Ipswich 2001 and 2002

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gavlar

eternal pessimist
Reaction score
I remembered today that years ago after promotion Ipswich finished 5th in the premier league in 2001 and then were relegated the following season.
There are some similarities with us although no covid of course. I wonder whether we could have carried on our form with fans and finished 5th last season?
We may well have struggled this season with fans as well. They were promoted then came down to earth with a bump. Are we the modern day Ipswich?

I remembered today that years ago after promotion Ipswich finished 5th in the premier league in 2001 and then were relegated the following season.
There are some similarities with us although no covid of course. I wonder whether we could have carried on our form with fans and finished 5th last season?
We may well have struggled this season with fans as well. They were promoted then came down to earth with a bump. Are we the modern day Ipswich?
No, were worse, were the modern day Sheffield United!!

We will never know where we would have finished if lockdown didn't happen.

I think it’s a fair comparison, their manager George Burley, similar to wilder was an ex right back for them and lauded for his positive tactics in the first season, never to be heard of again.
It’ll be interesting to see what wilder does next but whatever it is, good luck to him and I hope he is successful.

More like Sheffield United 1974/75 and 75/76. Just missing Europe then relegated the following season. We’ve been here before. Let’s hope we don’t sink to the fourth tier this time. Mind you the season in the fourth was one of my favourite seasons following the blades.
Reminds me we’ll still be here long after the Ken Furphy, Ian Porterfield and Chris Wilder’s.
UTB

I wouldn't equate the two. The United side that just missed out on Europe in 1975 had plenty of genuine top division quality players and two outstanding performers in Alan Woodward and Tony Currie. Currie was in his prime.

The problem was that for a whole batch of stalwarts 74/75 was a last hurrah. Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Flynn, Dearden all were coming to the end of distinguished careers with United. As usual we tried to replace them on the cheap with players from lower divisions. It ended up with us dropping into those lower divisions.

Much as I like and rate Didzy he isn't a Woodward or a Currie. As for the rest, CW spent most of last season telling everyone that they were playing above their natural level. Perhaps unsurprisingly, they seem to have taken it on board.

I fucking hope not, Ipswich have been consigned to 20 years of utter obscurity ever since. Not even a glimmer of resurgence.

Going to be pedantic for just a second here but they did finish in the Play Offs under Mick McCarthy not so long back.

But yeah other than that you're spot on, they've been hopeless otherwise.

Thankfully though we're Sheffield United who have a lot of ups and downs over shorter periods, so I'm optimistic we won't have 20 years of doing absolutely nothing like Ipswich.

Our best player at present also signed from Ipswich.

9th
You can't be beating Spurs Chelsea and Wolves and then blame empty stadiums and Covid for the games we lost
I hear you mate but taking months away in the middle of a great run backed by fans it’s really hard to know what difference it would make. We had so much momentum and that makes a massive difference like when we pipped Leeds the year before. And the bloody villa ghost goal.

I hear you mate but taking months away in the middle of a great run backed by fans it’s really hard to know what difference it would make. We had so much momentum and that makes a massive difference like when we pipped Leeds the year before. And the bloody villa ghost goal.

Yes, maybe you're right, we could never know how we'd have finished if the season hadn't been interrupted.

We'd probably have battered Villa in what would have been our next game, and them Brummy bastards will have got relegated

Yes, maybe you're right, we could never know how we'd have finished if the season hadn't been interrupted.

We'd probably have battered Villa in what would have been our next game, and them Brummy bastards will have got relegated
Villa were bloody lucky for sure.

1961- Ipswich promoted to 1st division for 1st time in their history.
1962 - League champions. 1st division teams baffled by Ipswich's 4-3-3 "wingless formation"
1963 - Finished 17th - Ramsey becomes manager of England.
1964 - Finished bottom

We're doing an Ipswich with the hope of doing a Wigan and avoiding doing a Derby with one eye on making sure we don't do a Sunderland next season whilst all the time thinking Liverpool. Make a scarf out of that lot.

Back
Top Bottom