Jake Wright...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To a point...

I agree he had a great season with some superb reading of the game and always making the right choice when called upon. Sadly I think his lack of pace may mean he has to be used sparingly.
Agree with you totally on his game reading and organisational skills we looked so much better set up across the back when Jake played, plus his results record being undefeated in the games he played speaks volumes. I think a lot will depend on whether we switch to a back four next season, as if we do his perceived lack of pace could potentially be less exposed in a four with 2 speedy full backs rather than in a back 3 where sometimes the quick wide man last year did require Jake to execute one or two rather Chris Morgan type 'though shalt not pass' last ditch leg wipe out tackles.
Be very interesting to see what further signings Wilder makes for the defence prior to the season kicking off.

It's not all he has to worry about though. There are better players in the championship than that pair of tits.

I think the big difference between him and Jags is that Jags has played in the PL for ten years and captained England.

Other than that they are pretty much the same though. Other than jags being quick when Wright isn't.

OK. Tin hat on. Someone has to break up the love in. Only played in 29 games both last season and the season before. Looked really good in a 3 but we're not going to play that as much next year.

When caught one on one, he usually ended up "taking one for the team".

Decent back up in the championship.

To a point...

I agree he had a great season with some superb reading of the game and always making the right choice when called upon. Sadly I think his lack of pace may mean he has to be used sparingly.
lack of pace

didnt lose in any game so no league one player took advantage of his as you put it tortoise like speed

tell me how many Usain Bolt speedster defenders can you name in the championship

OK. Tin hat on. Someone has to break up the love in. Only played in 29 games both last season and the season before. Looked really good in a 3 but we're not going to play that as much next year.

When caught one on one, he usually ended up "taking one for the team".

Decent back up in the championship.

29 is two thirds of the season the same number as EEL
Some players get injured, he wasnt dropped

29 is two thirds of the season the same number as EEL
Some players get injured, he wasnt dropped

"Some players get injured", indeed that is true and its likely to be Wright given his last two seasons.

Don't get me wrong, he was probably the best pound for pound signing in English football last year, but he's unlikely to play even 29 games next season.

Not quite Bob Booker yet but a similar story all the same.. You knew what you were gonna get from Bob straight from the first time he pulled on the shirt and you can see similarities with JW

Not quite Bob Booker yet but a similar story all the same.. You knew what you were gonna get from Bob straight from the first time he pulled on the shirt and you can see similarities with JW

Lots of differences too, but I can see what you mean. Wouldn't it just be fantastic if Wright's last significant act was to score away from home to keep us up in the premiership. We can but dream.

Is that the same lack of pace that was going to hamper young "leadboots" PL chances?

No it's not.

Harry started in midfield and was very comfortable coming forward with the ball. He was also stronger in the air than JW and in the tackle.

JW seems to have only one strength, but it is a wonderful one. He can read the opposing forwards and where the ball will go. On several occasions when facing two strikers, he unfailingly picked the right option.

He will get caught out if he tries to play too far forward as he has no pace, but facing his man he is superb. In the right system he will be okay and will helpfully bring JOC and Basham on too.

Thought he looked quality today. Would like to see him against a good side but I believe he's at least Champ level

Great player, he will make the step up, I never had any doubts as some have have on here without even seeing him play.

Excellent today, just gets on with it. His positioning is great, and so calm under pressure.

Last player I saw read a game as well as what Wright does was Paul McGrath.

Mr dependable. Always looks calm and composed. Some great tackles today and I'm a little more confident it Wrighty than Stearman at the moment ( although Stearman has done nothing wrong).
Im sure I have said it before but I'm sure Wilder never foreseen Wright has a first team player, I'm sure he brought in him as a yes man, a reliable player he knew to support him.
but he keeps surpising everyone when given the chance to play and is truly has been Mr Dependable for us.
+Got no problem Wilder playing Stearman over him for the first few games with his Championship exprience.

Love the bloke. Like Duffy, he just chilled everything out today, composed and calm and gives everyone more confidence.

I don't know why so many assumed he couldn't take the step up. He reads it perfectly, calming down Jack O'Connell and Bash and letting them attack the ball while he mops up- perfect balance. He reminds me a bit of David Holdsworth but definitely he's like Lee Sandford was alongside Shaun Murphy, just reads it and keeps it ticking.

Better option, at the moment, than Basham and Stearman, for me.

I said this before; Jake Wright WILL cope with the championship whilstever he quick defenders (JOC and Basham) either side of him.

He proved that point today.

It was unfair for him lose his spot, but now he can reclaim it.

Thought Jake was outstanding today!

Just reads the game so well, and no disrespect to Stearman, but for my money Jake would get the nod on current form.

Off topic, Ched needs some game time doesn't he?

Does anyone actually believe we would have looked any worse today with Stearman in the team?

Good performance from Wright today and he deserves the praise, but he needs to do it against better sides before I'm going to think he is better than Stearman.

Back
Top Bottom