Jagielka - Nostalgia

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That goal by Jags, if scored by a Premier league striker, would be all over the news. What a night that was. South Stand H Block and a proper edgy atmosphere just added to it all.

The Boro one was special for different reasons. I think it was the first win wasn't it?

As for Jags the keeper, am i right in thinking that Geary also had a spell in goal, perhaps Millwall away. I know Del scored a cracker down there, but i have a memory of him going in goal too.

That goal by Jags, if scored by a Premier league striker, would be all over the news. What a night that was. South Stand H Block and a proper edgy atmosphere just added to it all.

The Boro one was special for different reasons. I think it was the first win wasn't it?

As for Jags the keeper, am i right in thinking that Geary also had a spell in goal, perhaps Millwall away. I know Del scored a cracker down there, but i have a memory of him going in goal too.

No, Jags was in goal for all 2nd half after Muscat and Kenny were sent off for fighting in the tunnel (Muscat 'the shithouse' nutted Paddy).

4 foot 11 Geary in goal?
There's something wrong with your memory.

Lads a legend, i spoke to him at the 125yr dinner, it was the night he scored the equalizer v Liverpool, he was on top form and clearly still loved the Blades and was very close with the Quinn brothers, Paddy, Michael Brown and a few other ex players from that era on his table.

I think a press hack got confused, and in several papers the following day, they reported Geary as going in goal. Made the goal he scored even more remarkable.

I think a press hack got confused, and in several papers the following day, they reported Geary as going in goal. Made the goal he scored even more remarkable.
I think it was the following game when we played them not when he scored

Phil Jagielka has announced he is retiring. What a career, thanks for the memories. That goal against Leeds is my highlight.
Criminally underrated (not amongst Blades of course) - when you look at the career Maguire is having, Jags was so much better. He could defend just as well but was athletic, could dribble, pass and of course could bang in a 30 yarder.

Most other fans will see him as a steady defender, they won’t remember he was Championship player of the year (not just blades poty) playing in central midfield for us, running the show every game.

Back
Top Bottom