I no longer have an ounce of sympathy for referees

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He really is a piss poor commentator. He was sagging the arsenal defence off, then as soon as they scored the winner praised them for doing a great job keeping us out.

He isn't a commentator or a very good pundit. I actually liked the bloke as a football but now I think he is a full weight tosser and have done ever since he got on TV.

He must have had blow someone to get his job because there are many better pundits than him.

We had Tierney earlier in the season and I said the same thing then. He's a disgrace to every referee in this country, amateur onwards.
He did the laughing and joking thing again when the opposition take ages bringing a sub off - he did that earlier on in the season as well.
I blame the current PGMOL system, the Bundesliga refs are so so much better

I watched the game on a stream, & the ex Arsenal "expert summerisor" himself was puzzled we didn't get quite few decisions!

Maybe he was pissed off with us because of all the stick he’s had because of his total incompetence on VAR when we played Villa?

Maybe he’s just totally incompetent full stop?

Or maybe we’re not a fully paid up member of the Premier League 50/50 club?

Either way this goon has in less than 2 weeks cost us 2 points in the league and done everything he could to see Arsenal through to the next round of the Cup. Apart from them getting every 50/50 and him buying every dive, he also gave them the penalty. No way would VAR have given it if he hadn’t in the the first place. The guy is a full weight twat!

The pundits, press, officials and to some extent the top teams know that they are going to be here season after season. They aren’t looking at the game the same way we do, there’s nothing at steak for them.
It’s a pity they aren’t at risk of being dropped to cover championship games if the viewers think they aren’t pulling their weight! I certainly think the same old faces on Sky’s ‘the Sunday supplement’ should make away for journalists covering the newly promoted teams once in a while.

Rio at half time - "Basham putting his foot there gives Lacazette the chance to exaggerate his fall"... What, so dive?

Obviously Basham’s fault the Arsenal player cheated. He let us down and Wilder should have a word in his ear.

Weve seen again today the bias. No way in hell do we get awarded that penalty decision. I honestly feel that psychologically they look for reasons to give the big club penalties and fouls, and reasons to not give them to teams like us. And no it's not us moaning - just look at the stats for the whole season. The bias is obvious.
Ref was shite absolutely bought everything the one when Fleck won the header between two Arsenal players at the end was laughable but the penalty it was a penalty 100% and yes we would have got it as I don’t believe they are bent - maybe incompetent

I’m actually getting to the point of ‘why bother?’

It seems to me Sheffield United will never be allowed to win anything and never be allowed to qualify for anything because we simply won’t be allowed to by bent refs and VAR.

Ref was shite absolutely bought everything the one when Fleck won the header between two Arsenal players at the end was laughable but the penalty it was a penalty 100% and yes we would have got it as I don’t believe they are bent - maybe incompetent

My problem with the penalty is this.....if that’s at the other end, the referee doesn’t give it and VAR won’t overturn it because it’s not a clear and obvious error according to Peter Walton on BT.

We had an equally as soft penalty shout at the other end waved away by the referee. VAR is not eradicating the inconsistencies in refereeing.

Rio at half time - "Basham putting his foot there gives Lacazette the chance to exaggerate his fall"... What, so dive?
Until the pundits etc. call it out for what it is it will carry on. It is cheating pure and simple. No way did the challenge cause that reaction. Football is a contact sport and not every contact is a foul a point many referees fail to grasp. It has almost become acceptable that a player goes to ground at the slightest touch. That would not have been a penalty at the other end. You can argue if it is a penalty or not but this is the type of decision that is nearly only awarded to the so called bigger teams. Tierney is just a poor referee equally incompetent on the pitch as behind a VAR monitor.

When you look at the stats, penalties given, Manchester United at the top with 11 us at the bottom with 1, ok you could say that man utd spend more time in the opposition box,
Var decisions in a teams favour, Manchester United top with +7 us at the bottom with -6( that's not including the glt that wasn't referred to var)
We've also had the least fouls given in our favour in the league

When you look at the stats, penalties given, Manchester United at the top with 11 us at the bottom with 1, ok you could say that man utd spend more time in the opposition box,
Var decisions in a teams favour, Manchester United top with +7 us at the bottom with -6( that's not including the glt that wasn't referred to var)
We've also had the least fouls given in our favour in the league
I think the only solution is to become a big club ourselves.

Only seen it on highlights, never was a penalty. Never. Not even sure he touched him.

and prior to that it's a much more obvious foul on Lundstram before he heads the offside goal in.

And you've got the worst football pundit of all time, laughing and joking when an Arsenal player goes down easily, but Freeman does it and lambasts him.

If its true that Tierney was in charge of the VAR against Villa I hope Wilder calls it out. I'm sick of referees being protected so much.
I thought that Freeman did get caught on the foot/ankle but apparently it was his own fault for "turning the wrong way into the Arsenal player" 🤭

The lad was already jumping in the air as soon as he sensed Basham was within a foot of him. He played the referee like the twat he was, because clearly he already knew what an incompetent idiot he was and that he would fall for it every time.

There is no way on God's green Earth that we get that penalty if it was the other way around. Firstly because the referee wouldn't give us a penalty against Arsenal unless the Utd's players legs had been amputated by a tackle, and secondly, the Utd players haven't been told to go down as if they have been shot when someone touches them with the force of a tickling feather, meaning that the Utd player would just have moved onto the next phase of play without even thinking about claiming a penalty.

The penalty decision today was a fkin joke. End of.

It was a really poor performance from the referee today. So eager with the whistle, you'd think it was a non-contact sport.

On balance, do people think we gain more or less from being as honest as we are in our play & treatment of referees?

Var decisions in a teams favour, Manchester United top with +7 us at the bottom with -6
Doesn't that mean that Sheffield United have been given more incorrect decisions in their favour by the on-field officials? Sorry to go against the grain, but that doesn't seem like anti-SUFC bias to me..

The best bit was when the Arsenal player sauntered off when subbed - having had a chat with most of his teammates on the way. Tierney quite happy to stand and watch - probably had a quick word himself to applaud him for his efforts.
He basically let them do whatever they wanted all through the game. He let them dictate to him the spineless bent fucker. The double subs - one strolled off first then Lacazette eventually decided to stroll after him after going round his team mates as you mentioned. At the first half drinks break - ref blew whistle to end the drinks break. Blades players got set to restart but Arsenal decided they’d have a bit longer having a team talk from Arteta before Tierney eventually sauntered over time ask them if they wouldn’t mind getting back to it. Then when Luiz injured himself he was off the pitch leaning on advertising boards grimacing then just walked back on pitch & sat down to delay the game. Tierney let them get away with it every time & said fuck all. Can only assume he’s either got no bollocks or he was being deliberately lenient. Or possibly both.

It was a really poor performance from the referee today. So eager with the whistle, you'd think it was a non-contact sport.

On balance, do people think we gain more or less from being as honest as we are in our play & treatment of referees?

We lose out in a professional sense as we aren't savvy enough to play the twat and roll around trying to conn the referee and cheat our way to getting penalties.

Whilst the bad decisions grind me gears and I get the 'too honest for our own good' argument, I can't stand to see us play acting and trying to cheat either as I like to see us win by earning it and not be having to fkin cheat. For that, CW and this current Utd squad have my unreserved respect.

Don't forget stopping the play to let the arsenal player receive treatment whilst he was off the pitch.

Doesn't that mean that Sheffield United have been given more incorrect decisions in their favour by the on-field officials? Sorry to go against the grain, but that doesn't seem like anti-SUFC bias to me..
You ignore the times VAR doesn't come to our rescue, like at Villa or soft touch technical fouls that aren't given on field in our favour like their pen today. VAR is still subject to the underlying bias that favours bigger teams

The only defence I can give for Tierney today is that he seemed even-handed, Arsenal just exploited it more. Every touch, every time a player stumbled, he blew up. I don't want to see us go down that route but it was less bias and more trigger happy.

Referees are too weak & soft nowadays.

Diving & grappling at set pieces could be solved overnight if they wanted.

I seriously believe that if the pen was the other way round we would have got a free kick on the line 🤷‍♂️

That's the only way we would have got a penalty as VAR would have had no choice but to overturn that. However, I'm not convinced the ref would even have seen it as a foul at the other end and VAR wouldnt have got involved to overturn that.

Championship and League 1 refs must be shaking their heads wondering if that is the standard what do they have to do to replace that incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom