if necessary. Any views, Pinchy?

Yes, agreed, so long as it’s not plan A and doesn’t routinely miss out Midfield. Our system revolves around (mainly) Coutts-Royce starting the play from deep. He can’t do that if it’s launched skywards over his head, nor do I want to watch my team display such rubbish.

We don’t really want Lurch lumbering to the half way line in this century, do we?

Bump.

Another supposed Blade identifying Jamal as a "potential" weak link on Praise or Grunter tonight (by text), and recommending Moore's immediate re-instatement.

Honestly, what is it with some people ? I'm reminded of those neocon nobs surrounding Bush jr, who recommended waging multiple, simultaneous, major-theatre wars in far-flung parts of the world, just in case a weapon of mass destruction might, possibly, on the off-chance, at some unspecified point in the future, be perhaps discovered somewhere. Maybe.

So far, just 1 (ONE) team's back 5 in the Championship (Cardiff) have conceded fewer goals than our's--10, as opposed to our 12.

ffs. Grrrrrrr.

Bump.

Another supposed Blade identifying Jamal as a "potential" weak link on Praise or Grunter tonight (by text), and recommending Moore's immediate re-instatement.

Honestly, what is it with some people ? I'm reminded of those neocon nobs surrounding Bush jr, who recommended waging multiple, simultaneous, major-theatre wars in far-flung parts of the world, just in case a weapon of mass destruction might, possibly, on the off-chance, at some unspecified point in the future, be perhaps discovered somewhere. Maybe.

So far, just 1 (ONE) team's back 5 in the Championship (Cardiff) have conceded fewer goals than our's--10, as opposed to our 12.

ffs. Grrrrrrr.
i'm getting suspicious about this. it's like a coordinated campaign

I sense an agenda here. Where would he have come out to had he been "marooned on his line"? Just tell us where he should have been Cerberus. Watch it again and use the 6 yard box as a measure. When the Reading player turns it in, Jamal is in the proper position to cover the shot. That is at about 2 yards advanced from his line at an angle to the assumed approach. FFS, if he had been "marooned on his line", he actually would have had a better chance at saving it because he could have chucked himself to the left parallel to his line. As it was, the ball was then played at a slight diagonal at speed across him to where our remaining defender got his feet in a tangle.

He was not "marooned on his line". If you want to try and pick spots off him at least get it right. I think one of your previous posts also criticised him for not being on his line. Now let's from a goalkeeper's perspective analyse what he could have done as a counsel of perfection. He could have been a yard further forward when the ball was played to the Reading player who passed it across. That would have invited the shot rather than the cross, as advancing hurries the player and doesn't give him time to make a good pass. Jamal is also in a position then to attempt the interception. But as with all things, it is a question of balance. What you win with being slightly more advanced you lose on time to react or covering the lob/chip etc etc etc. It's not a precise science it'a a question of feel, experience, risk and reward, kidology, odds and angles and bravery.

He's not perfect. He does take time to get down when it is close to him because he's got further to go shifting enough body to drop. But equally he is physically imposing and he'll not be beaten in the air and his reach is better than most when he is down.IMHO Moore is a better "reaction keeper" and takes less risk on distribution. Swings and Roundabouts.

Luckily a Wilder team is picked on ability and form. At the moment Jamal may not be the finished article but he and it isn't "broke" so he and it doesn't need fixing IMHO and manufacturing faults that don't exist doesn't help.

There’s a lot of nit picking here. Jamal has a commanding presence in the box. Although Simon had a great season IMHO it will take a lot to dislodge Jamal from his position

No keeper would have stopped that Leeds goal.

I think a top Prem keeper might have, but certainly none of our keepers would, which is the most important consideration in any debate on whether he stays in the team. It was a difficult shot – 1 in every 100 of those he might save. He was faultless in everything else he did in what was another calm and assured performance.

I sense a 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' theme for JB. Are we now saying he should have had better reflexes for Leeds' goal? 'Moore would have got to that.' It's petty.

He's first choice keeper and played all our games so far. He's bound to make mistakes and not keep clean sheets.

We don't see what he/Moore do in training all week either so rest assured as always, I'm happy with CW picking the starting team. Not worked out too badly so far.

can't believe this threads still going,second best defence in the league and top .when moore got injured I'd have settled for whats happened between the sticks since then.

Interesting one this.

On the one hand we have the second 'meanest' defence in the league having conceded only 12 goals which is not just down to the keeper but the defence as a whole of which obviously the keeper plays a major part.

On the other hand.......in player rating which usually are voted for by around 100 forum users.....

2017/18 Blackman is 8th highest rated player over the season so far and no higher than 10th over the last 6 matches. 1 MOM so far.

2016/17 Moore was 5th highest rated player over the whole season with 6 MOM awards.

2015/16 Long 1st highest rated over the whole season (above Sharp and Brayford) with 10 MOM (but as we all know Long was useless).....

I have taken these stats from the Forum Ratings pages as voted for by Forum Blades fans.
As someone said though, Wilder picks the team and we aren't doing too bad this season so far so I can't see him changing anything.....

Last edited:
Jamal is better than Moore when it comes to shot stopping, no questions asked. If Jamal can't reach or get to something no way could Moore, simple as.

Why people want him dropped is beyond me, the only reason I can think of is that he's not our keeper but I don't hear the same complaints about CCV. They could both be ours next year if we go up, albeit on loan again. I would hazard a bet that neither of them will be in the championship next year if they carry on playing like they are - if we go up or not.

Interesting one this.

On the one hand we have the second 'meanest' defence in the league having conceded only 12 goals which is not just down to the keeper but the defence as a whole of which obviously the keeper plays a major part.

On the other hand.......in player rating which usually are voted for by around 100 forum users.....

2017/18 Blackman is 8th highest rated player over the season so far and no higher than 10th over the last 6 matches. 1 MOM so far.

2016/17 Moore was 5th highest rated player over the whole season with 6 MOM awards.

2015/16 Long 1st highest rated over the whole season (above Sharp and Brayford) with 10 MOM (but as we all know Long was useless).....

I have taken these stats from the Forum Ratings pages as voted for by Forum Blades fans.
As someone said though, Wilder picks the team and we aren't doing too bad this season so far so I can't see him changing anything.....

Think its hard to tell on votes though - its not like he's been massively busy the last few games... Hard to rate someone highly when they have had bugger all to do for large chunks.

His kicking isn't brill but i've seen good command of his area and shot stopping and cant really remember him putting a foot wrong.

Back
Top Bottom