If we don't go up this season what will happen ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

wavy-blade

Reaction score
Will Wilder stop another season , will some fans want him to stop another season ?
With Billy , Duffy , Leon , and a few others in there 30s will they do another season ?
I suppose you could have a thread with , if we do go up this season what will happen , but me been the forever pessimist I've gone with the negative one :( , I do think it's shit or bust this season in many ways through out the team and the club .

Depends.

Think Wilder will wait to see how the court case goes, don't think he'll resign immediately if we don't go up.

If it seems like it's going to drag on, he'll have a look around at whoever comes down managerless and see if they actually want to back him, or who doesn't go up.

If he gets offers he'll seriously consider them.

Best case if we don't make it, court case decided quickly, winner sells up or fronts up, money coming in and he says "third time's a charm".

Getting to the playoffs even if we don't win them would help.

Player wise. Bill and Leon are bench only you'd imagine, McG should be alright, we'll desperately need a Duffy replacement and if we can't get one, a new style of play.

JOC will probably go, but hopefully Bryan has made an appearance by then and we'll be reyt.

Most likely to attract interest imo are JOC, Stevens, and Fleck.

We'll need a new GK too because Hendo will be in the Premier League unless we get an owner with some bunce. Moore is a good middle of the road keeper but not someone you progress with in this division in my opinion.

If he leaves and is as candid as usual, and says something like "I love this football club, but I've taken it as far as I can with the backing I'm getting" whoever wins out of the bickering couple will be run out of Sheffield.

Then it would depend on the appointment. If we continue to play football we might be ok, it wouldn't be as magic but we still have good players. If we get someone like Pardew then the attendances will go through the floor and we could be in trouble.

I believe in our squad though, they'll be near. Just a bit of a push in January, a tiny bit of quality, and a bit more concentration.

I do think it's shit or bust this season

Though I think that we will all still be down at BDTBL next season with whatever players, manager and division we have.

Fulham seem to be enjoying their promotion and spending all that money.

2wins and 3 draws out of 17 games, why so many are fixated by the 'promised land' beats me.

Think we’ll lose players. Then again, maybe they’ve gone stale by then and we need a shake up anyway?

Will CW stick around and perform another miracle? Who knows- could anyone really blame him if he took a lucrative offer with better prospects? He’s already dragged us from the doldrums. Seriously: if during the Adkins/Scunthorpe lap of shame, someone had told you that in December 2018 we would be worrying about missing out on being promoted to the Premier League, we would have assumed they were on some severe drugs. If Wilder left tomorrow, he’s still dug us out of the shit and left us an established Championship side- basically where we were before the relegation season and the resulting parade of idiots on and off field.

But to be honest, its all riding on the owners “dispute”. All the talk is about how we will struggle this January window as we’re in limbo- what about the summer? The case is due to hear in May- even if its sorted and ended quickly, we could already be well into pre season before any new regime is actually in place.

So, to sum up-

Fuck knows.

So, to sum up-

Fuck knows.

And it's probably not worth worrying about at the moment.

Just support the team, see what happens.

Nowt we can do about it anyway unless about 6 of us win the Euromillions between now and May form a business and buy the club.

We will look back in a few years time and say to each other when stood on the terraces at Crawley, Stevenage, Etc “hey remember when we got close to the premiership under Wilder, if only we had given him a few quid and not taken the piss out of his loyalty, it would be us up there with Chris and not just him with Sunderland, Stoke, Newcastle etc”

We have so over achieved with the players we’ve got and the players we’ve sold that not taking advantage now will just mean the gulf will widen to impossible levels.

Get him backed and he will repay the loyalty with Premiership football. Think on Mr Macabe. Europe bound or Fleetwood bound??

Will Wilder stop another season , will some fans want him to stop another season ?
With Billy , Duffy , Leon , and a few others in there 30s will they do another season ?
I suppose you could have a thread with , if we do go up this season what will happen , but me been the forever pessimist I've gone with the negative one :( , I do think it's shit or bust this season in many ways through out the team and the club .

All will do another season, although if we have no one in behind them we don't have a front line after next season.

I'd like to think Wilder will at least see out the contract he signed, however if I'm him and I'm thinking long term then I think he'll get a move to a PL club at the end of this season, if he stays and we decline then it might not be as lucrative. The more I listen to Wilder the more I see that he's acutely aware of the issues and that he feels he doesn't have the tools for a "plan b" so almost sounds resigned to winning a few and losing a few whilst playing in the way he knows and loves.

Without some fresh impetus though I worry that next season will become a slog.

Though I think that we will all still be down at BDTBL next season with whatever players, manager and division we have.

2wins and 3 draws out of 17 games, why so many are fixated by the 'promised land' beats me.

What's the alternative?

All this talk of 'we're fucked if we don't go up this season' belongs on PorkTalk.

In the future, we'll look back on this season and last and realise we're not remotely close to going up - as Friday's game proved yet again. CW has got about as much as he can out of these players and it's all down to money. But how much is enough? Next season, three teams will come down with money for the next three years that we can only dream about. The teams emerging as front-runners in the Championship have all had recent spells in the PL and/or very wealthy owners - we're clearly punching above our weight. Again. And it will get worse - talk of fucking Reading with a £100m 'war chest' and Sunderland will still have £20m in parachute payments to go with the £25m they've got this season if they come up.

Will CW leave? I doubt it. It's part of being a Unitedite where we look for problems that don't exist. He's happy here. Frustrated? Probably, but loved. But he'll look at the permanently-haunted look on most PL manager's faces and realise it could be worse. Most managers claim to 'want a shot in the PL' but Neil Warnock is a prime example of how it can fuck your mind and health. Who knows what CW do in the PL? He'd probably 'do a Warnock'. So what if we did - somehow - go up? It would all begin again as most teams can't compete financially or on the pitch with the two Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

Even finding a 'rich foreign investor' is no guarantee of success - look at Bolton, Wednesday, Birmingham, QPR etc.

The key to United is holding on to CW/AK and I don't mean if they flounce off - that can happen at any time. No, the owners (and fans) must keep faith with our exceptional managerial team - as Norwich did with Farke after they finished 14th last season.

Me? I'm perfectly happy where we are at the moment. It's all about managing expectations so our all-too-brief spells at the top have led some to think it's the norm. It's the exception.

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches. That's why the same ever decreasing list of names pops up when there is a vacancy. The Premier League Millions means that owners will not take chances on managerial appointments. Some odd, lippy bloke from a place apparently called Sheffield will be well off their radar. They're sat at home, thousands of miles from Sheffield. The TV is full of games from Spain, Italy, France & Germany. They've heard of Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry. Appointing them gives them a hard on. Wilder? Who?

Wilder will be a brave man to just Walk from The Lane without another job lined up. To sit on his arse. With Homes Under The Hammer on. And the Blue Bin to put out. Hoping that West Ham will give him a ring. He walks from us. He's taking a chance. After a few months of flounce, maybe Bradford City will come calling. He'll have time to hone the speech "I know money is tight, but this is a new challenge for me..." Ditto, Sunderland.

If he leaves. He leaves. He wasn't putting the cones out when I was first a Blade. He won't be mugging in front of a Radio Sheffield Microphone when I take my last breath as a Blade. Hired Hands. I like the bloke. He's got the team playing great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. But, vast swathes of Social Media Blades seem to think he's one heartbeat from moving elsewhere. No he isn't....

All this talk of 'we're fucked if we don't go up this season' belongs on PorkTalk.

In the future, we'll look back on this season and last and realise we're not remotely close to going up - as Friday's game proved yet again. CW has got about as much as he can out of these players and it's all down to money. But how much is enough? Next season, three teams will come down with money for the next three years that we can only dream about. The teams emerging as front-runners in the Championship have all had recent spells in the PL and/or very wealthy owners - we're clearly punching above our weight. Again. And it will get worse - talk of fucking Reading with a £100m 'war chest' and Sunderland will still have £20m in parachute payments to go with the £25m they've got this season if they come up.

Will CW leave? I doubt it. It's part of being a Unitedite where we look for problems that don't exist. He's happy here. Frustrated? Probably, but loved. But he'll look at the permanently-haunted look on most PL manager's faces and realise it could be worse. Most managers claim to 'want a shot in the PL' but Neil Warnock is a prime example of how it can fuck your mind and health. Who knows what CW do in the PL? He'd probably 'do a Warnock'. So what if we did - somehow - go up? It would all begin again as most teams can't compete financially or on the pitch with the two Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

Even finding a 'rich foreign investor' is no guarantee of success - look at Bolton, Wednesday, Birmingham, QPR etc.

The key to United is holding on to CW/AK and I don't mean if they flounce off - that can happen at any time. No, the owners (and fans) must keep faith with our exceptional managerial team - as Norwich did with Farke after they finished 14th last season.

Me? I'm perfectly happy where we are at the moment. It's all about managing expectations so our all-too-brief spells at the top have led some to think it's the norm. It's the exception.

Agree with some of that. Particularly around the expectations that people have of us.

I'd also like to think that Wilder might understand that the grass isn't always greener. What he will want to guard against though is having to leave here on a downward spiral. If he sees the writing on the wall either next season or any time after that he'll be off without the stigma of a poor season on his CV. The board need to do their bit to avoid this, however I can't see that the current lot will do so it's just a case of waiting for the inevitable for me.

Not sure of the basis for the comment that Wilder will probably 'do a Warnock' as he's a completely different character and manager to Warnock. There's nothing to suggest he'd fail as he's done well at all levels so far.

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches. That's why the same ever decreasing list of names pops up when there is a vacancy. The Premier League Millions means that owners will not take chances on managerial appointments. Some odd, lippy bloke from a place apparently called Sheffield will be well off their radar. They're sat at home, thousands of miles from Sheffield. The TV is full of games from Spain, Italy, France & Germany. They've heard of Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry. Appointing them gives them a hard on. Wilder? Who?

Wilder will be a brave man to just Walk from The Lane without another job lined up. To sit on his arse. With Homes Under The Hammer on. And the Blue Bin to put out. Hoping that West Ham will give him a ring. He walks from us. He's taking a chance. After a few months of flounce, maybe Bradford City will come calling. He'll have time to hone the speech "I know money is tight, but this is a new challenge for me..." Ditto, Sunderland.

If he leaves. He leaves. He wasn't putting the cones out when I was first a Blade. He won't be mugging in front of a Radio Sheffield Microphone when I take my last breath as a Blade. Hired Hands. I like the bloke. He's got the team playing great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. But, vast swathes of Social Media Blades seem to think he's one heartbeat from moving elsewhere. No he isn't....

Good post. I agree, as things stand Wilder is going nowhere. I do worry that if he is constantly walking through treacle in terms of his playing budget then at some point he'll go elsewhere and the board need to remember this when they prey on his Bladeyness in order to not give him cash to play with.

You have it spot on Phil.
Wilder is a good manager with an impressive track record but is one of a number of english coaches who have done well recently he's done great for us but still has a job to finish here we all know what that is.
He will get looked at by some premiership clubs and possibly some big championship ones but none of them would really have the power to take him away from his first love whicwhich is us.
The really big clubs Wed not buy into him as he has no international experience as a player or manager which is a big factor when the big knobs are searching.

I’d rather go up and come down than stagnate like Ipswich have done for the last 14 years. Let’s be honest, other than the big 6, everyone else are making up the numbers in that division. Burnley peaked last season and look garbage this time round. Who knows, Dyche might be available when Wilder leaves (as I do think he will).

I think it’s time for us all to admit this club will never really aspire to anything other than ‘doing oreyt’. We’re financially stable, no embargo’s, no FFP limits, no wage killers - ‘a well run club’. And that’s all. There’s no ‘risk’ element to this club whatsoever.

The £170m or whatever it is for promotion should be enough to keep the wolf from the door for many years if consumed sensibly.

If no investment CW will leave.

The only option I think the board have without giving millions of pounds to spend is give him the best possible contract ever given to a manager at SUFC.

Basically sign the club over to him / give him shares / give him everything personally we can think of. Use of the pitch on a Sunday for his mates.....Anything.

Because I fear this is the last transfer window I see him being manager of our football club.

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches.

Or, like Carvalhal or Luhukay who - a quick check on Wikipedia would tell them - have done fuck all to justify the optimism.
Not sure of the basis for the comment that Wilder will probably 'do a Warnock' as he's a completely different character and manager to Warnock. There's nothing to suggest he'd fail as he's done well at all levels so far.

Assuming a PL team will be in the shit, have sacked their manager and are looking for a replacement, they'll want one who will 'hit the ground running' - there won't be time to 'see how it goes' with Chris in the PL. Plus the sense of entitlement that fans of clubs in the PL have, appointing somebody like Chris - a ragamuffin from the lower leagues - would be a 'lose, lose' for both the owners and Chris.

As I've said, I'm more than happy with the progress we've made in the Championship in the last one-and-a-half seasons. Next season - the difficult third album - will tell us more. Get off to a bad start, in a relegation fight by Christmas and teams coming here expecting to win and it could all look different. But who knows what's in the future?

Wilder will have 'leverage' with the board - a quick look at Brentford would tell them the effects of losing a bright, young manager. But for now, let's enjoy the ride and should be proud that other clubs may covet our manager - unlike that shower at S6 who would give him a lift out of town on the next D-Taxi. (and, unfortunately, I think Luhukay will be gone before the gathering of the delusionals this Thursday :().

The only option I think the board have without giving millions of pounds to spend is give him the best possible contract ever given to a manager at SUFC.

No way. We tried that with Porterfield and a guy can lose his hunger if his future is secure.

Basically sign the club over to him / give him shares / give him everything personally we can think of. Use of the pitch on a Sunday for his mates.....Anything.

Because I fear this is the last transfer window I see him being manager of our football club.
Bladezz
Do you think he'll quit, without another club to go to, and sit & wait for a call from a club with more ambition than us?
Or
Do you think some club, with more ambition than us will come in for him & he'll go straight from us to them?
Can you give an example of a club he might manage after us? Manchester United? Everton? Burnley? Watford?
I ask, because, personally, I just can't see it. So, when people seem so sure he'll move, I'm interested in how & where (not so much why) they see that happening

Bladezz
Do you think he'll quit, without another club to go to, and sit & wait for a call from a club with more ambition than us?
Or
Do you think some club, with more ambition than us will come in for him & he'll go straight from us to them?
Can you give an example of a club he might manage after us? Manchester United? Everton? Burnley? Watford?
I ask, because, personally, I just can't see it. So, when people seem so sure he'll move, I'm interested in how & where (not so much why) they see that happening

I appreciate the question is posed to Bladezz, but....

Yes. I think if at the end of the season if we don't go up and he's not been backed/he knows he won't be backed in the STW, he could quite conceivably just quit. I suspect he'd be disillusioned with the whole thing & the spectre of HRH taking control would cast a shadow. If he did this, i doubt he'd be unemployed for too long, as it would force a few clubs' hands.

I think that when the dust settles at the end of the season, a few more ambitious championship clubs still benefiting from parachute payments may choose to freshen things up and give CW a call. Those clubs could be ones who've failed to get promoted from champ and ones relegated from prem.

Depending on league position, i think that Leeds, Derby, Boro, Forest, Stoke, WBA and both Burnley & Huddersfield if they go down. I don't think that he'd get a gig straight away in the prem, it would be too much of a jump. He needs to take a team there, and prove himself at that level.

Back
Top Bottom