Ian Porterfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

John Ryan scored the goal, the goals are on You Tube unfortunately I don't know how to put on here.

Was the Bob Hatton goal in the 1 0 League Cup win against Arsenal?

Was the Bob Hatton goal in the 1 0 League Cup win against Arsenal?
Yes in the first leg, Keith Waugh caught an Arsenal corner at the Lane End, took a quick kick in whick Bob Hatton controlled on the left and beat two Arsenal defenders on a diagonal run to just outside the right of the penalty box before firing in a low shot past Pat Jennings.

Today would have been Ian Porterfield's 70th birthday. He is not considered to be one of our greatest managers, but I think I'm right in saying he is the only manager who left the club two divisions higher than when he arrived.
Also during every season that he was here, the club finished in a higher league position than the preceding season. In other words he improved the club's league position in every single season that he was here.
Came across this thread after finding out that Porterfield was Chelsea's first manager in the Premier League era.

I do believe Mr Porterfield can be joined in the two categories above by Chris Wilder. Shows just how remarkable the job done over the last three years has been.

sadomasochists
I’ve explained before I pulled in that car park to write a shopping list down. I dropped my pen, bent into the back of the car to pick it up and my trousers caught on the gearstick pulling them down when that backed woman opened my car door and started thrashing me with a branch while all those people just stood and watched. Not one tried to help they just Stood and used their camera phones.

6.42, my favourite goal ever. If I remember correctly it was lifted off the floor with a pass, took another 2 passes never touching the ground before Quinn volleyed it home.

1985 opening game of Season away at the old Victoria ground, had finished work that saturday morning, went home grabbed a bit of lunch, said ta ra to mum and dad, jumped in mi ford fiesta, drove down to stoke, parked up and went to Game, I know Withe got one poss 2, we won 3-1. Came out of ground had forgotten where i had parked car and spent 1/2 hr trying to remember where it was, found came back home the scenic route through the derbyshire dales and peak district, fantactic sat evening drive along with the result.

From memory, I think Dooley's biography suggests that his contract was that long, but I think he seemed to feel that Porterfield started treating Brealey with a certain amount of contempt and this also played a part in his undoing.

Added to that our attendances were almost at a post war low (reached their lowest point in the season after he left) and the crowds were getting restless. At that time it seemed that the higher up the league we went, the lower our attendances went.

Almost all Football was dying on its Arse in the mid 80s to be fair. Our massive Neighbours we’re getting about 15k in the top flight, Man U were rarely getting above 30k

Back
Top Bottom