Jake Wright...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Better option, at the moment, than Basham and Stearman, for me.
Nayow, I love him Wright but Bash was fantastic today, they complement each other perfectly. Stearman's a great backup though, agreed

Nayow, I love him Wright but Bash was fantastic today, they complement each other perfectly. Stearman's a great backup though, agreed
He gave the ball away stupidly one quite a few occasions, where it was more than avoidable.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he has been a liability at times so far this season - Boro and Cardiff in particular.

He reads the game and sniffs out danger as well as any player I have seen play for us in many years.

One instance today, quite late on in the 2nd half when the Dingles were putting us under pressure. One of them controlled the ball in the box under pressure and only had to poke it into the path of another of their players to set up a free hit from 5 yards out. Out of nowhere Wright was there, he just strolled into the danger area just as the ball was played, beat their player to it and cleared the ball. Every other United player looked flat footed by comparison.

It happened quite quickly so I am probably Not describing it well but I remember thinking to myself, how the hell did he read that?

Does anyone actually believe we would have looked any worse today with Stearman in the team?

Good performance from Wright today and he deserves the praise, but he needs to do it against better sides before I'm going to think he is better than Stearman.
what's stearman done so far?? .. just remind me again

He reads the game and sniffs out danger as well as any player I have seen play for us in many years.

One instance today, quite late on in the 2nd half when the Dingles were putting us under pressure. One of them controlled the ball in the box under pressure and only had to poke it into the path of another of their players to set up a free hit from 5 yards out. Out of nowhere Wright was there, he just strolled into the danger area just as the ball was played, beat their player to it and cleared the ball. Every other United player looked flat footed by comparison.

It happened quite quickly so I am probably Not describing it well but I remember thinking to myself, how the hell did he read that?

I saw that, and agreed, the most intelligent centre half we have had for many years. Can't understand why most of his career has been spent at Conference level, last season was a big step up for him & I didn't really expect him to figure this season, but he was great today.

Tony Book did similar for Man City many years ago, signing from Bath City in his 30s if I remember correctly, and becoming a club legend.

No, he's done it well, we haven't conceded many have we?

I understand the mentality of needing a scapegoat though, so fill yer boots.

Stearman is a good player and has proved it throughout a long career.
we look more comfortable with jake in there.. that's it edit i don't think he'd work in a four though

Tony Book did similar for Man City many years ago, signing from Bath City in his 30s if I remember correctly, and becoming a club legend.

Book made his FL debut when he was 30 playing for Plymouth. Went to Manchester City when he was nearly 32 and made 244 league appearances for them, captained them to win the league in 1968, captained them to win the FA Cup in 1969, captained them to win the League Cup and the Cup Winners Cup in 1970

tony-book-manchester-city_16xnv1nhpra3e1fg52zsleuszo.jpg

Brilliant today and I thought his presence gave confidence to both lads at either side of him.

Agree completely.

In addition, as was apparent last season, the performances of our midfielders is also noticeably elevated a level when Wright is behind them. Fleck, Coutts and Duffy - notwithstanding that Coutts in particular has been excellent in all 4 league games to date - all had very good performances today. Wright is obviously a good talker and clearly spreads confidence through the spine of the team.

So that's Jake Wright that's like Tony Book and, on another thread, David Brooks is like Colin Bell. If we can get someone in who's like Mike Doyle was for Citeh, then we'd have the start of a really gooood team.

So that's Jake Wright that's like Tony Book and, on another thread, David Brooks is like Colin Bell. If we can get someone in who's like Mike Doyle was for Citeh, then we'd have the start of a really gooood team.

Duffy's a bit like Franny Lee with all the hustle and bustle.

Utterly fucking immense today; he was unlucky that the MoM award was announced before the end of the game as he pushed Duffy really close.

Seemed to be giving Fleck a rocket then Fleck flew into a tackle.

Totally agree with this and all the similar posts. Thought he was excellent. I always felt he would make the step up. Looked comfortable today. Let's hope he can do it against the better teams. I think he will. He reads the game and organises the other defenders. Funny you never know who will be able to step up. Loads on here said Duffy wouldn't but I think he has. Coutts has but I think Fleck still has some way to go. I thought Freeman would have no problem but has struggled. For me Wright will become a legend for us.

I've decided to bounce this back just because once again last night at Bolton he just goes about his business of marshaling the defence with ease.

I am sure he also contributed to CCV's performance as he did last season with JOC.

He is a legend in the making :)

UTB

He's one of those unsung hero's we all talk about when his career is over

TBH, we have a team full of em at the moment and I'm loving it :)

He blocked two attempts on goal which were excellent.

He won man of the match for me slightly ahead of CVV. Just for the blocks that he's headed away. Very very good defending.

Back
Top Bottom