It wasn’t broken was it.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sirius

Well knownBlade
Reaction score
Had we been able to keep the side injury free that finished last season and gone with those players IMO we would not be in theposition we find ourselves now. signing new players has to be a gamble. Will the new lads fit in.? How long will it take for a revised ream to gel?
I accept Wilder’s assurance that we have a tight knit squad but only eleven can get on the pitch and every player will put his own interests first
Is it a question of ‘The devil you know’ a player well integrated into the Wilder way, not disrupting the squad or risking new players

Remember ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t mend it

We needed new signings, the end of last season proved that, just not sure we’ve spent our money wisely.

Had we been able to keep the side injury free that finished last season and gone with those players IMO we would not be in theposition we find ourselves now. signing new players has to be a gamble. Will the new lads fit in.? How long will it take for a revised ream to gel?
I accept Wilder’s assurance that we have a tight knit squad but only eleven can get on the pitch and every player will put his own interests first
Is it a question of ‘The devil you know’ a player well integrated into the Wilder way, not disrupting the squad or risking new players

Remember ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t mend it
I’d look at it more that we’ve needed to do maintenance, we’ve seen that some players are reaching their limits Either technically, physically or just through age and we’ve brought new players in to either eventually replace them, as back up or to compliment what we have.

Its also worth noting that last season we managed to have very few longer term injuries and this season we’ve lost JOC and Fleck already.

We also had most players on form and didn’t need to bring back up in, this season we do and we need depth In the squad to cope.

As I said elsewhere, were in a transitional season. It’s something we’ve not really encountered too much under Wilder, we’ve built and replaced steadily but looks like now we’re having to make more changes as we change the look of the side

Wilder hasn't had much of a choice though.

If he could have O'Connell back, Fleck back and Mousset back, then I'm sure he would do.

Without adding a smattering of players he'd have little to bring in.

Plus the team has to evolve. McGoldrick and Sharp are well into their 30s. He doesn't have a choice to wait until they can't walk anymore before he recruits.

At present the signings since promotion on the whole haven't had enough impact. I'd say Ramsdale is looking decent now and so is Berge. It's the others that need to show more.

Players unavailable:

Henderson
O'Connell
Fleck
Mousset

Players unlikely to improve from last season:

Basham
Egan
Stevens
Jagielka
Rodwell
Norwood
Lundstram
McGoldrick
Sharp

Players needing time to adapt:

Bogle
Lowe
Ampadu
Brewster
Burke

Factor in:

Momentum gone
Playing style no longer unknown
Squad in transition
Good players costing fortunes
Unproven players also costing fortunes
Scouting not good enough

The above equates to a difficult season. Our best chance is our management game by game finding tactics that will give the players a chance of a result.

We limped over the line last season and nothing has changed. We've stopped doing what we're good at.
We’ve turned into this negative slow boring side who just sit back and wait for teams to attack us.
We are a totally different side to the one that came up who played without fear and attacked teams.
I often think back to the Man Utd game at home in which for an hour they couldn’t deal with us every time we went forward we looked like we were going to score. Now we’re totally opposite.

I think we're doing exactly as we were last season. Keeping games extremely tight.

Unfortunately this season we're leakier at the back without JOC. And have less creative spark without Fleck and Mousset.
Nahthen, don't come here being reasonable and sensible, we're the worst team that's ever existed, just been obliterated 1-0 and 2-1 by the other 2 wankest teams in the league and the world's about to implode n'all.

Nahthen, don't come here being reasonable and sensible, we're the worst team that's ever existed, just been obliterated 1-0 and 2-1 by the other 2 wankest teams in the league and the world's about to implode n'all.

As I said, people are allowing our last two opponents to disguise what a poor start we've had. We didn't win any of the previous five (or eight) games either, and none of them were against Liverpool or Manchester City.

We've been incredibly lucky over the last few years with injuries. Now we're simply getting the kind of injuries other clubs get. Man City don't have a striker. Liverpool had one fit CB. Sure, they have much better players to pick from, but injuries effect every team.

We're playing with fear. We were exciting and energetic and gave everything for the first half of last season. Then we seemed to notice how well we're doing and started worrying about giving points away, instead of just going out and giving it our all.

It's not like we're injury ravaged. Our best defender is out for the season. A first choice midfielder who lost his place is out as is a striker who mostly contributed from the bench. That's it. Not like we've lost 7 first team players.

As I said, people are allowing our last two opponents to disguise what a poor start we've had. We didn't win any of the previous five (or eight) games either, and none of them were against Liverpool or Manchester City.
I'm sure we all realise who we've played mate and what the scores have been, I'm not sure you're breaking exclusive news to us there.
I suppose people just have different interpretations of what they're watching and how disastrous (or not) it is. UTB

For what my tenpenneth is worth (10p), I agree we are in a transitional period. As for the incomings we have had, for me, Berge is class. Lowe is showing extremely good signs and I like him, Ampadu exactly the same and is a deffo step up for me (like him in midfield). Brewster and Bogle too early although Brewster has a definite footballing brain. McBurnie is a workhorse but slow. He badly needs to bag a goal or two for confidence but at the moment, he couldn’t hit a barn from inside. Burke is fast but, just at the moment, he also lacks confidence. I am sure that most of the guys lacking in confidence will become different players once we stumble to our first win. Make no bones though, some of our regular first team are looking at bench warming once these newbies are up to speed. I don’t think any have been bought as bench fillers.

We have lost 50 % of our best and most effective players.
What is left is not top ten but may be good enough for 17th

I'm sure we all realise who we've played mate and what the scores have been, I'm not sure you're breaking exclusive news to us there.
I suppose people just have different interpretations of what they're watching and how disastrous (or not) it is. UTB

I'm sure everyone does know, but it isn't stopping a lot of people hitting the same 'It's Liverpool and City for God's sake!' beats, as if the fact that we've just played those two negates the fact that we've lost to Leeds and Villa, and that we're the only team to not beat Fulham.

I wonder if people would react the same if we'd lost to City and Liverpool at the beginning of the season, and the Leeds and Fulham games had just happened (assuming all the results stayed the same). We'd have the same number of points but I think people wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss it all as a blip.

CW would have got pelters if he signed no one.
You can't expect players in there 30s to perform at 100% through an entire season.

Wilder was right to bring some new blood in. However the jury is still out weather they are the right players and in the right position.

Back
Top Bottom